Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenRedeemer
I have recently ha one of my fish disappear all together. I've looked everywhere in my tank and under and in all my decorations. He is no where.
I thought one of my CAE's had disappeared last week, I took all the deco structures out, shaking them every which way, set them on the table & search every inch of the aquarium - NOTHING. I look in the filter, look for pieces of him thinking the other fish may have gone cannibal, nothing. I check the deco's again, one is a tree stump with roots (fake) so I look in very hole, feel around inside as best I can, hit it on all sides & FINALLY a movement catches my eye. I shake it a little more, turn it over & out falls my CAE, his gills are still moving! I quickly put him in the tank & a week later he seems to suffer no I'll effects, I think he hides less now. LOL

Old 07-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Activist

whats a CAE?

Old 07-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally pu
whats a CAE?
Chinese algae eater
Old 07-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

My dwarf gourami once got stuck behind a rock that was resting against the glass and the rock had been like that before I put any fish in!
Old 07-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I had a GW Killi that jumped out of his tank while I was sleeping. The weird thing was that I had a lid on the tank! I think he got out through the hole cut for the heater. Found him in the morning and put him back in to find he was still alive. Then, not to long after, the same fish jumps out of the tank during feeding time. I took to calling him stupid fish. He survived both incidents as well as a lengthy period of mistreatment back before I knew what I was doing and I only recently had to give him away because of some inevitable aggression issues. He was a neat fish, I wouldn't let my mom give him to petco even though she desperately wanted him out of her tank (which I had to put him in because I realized my 10 gallon was too small). I have also had one of my cichlids burrow under a rock to enlarge it's cave until I deem it unsafe and fill it back up with sand, at which point it gives me an annoyed look and begins digging again. Last but not least when I was trying to catch.a cobalt cichlid I had done a tank breakdown minus a few rocks. I'm chasing him with a net and he disappears! Turns out he managed to wiggle under one of the rocks and was hiding under it. I almost crushed him when I moved it looking for him!
Old 07-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was doing a wc and didn't have time to dump the water
Good thing too, because I was feeding today and looked in the bucket and found a guppy fry! I have a fish guard on my siphon but it still ended up there! I tested the water and it had more than 8 ppm ammonia- and this is a FRY!
Old 07-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald76
I was doing a wc and didn't have time to dump the water
Good thing too, because I was feeding today and looked in the bucket and found a guppy fry! I have a fish guard on my siphon but it still ended up there! I tested the water and it had more than 8 ppm ammonia- and this is a FRY!
That's a lot of ammonia!!
Old 07-19-2012, 07:28 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It was actually probably higher because the API master test kit only reads up to eight.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:39 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishguy1997

That's a lot of ammonia!!
Yup
Water change bucket and water change water= eeeeewww
I think a few chemicals used to be stores in it too
Old 07-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not really an escape or hiding story, but i think it fits. My peacock eel was the master of hiding. I went 2 WEEKS without seeing it. Sifted through all of my gravel, checked decorations, filter, floor and behind the tank, no dice. I decided to chalk it up as a loss, even though no body was recovered. Then unfortunately, an aggressive bout of fin rot wiped out my tank. But I do have a silver lining in this, I was planning to put sand in so this was a perfect time to do it. Took out all decor and placed in a DRY rubbermaid container. 3 hours later everything is back in and out pops my eel!!! It was in a fake hollow driftwood. Although it didn't make it through the night.

Tags
weir

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com