What a night.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishyfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Last night when I was at my parents house we got a call that my brother had been involved in an accident. He was driving the farms Semi tractor trailer full of corn and it turned over. He said he was driving and he felt the load shift. It was like it was in slow motion. Next thing he remembers is laying in the ditch. Apparently he was thrown through the windshield. He wasn't speeding beacuse it was at the top of a hill. And I'm sure you all know that when you are driving a semi with a full load, you don't pick up speed going up a steep hill.

The paramedics came to the scene and took him to the Bandage Shop (also known as the local ER). They bandaged him up and put a neck brace on him and did some tests. I forget which ones since it was a frantic couple of hours but CAT scan and EKG fit in there somewhere. They found that he had a fractured vertabrae but they weren't sure which one. So they transfered him to St. Louis University Hospital around 9:45.

He was in the ER until about 7:00 this morning. He had to have plastic surgery to close the cuts on his face since they were so deep and jagged. The doctor at the local hospital said that he could do it, but he'd have big scars on his face so they opted for the surgeon.

He had two deep cuts, one on the side of his head and another that is below his right eye and runs the side of his nose up to his forehead and above his left eye. Thats where the sunglasses broke and shoved into his face (they are assuming). The surgeon thought that the cut on the side of his head may have chipped his skull so they did some more x-rays and found out that it didn't. So they got him taken care of in regards to the cuts. He has many cuts and scrapes down his back and sides but those weren't an issue.

His vertabrae that connects his head and spine is fractured. He's in alot of pain and they gave him pain medication and something else to keep him sort of asleep. That way he didn't feel the pain. They are not sure when he's coming home but are thinking as early as tomorrow. They have to run some more tests and decide what they want to do about his vertabrae. But chances are he is going to be in a neck brace for a while. He can't really move that much.

My mom and Mandi (his girlfriend) stayed the night in the hospital last night. My dad got home around 3:30 this morning and headed out to work at 5:30. He's going to go back up there this afternoon. So everyone is pretty much tired. They say that he looks alot better than he did last night at the local hospital so that's a plus. At about 8 this morning is when they started to clean him up. He had corn residue in his ears and all over. Blood was all over his neck and chest and back.

My other brother and his wife came over and took my nephew and said that they would keep him for a couple days so I could get the house ready for when Dustin comes home.

The semi was totalled. This is what is great about living in a small town. Last night my mom called a neighbor who is close friends of the family. She told him what happened and then she hung up and left. About an hour later the guy shows up at the house with 10 other farmers. They were heading over to the accident to clean up the corn and were putting it in their tandums and were going to park them over at the shop. That way my dad didn't lose a whole semi full of crops. So they worked all through the night at the scene using shovels and shoveling corn into the back of a tandum truck. They salvaged what they could but the gas tanks had leaked and gas was everywhere. It's nice when a community comes through and helps out in this situation without even being asked.

Please pray for my brother. He has a rough few months ahead of him. His son doesn't know whats going on since he's only 19 months old. So it's definately going to be hard on him not being able to play with his own child.

Thanks everyone for listening. I've been pretty much alone since it all happened except when I went to the ER. I baby sat my nephew while everyone went to the hospital and now today I am at work trying to handle everything while my mom is at the hospital (she is my boss). Plus fielding calls and explaining what happened over and over again. But at least I did get to see him in the ER last night. Me and him are very close. That's what makes it so hard.

Oh your poor brother. I'm glad that it sounds like he will be okay. He will be in my thoughts and prayers. Thank goodness you are surrounded by such a supportive community.

May God bless you and your family! Luckily it wasn't any worse and I'm sure he'll pull through just fine.

Its wonderful when family is close enough to be able to depend on each other.
Thoughts are with you.

Wow, I'm very sorry to hear that. My thoughts and prayers are with your brother. As well as you and your family.

Bummer. Requests for a speedy and complete recovery are being sent upstairs. Hang in there.

Thanks guy. I really appreciate it. Has anyone else ever had a fractured vertabrae or know anyone who has? I am supposed to prep the house for him, specifically my bedroom since I have a high bed and he has a shorter one. So he is going to stay in my bedroom. I don't know what to get for him. I know a bunch of pillows so he can be propped up since he can't lay down without being in alot of pain, but besides that, I'm not sure what else. The only surgeries I have had was a laproscopic surgery and another C-section type and I had to get up and get all my own stuff when I wanted it. He's in alot more pain than I ever was I'm sure.

