Wdyd with a 20 long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

All_fish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
If you had a free 20 long what would you do with it? Fresh? Planted? Reef? Community?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Put fish in it.

SW takes much more consideration (and money, and research) and you still don't get to have only a few fish. But cool!!!

Otherwise FW for sure. Start learning about nano fish. Have more little fish in a small space compared to commonly found /sold fish. Check out msjinkzd.com "Invertebrates by Msjinkzd - Specializing in invertebrates and micro fish from around the world." She has pics, (also sells), is a co-author of a book about nano fish and is a knowledgeable and kind person to work with.

What do you like?

Last edited:
I'm really finding that I enjoy my community tank a little more now that I have smaller fish in general in it. I love how my neons are brightly colored and shimmer blue. My dwarf blue gourami is a showpiece along with my betta, Patriot. If I had a long tank I think it would be a little nicer, because even with the extra gallons I think longer would be better. Rummy noses, or even glass catfish would be cool in something like that.

Apistogramma biotope. 3 fish and a whole Lotta attitude

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've been attempting a low light planted FW but it's been tough. Not wanting to get into CO2 and finding the right light, most of the plants have not done well and caused problems

Put fish in it.

SW takes much more consideration (and money, and research) and you still don't get to have only a few fish. But cool!!!

Otherwise FW for sure. Start learning about nano fish. Have more little fish in a small space compared to commonly found /sold fish. Check out msjinkzd.com "Invertebrates by Msjinkzd - Specializing in invertebrates and micro fish from around the world." She has pics, (also sells), is a co-author of a book about nano fish and is a knowledgeable and kind person to work with.

What do you like?

I have a 15 nano reef and a 75 planted South American cichlid. I'm wanting to do something with it and have no clue what to do.

I have a 15 nano reef and a 75 planted South American cichlid. I'm wanting to do something with it and have no clue what to do.

Then I would suggest a community tank. :) Anything you've liked that you can't put in either of your other tanks... the dither fish, the little ones, or the shy ones who are scared of everything including their shadow. :)

I would personally go for a heavily planted tank with some cool driftwood. Neon tetras for a school, a DG as a centerpiece and if there were space a pair of bolivian rams. Or a breeding tank for bolivian rams. I really like bolivian rams...

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

One fish that is pretty nice to watch is the Microdevario Kubotai. Around here they are about $5. each, I only have 5. Planning on more but they are good movers around the tank and bright. There should be a better group of them in my tank (very soon).

A nice little bottom fish is the Peacock Gudgeon.

Rams are beautiful - I love the Blue Rams.

IF you aren't interested in having CO2, and just want to kick it with normal lighting, some great low light plants are many (most) Crypts, Anubias - nana is awesome (not Pinto), Bolbitis heudelotii. I haven't yet started growing them but lots of Bucephlandras are lower light tolerant.

What about the focus of the tank on planting and Aquascaping?

Are you looking for a challenging option or a easy soothing option, or.....??? Do you have time and money for a fancy high tech tank, are you able to deal with the exacting adjustments, and lots of algae and dialing in the parameters?

Simple and beautiful Neons or Cardinals and Cory Cats, Glass Cats. Lower light plants.

Last edited:
Shrimp, I'd get some really classy shrimp and just keep something simple. Space is already ear-marked on the other filing cabinet for a 15 or 20gal, just need to finally buy a tank.

Autumnsky, could you show us a picture of your Microdevario Kubotai? I've never heard of the species before and they sound pretty cool. Did you find them online?

I think I'm going to do a pretty big school of neons and a male betta. I'm going to use a diy led rope/hood like uarujoey made and have a piece of driftwood and artificial plants

Would neons and Rams work?

I think it depends on the type of rams. Two Bolvian or GBRs with a school of neons would look amazing...

I was thinking germans

I'm not totally sure but I believe that GBRs tend to be more sensitive and aggressive, don't trust my word on that though. I'm sure they would be fine with neons, but not sure about how much space they need. Keep us updated :)

Would neons and Rams work?

Rams like a higher temperature, like around 80-82+. While my neons have been doing fine at 78-80 this summer, 80+ for an extended period might be pushing it. Likewise if you kept the ram in the mid-70s to be compatible with the neons.

A better (or at least more common) choice with rams are cardinal tetras, which also like 80+ water. I think Rummynose tetras do well in this environment, too. :fish2:

Back
Top Bottom