Well water whole house filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

austinsdad

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm about to ask the Rainsoft and Raindance folks to come out to do an assesment/test on our water. We use a filter on the fridge water for drinking, and that works fine. But on the rest of the house water, it smells of sulfur and it doesn't feel that soft at all. I've only been in this new house for about 8 months, and I can begin to see deposits on the shower heads.

Any recommendations for a brand? Or any recommendations for my discussions with either of the 2 reps that'll come to my house?

Tell me please of your experience if you've had any with well water and whole house filtratation.

My grandparents have well water, it is the best water by far that I have ever tasted. I am assuming this about drinking water not tank water. What is the hardness of your tap? You might be best served by a softener to remove the'sulfer'. IMHO all houses that have city water should have an inline water filter....My grandparents that have well water have a whole house filter but have it bypassed for some reason, the water taste fine. I think it has to do with where you are from.

My parents have city water. My dad has a whole house filter just after the water meter.

So my opinion....get a RO unit your family and fish will love you.

Yeah, I want to do a few things.

1) have better tasting and smelling water in the bathrooms
2) soften the water to make soaps and detergents go MUCH further
3) get the hard minerals out - you shuld see the spots it leaves on the cars when washing.

I got my first vendor coming tonight. I'll see if RO might be the only thing we need. Not even thinking about fish right now since I have no tank set up.

Thanks fer yer input! :) :)

I live on an acreage too and we had very hard water for the first few years since we didnt have a water softener hooked up (we have been renovating the whole house). Pretty much all the same evidence as you stated above. My dad finally got most of the plumbing done and hooked up a large water holding tank (we also had very poor pressure throughout the house)
View attachment 23615
a pump to fix the pressure problem
View attachment 23618
a large water softener
View attachment 23616
and our original water heater
View attachment 23617
we also have the ro/di unit hooked up in this room

The water is now a lot better...it is tinted yellow though. The original house is very old so i dont know if its old rust in the pipes or if we stirred up the heater when we took it down and hooked it back up? who knows, it is pretty annoying when trying to keep white clothes white though

Back
Top Bottom