Ways to save or reuse water and still enjoy our hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barterking85

Aquarium Advice Addict
I will start this off by saying some 14% of the water on earth is drinkable can you think of some ways to save or reuse water while still enjoying our hobby?

I have a couple ideas some practical some not
We could stop using the sink attachment on our pythons and let gravity do it's job.
We could use some of our water from water changes to water our flowers or lawn it has great fertilizers already in it.
A rainwater collector is a great idea expensive but an awesome way to save Money and water since most come with a filter so it's safe to drink

What are you thoughts or ideas??

I've planned to put together a rainwater collector setup to pipe into my continuous drip system. It's not too expensive if you DIY everything. It's not really for a conservation reason as much as it is just to get some fresh clean dechlorinated water into my aging tank, so that I don't have to dechlor the inbound water all the time.

I guess you could take the nasty fish waste water and run it through a filtration unit and use it again, by that point it'd be safe to drink. Would probably get expensive though, idk.

I don't really have an issue with conservation. I have a drain pipe in my fishroom that runs outside along a flower bed, I just have yet to set up the continuous drip system that will be utilizing it.

I just don't really agree with the concept of saving water because 14% of it is drinkable. I agree that wasting anything just to waste it isn't a good idea, but not because we are running out.

Where does this 'waste' water go? Evaporation, utilized by plants/animals, or back into the water table, right? Does that mean it's wasted, really?

The air on planet earth is only composed of 21% oxygen, should we conserve that as well?

Not being facetious, but that does make a valid comparison using similar logic.

jetajockey said:
I've planned to put together a rainwater collector setup to pipe into my continuous drip system. It's not too expensive if you DIY everything. It's not really for a conservation reason as much as it is just to get some fresh clean dechlorinated water into my aging tank, so that I don't have to dechlor the inbound water all the time.

I guess you could take the nasty fish waste water and run it through a filtration unit and use it again, by that point it'd be safe to drink. Would probably get expensive though, idk.

I don't really have an issue with conservation. I have a drain pipe in my fishroom that runs outside along a flower bed, I just have yet to set up the continuous drip system that will be utilizing it.

I just don't really agree with the concept of saving water because 14% of it is drinkable. I agree that wasting anything just to waste it isn't a good idea, but not because we are running out.

Where does this 'waste' water go? Evaporation, utilized by plants/animals, or back into the water table, right? Does that mean it's wasted, really?

The air on planet earth is only composed of 21% oxygen, should we conserve that as well?

Not being facetious, but that does make a valid comparison using similar logic.

Absolutely well said I I do like the idea that your drain pipe runs to your flower bed and a collector to supply your drip system is a great idea too for convenience if nothing else

And I completely agree that the water does go to other places it's needed but if we are using water faster then it can be replenished then in a sense we could be wasting it

But oxygen is out of our hands unless we plant more trees which we could help but that falls into how much can one person do we all need to follow suit to help a cause

Water is in our control not just by hobbyists but oil companies who use freshwater to cool there drills and such when they could use salt or brackish cause they use millions of gallons of water I just don't like the fact freshwater is used over an abundance of salt in this instance

I would worry more about what people dump in your water than how much they waste. The problem isn't a lack of water, it's lack of clean, drinkable water.

In reality, all the water on earth is drinkable...California gets some drinking water via desalinization. Is it cost effective? Depends on where you live I suppose.

The people who are having trouble with water, generally live in places that geographically are not good places to live if you want to use a lot of water(most of CA, AZ, NM, Vegas, etc..). Those people, yes, need to conserve.

Ask places in the NE if there is a shortage of freshwater....They will pay you to take it away.

I like to conserve water in order to keep my monthly water bill low! I do not have a ton of tanks though, so it is not a huge deal, but I do use my old tank water to water my flowers.:)

Sparky74 said:
If you need some freshwater....Russia has most of it.

Lake Baikal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not against conserving, but conserving tainted water doesn't do much good is all I'm saying.

Tainted how I am just saying it could be used to water plants instead of using clean water

I know the amount seems small for one person but if everyone did it that's a lot of water

Tainted how I am just saying it could be used to water plants instead of using clean water

I know the amount seems small for one person but if everyone did it that's a lot of water

I'm all for using "dirty" water for watering plants/etc. When I say tainted, I mean contaminated with chemicals like MTBE's and such, that you do not want to reintroduce into the water table. LI has plenty of wells that are undrinkable due to this. Plenty of water, but it will give you cancer if you drink it. :nono:

I'm in agreement with you, but I think sometimes people forget that the chemicals they dump on the ground make their way into the water table. I guess what I'm trying to say is conservation is only good if you have safe/drinkable water to conserve.

Last edited:
I agree on this thread 100% , in the part of AZ ( where I live ) a rain collector is out of the question cause we hardly get rain at all and a lot of us out here ( at least me ) have to use filtered, reverse osmosis , etc water cause tap water out here is really really hard. So what I do to help the water saving is after I drink a bottle of water if it gets luke warm and towards the end I save them and when it comes time to top the tank off or prime the filter I use the remaining water in all of the bottles. I know it's not much but sure bets throwing the remaining water away. This thread makes me think of more ways to help and save water cause AZ , water is not a norm.