Wow. I am so sorry to hear about your brother. I will definitely keep him in my prayers.
I would ask his doctor if there is anything special he will need at home for his neck.

I am so sorry. My prayers are with you and your family.

My wife had neck surgury last summer. Surgical supply stores sell foam wedges, it helped my wife sleep in bed. Your brother may be most comfortable in a recliner, if you have one. My wife slept many a night in ours.

Wow, sorry to hear about your brother, my prayers also go out for him and you as well. On a brighter note, you sure know who your friends are when you are really in need.

Thanks guys. He got home and actually ate dinner. They told him only soft foods but he was eating pasta. It seemed to go down as easily as jello would have. He said that he's not feeling any pain.

He has a huge knot on his forehead where the plastic surgeon put the stitches in. 56 to be exact. The side of his head is where the staples are. Yowzers it looks like it hurt. His facial gash had literally pulled apart his eye brows. The surgeon did a really good job closing it up. It looks normal. Well, with the exception to the big knot. Hunter saw him for the first time this evening and in a whispered voice said, Ouchie. Evertime he looks at him he says, Ouchie. So cute but makes your heart break.

It took him about an hour to take a shower beacuse he couldn't get any soap where the staples and stitches are but he wanted to wash his hair. He used baby shampoo and it didn't seem to hurt. He's up and walking around, a little slower than normal. Hunter keeps trying to get him to hold him but the doctor said nothing more than 5 lbs. So that's making him upset at the fact that he can't even hold his own son. But he's pretty upbeat about the whole thing. He's going to try sleeping in the bed tonight and see what happens. Tomorrow he may try the recliner.

Tonight he checked his voice mail and started calling people and the first words that came out of his mouth was "work talk". Go figure. The guy can't even take a day off without working. Thankfully he won't be getting into a tractor or semi anytime soon. It will be at least a month before that.

We'll see how it all turns out. Everyone was so suprised that he came home so soon. But he was ready to get out of that place.

Your family and especially your brother will be in my prayers.
Sounds like he is doing well and is on the road to recovery.

So very sorry to hear about that Fishy, my prayers will be for him and the rest of your family as you help him deal with this situation. It sounds like he is a strong man, and will make a full recovery. Good luck to you all!

Wow, Fishyfanatic, sorry to hear about your brother's accident. I'm glad to hear the update -- that he's on the mend. With you and the rest of the family looking after him, he'll be back to full speed in no time! Poor Hunter - can your brother sit down and have Hunter sit in his lap? That way he wouldn't actually be picking Hunter up. My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family.

He can sit on his lap, but Dustin can't really look down at him because of the brace. But he did sit on his lap during the Gator ride. What Hunter doesn't understand is that he can't play with him. And Dustin used to roll around on the ground with him and give him piggy back rides and he'd sit on his shoulders and walk around the house. It's understandable that he doesn't realize he can't do those things. But he still wants it. And now with him being hurt, he wants to be with him ALL the time. His daycare teachers said that they could tell that he sensed something was wrong. He kept saying today Daddy ouchie.

He over-extended himself today. He got in his work clothes and went over to the shop (despite desperate pleas from Mandi for him just to stay home) and sat over there all day, helping out as best as he could. Getting tools for my dad or answering the phone. He just won't give himself a break. Then tonight he came home and took 2 pain pills and went to bed in the recliner. He'd never admit that he over-extended himself, but you can see it in his eyes.

His face has swelled up now and he squints to see. His eyes are getting a blue ring around them and they hurt when he touches it. It no longer looks like a baseball is in his forehead, the whole thing is swollen. I hope he sleeps through the night in the recliner. If tomorrow he does what he did today, he's going to be in some serious pain. He's too much like my dad, can't sit around the house.

I wonder how much longer it's going to be like this. :(

I found out last night after talking to a chiropractic friend that the vertabrae that he cracked is the same one that Christopher Reeve broke (C1). It gives it a whole new prospective. Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts. It is greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom