weirdest place your fish has gotten into?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
shellieca said:
I used to have my male Bettas in individual 1g fish bowls, I changed the substrate in Simon's bowl to large rocks instead if gravel. I put everything together, put him back in there & go about my business. An hour so later I heard a noise, look over at his bowl & don't see him, I walk over, look in NO Simon, he's not on the floor, he's not on the table, I think did he jump out & one of the dogs ate him? Then I see this smidge if color on the bottom of the bowl laying flat UNDER THE ROCKS!

My betta, Louis, used to be in a 1g too. He would wedge himself between the gems I used on the bottom and that is where he would sleep! Crazy bettas!

sally pu said:
used to have a couple of hatchets and before I knew they were jumpers, had one jump while I was cleaning the tank...He landed on the wall, like he jumped onto a velcro wall or something it was crazy...I freaked out, slowly and carefully peeled him off and put him back in the tank real quick. It was so funny after the fact though

That's great! Made me think of one of those sticky hand things haha!

I have recently ha one of my fish disappear all together. I've looked everywhere in my tank and under and in all my decorations. He is no where.

My weirdest experience was when I couldn't find my bulldog plec. My husband noticed his fin hanging out my cana snails shell, my snail had closed down on him, he had a habit of annoying her. We had to take the snail out of my tank & gently pull her trapdoor, I thought he was dead so l put him in kitchen roll, he started flapping about! Put him back in the tank his end of his tail was bitten off, 2 fins & his belly was blood red. My husband wanted to euthanize him but I didn't. And he survived that was 6mths ago & his tail has grown back. He was one Lucky boy :)

my dwarf gourami got stuck under a drift wood branch. he was stuck under to the point where he was literally buried by sand and under a driftwood branch. luckily I found him before he was there too long to suffocate.

shellyx said:
My weirdest experience was when I couldn't find my bulldog plec. My husband noticed his fin hanging out my cana snails shell, my snail had closed down on him, he had a habit of annoying her. We had to take the snail out of my tank & gently pull her trapdoor, I thought he was dead so l put him in kitchen roll, he started flapping about! Put him back in the tank his end of his tail was bitten off, 2 fins & his belly was blood red. My husband wanted to euthanize him but I didn't. And he survived that was 6mths ago & his tail has grown back. He was one Lucky boy :)

Holy smokes! That's crazy! Glad he pulled through

I had a rope fish get stuck in a piece of coral. It was part of a bigger piece that my parents had brought back from Mexico forever ago. And I can't get my dad to let me take it out >.<

That's great! Made me think of one of those sticky hand things haha!

When it happened, it literally scared me so much, that I jumped backwards! I'll never forget that bc my dad walked by as I jumped back and gave me a "WTF are you doing" look lol

smomus said:
Holy smokes! That's crazy! Glad he pulled through

It also happened to my Cory as well! Here's a foto off her & my bulldog underneath her, she was huge!

ForumRunner_20120719_170228.jpg

Fishguy1997 said:
How on earth did he get there!

I think there was a hole or space between the rocks & he thought he could swim through, when he tried the rocks shifted. I'm not 100% sure he was pinned because he didn't seem panicked at all but it scare me enough that I made sure it couldn't happen again. I've read multiple places Bettas are known for trying to go through holes that are too small for them, get stuck & die. I thoroughly check any deco to make sure that can't happen.

FallenRedeemer said:
I have recently ha one of my fish disappear all together. I've looked everywhere in my tank and under and in all my decorations. He is no where.

I thought one of my CAE's had disappeared last week, I took all the deco structures out, shaking them every which way, set them on the table & search every inch of the aquarium - NOTHING. I look in the filter, look for pieces of him thinking the other fish may have gone cannibal, nothing. I check the deco's again, one is a tree stump with roots (fake) so I look in very hole, feel around inside as best I can, hit it on all sides & FINALLY a movement catches my eye. I shake it a little more, turn it over & out falls my CAE, his gills are still moving! I quickly put him in the tank & a week later he seems to suffer no I'll effects, I think he hides less now. LOL

My dwarf gourami once got stuck behind a rock that was resting against the glass and the rock had been like that before I put any fish in!

I had a GW Killi that jumped out of his tank while I was sleeping. The weird thing was that I had a lid on the tank! I think he got out through the hole cut for the heater. Found him in the morning and put him back in to find he was still alive. Then, not to long after, the same fish jumps out of the tank during feeding time. I took to calling him stupid fish. He survived both incidents as well as a lengthy period of mistreatment back before I knew what I was doing and I only recently had to give him away because of some inevitable aggression issues. He was a neat fish, I wouldn't let my mom give him to petco even though she desperately wanted him out of her tank (which I had to put him in because I realized my 10 gallon was too small). I have also had one of my cichlids burrow under a rock to enlarge it's cave until I deem it unsafe and fill it back up with sand, at which point it gives me an annoyed look and begins digging again. Last but not least when I was trying to catch.a cobalt cichlid I had done a tank breakdown minus a few rocks. I'm chasing him with a net and he disappears! Turns out he managed to wiggle under one of the rocks and was hiding under it. I almost crushed him when I moved it looking for him! :D

I was doing a wc and didn't have time to dump the water
Good thing too, because I was feeding today and looked in the bucket and found a guppy fry! I have a fish guard on my siphon but it still ended up there! I tested the water and it had more than 8 ppm ammonia- and this is a FRY!

emerald76 said:
I was doing a wc and didn't have time to dump the water
Good thing too, because I was feeding today and looked in the bucket and found a guppy fry! I have a fish guard on my siphon but it still ended up there! I tested the water and it had more than 8 ppm ammonia- and this is a FRY!

That's a lot of ammonia!!

Fishguy1997 said:
That's a lot of ammonia!!

Yup
Water change bucket and water change water= eeeeewww
I think a few chemicals used to be stores in it too

Not really an escape or hiding story, but i think it fits. My peacock eel was the master of hiding. I went 2 WEEKS without seeing it. Sifted through all of my gravel, checked decorations, filter, floor and behind the tank, no dice. I decided to chalk it up as a loss, even though no body was recovered. Then unfortunately, an aggressive bout of fin rot wiped out my tank. But I do have a silver lining in this, I was planning to put sand in so this was a perfect time to do it. Took out all decor and placed in a DRY rubbermaid container. 3 hours later everything is back in and out pops my eel!!! It was in a fake hollow driftwood. Although it didn't make it through the night.

Back
Top Bottom