Metalheadx said:
I agree on this thread 100% , in the part of AZ ( where I live ) a rain collector is out of the question cause we hardly get rain at all and a lot of us out here ( at least me ) have to use filtered, reverse osmosis , etc water cause tap water out here is really really hard. So what I do to help the water saving is after I drink a bottle of water if it gets luke warm and towards the end I save them and when it comes time to top the tank off or prime the filter I use the remaining water in all of the bottles. I know it's not much but sure bets throwing the remaining water away. This thread makes me think of more ways to help and save water cause AZ , water is not a norm.

Good for you I like to think small thinks will help

IMO we aren't running out of water or anything. The tank water to your lawn is a bad idea unless its used with carbon or like others said ran through a water filtration system (which get super costly at 30-50 dollars a filter) and reused but, what about all.the evaporation that will take place during all this. In the end the payoff is really achieved by just dumping it in a sink for the pros to take care of and not waste your money worrying about petty things like this. This is how the "global warming" ppl keep making money

Well, to the whole conserving water thing, I have grown up with my father making rain collecting barrels and selling them. In Georgia, we have water restrictions all the time due to the fight between us, AL, and FL in the "water war". Anyway, I reserve all of my water for my plants and to use to mist my gecko cage. I enjoy doing small things like this and honestly my goal career-wise is to go into some chemistry lab where I can develop ways of detecting and dealing with the harmful things in our water systems.

o.jonathan.o said:
IMO we aren't running out of water or anything. The tank water to your lawn is a bad idea unless its used with carbon or like others said ran through a water filtration system (which get super costly at 30-50 dollars a filter) and reused but, what about all.the evaporation that will take place during all this. In the end the payoff is really achieved by just dumping it in a sink for the pros to take care of and not waste your money worrying about petty things like this. This is how the "global warming" ppl keep making money

I couldn't disagree more tank water on your lawn is a great there is nothing in your tank water that isn't found in ferts
Maybe if your on sewer where water is recycled but some are on septic
I am not asking anyone to spend money just use water responsibly it not petty at all cause if water is being used faster then it's being replenished then we can run out fact
Like I said some factors are out of our hands such as evaporation
And last but not least global warming is happening fact water levels are rising and polar ice caps are melting sorry if I offended you but I absolutely disagree with all your statements not everybody lives in a place where water is an abundance

ryan-peddle said:
I couldn't disagree more tank water on your lawn is a great there is nothing in your tank water that isn't found in ferts
Maybe if your on sewer where water is recycled but some are on septic
I am not asking anyone to spend money just use water responsibly it not petty at all cause if water is being used faster then it's being replenished then we can run out fact
Like I said some factors are out of our hands such as evaporation
And last but not least global warming is happening fact water levels are rising and polar ice caps are melting sorry if I offended you but I absolutely disagree with all your statements not everybody lives in a place where water is an abundance

I live in a city where all water is recycled. The global warming in fact has been proven the ice caps have gained inches since they last checked. Al gore started the whole "global warming" thing to make himself some money because he wasn't elected president.

I have to disagree with dumping it down the sink as the best option. Maybe for you, but I have a sand mound septic system that cost 50k+ to replace. The more water that runs through it, the faster the sand compacts and the sooner it needs to be replaced. I don't dump anything down my sink that I don't absolutely need to. In fact I just spent $1k to fix a problem with ground water intrusion into my septic tank. So extra water down my sink is in fact the last thing I want.

And even if you are on a local sewage system, you really aren't saving anything by dumping it down the drain. The sewage systems all have a limited lifetime and cost based on just time itself, but also the amount of water/sewage that flows through the system during it's time in service. More water will equal shorter lifespan/higher cost. While you may not pay for it directly, it's part of your taxes.

As far as putting it on the lawn. I don't water anywhere near a stream/pond/lake or my well, but the places where I do water with tank water are green as can be. I water the houseplants with it as well and they all seem to like it.

Last edited:
o.jonathan.o said:
I live in a city where all water is recycled. The global warming in fact has been proven the ice caps have gained inches since they last checked. Al gore started the whole "global warming" thing to make himself some money because he wasn't elected president.

While I am no al gore fan water levels are rising take Shang hi for example and global temperature is rising pretty soon mother earth is gonna say I had enough

It's hard to say that he's not heavily financially invested in the whole deal, plus that deal a while back that showed that the scientists were fudging with the data to push their agenda, the entire thing looks kinda sketchy

It's sad that people are profiting and pushing political agendas into it.

So whether the earth is warming up directly due to man-made causes or if we are just in a brief warm period between ice ages, it's not really that relevant to conservation methods which is what the discussion is primarily about.

jetajockey said:
It's hard to say that he's not heavily financially invested in the whole deal, plus that deal a while back that showed that the scientists were fudging with the data to push their agenda, the entire thing looks kinda sketchy

It's sad that people are profiting and pushing political agendas into it.

So whether the earth is warming up directly due to man-made causes or if we are just in a brief warm period between ice ages, it's not really that relevant to conservation methods which is what the discussion is primarily about.

I totally agree i just think the Ice age Is tge earth saying enough from you guys but we will leave it at that thats another two sided coin back on topic

ryan-peddle said:
I totally agree i just think the Ice age Is tge earth saying enough from you guys but we will leave it at that thats another two sided coin back on topic

Thank you for saying that.... This thread was going off topic in a sense... We can all blame politics but we all just need to stop and realize we are just trying to find ways to help save water and money and enjoy are hobby and the same time here !

Back
Top Bottom