Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-13-2011, 09:35 PM   #211
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

And we also breed pugs.....

Here's a shot of a recent little boy.

And here's what they become. Want one?

Old 11-13-2011, 10:03 PM   #212
Aquarium Advice FINatic

lol my friend LOVES pugs!

Old 11-13-2011, 10:03 PM   #213
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

@phramque, LOVE the parrots. What are their names?
Old 11-13-2011, 10:31 PM   #214
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutangel04 View Post
@phramque, LOVE the parrots. What are their names?
CAG - Alex

B&G - Max

We may be getting another addition to the family. Some friends of ours are going to be moving, and they may not be able to take their Ubrella Cockatoo with them, so we volunteered to take her in if they can't..... she's an absolute lover with everyone, so I won't mind...
Old 11-13-2011, 10:37 PM   #215
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Umbrella cockatoos are amazing! That would be awesome.
Both your birds are lovely.
Did you name the grey after Alex the famous talker and subject of a couple books, or is that just coincidence?
Old 11-13-2011, 10:56 PM   #216
Aquarium Advice Addict

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-504067616.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	61165

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3406811390.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	61166

These are my furkids. All rescues.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:13 PM   #217
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Did you name the grey after Alex the famous talker and subject of a couple books, or is that just coincidence?
That was coincidence... We didn't know the name of Dr. Pepperberg's bird until after we named ours. But now I'm glad we did, since her bird passed away just a few years ago....
CAG's are smart as all get-out, and they can mimic anything. If we're sitting out on the back deck, she'll imitate the phone ringing just to get someone to come back into the house, and will then laugh at you. She'll call & whistle for the dog's to go outside..... luckily they picked up on that trick. Anyone who says humans are the only ones with intelligent reasoning have never lived with an African Grey.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:21 PM   #218
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranque View Post
That was coincidence... We didn't know the name of Dr. Pepperberg's bird until after we named ours. But now I'm glad we did, since her bird passed away just a few years ago....
CAG's are smart as all get-out, and they can mimic anything. If we're sitting out on the back deck, she'll imitate the phone ringing just to get someone to come back into the house, and will then laugh at you. She'll call & whistle for the dog's to go outside..... luckily they picked up on that trick. Anyone who says humans are the only ones with intelligent reasoning have never lived with an African Grey.
Have you read her book? I ma thinking about buy it. I have seen some TV specials on her and Alex and it was AMAZING how he could put words together and understand the meaning.
I would love an African grey. But, I live in tiny town, so there are not many birds readily available. Someday, I would like to adopt one though.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:04 AM   #219
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Have you read her book? I ma thinking about buy it. I have seen some TV specials on her and Alex and it was AMAZING how he could put words together and understand the meaning.
I would love an African grey. But, I live in tiny town, so there are not many birds readily available. Someday, I would like to adopt one though.
We have both The Alex Studies and Alex & Me..... Very informative books.

Be careful if you adopt one... CAG's typically bond to one person as they mature (we finished hand feeding ours), and if they go to a different home as an adult, they can be very difficult to work with..... i.e.- have lots of bandages on hand, as you will likely take many bites in the process. It can definitely be done, but an immense amount of patience is required.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:47 AM   #220
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranque View Post
We have both The Alex Studies and Alex & Me..... Very informative books.

Be careful if you adopt one... CAG's typically bond to one person as they mature (we finished hand feeding ours), and if they go to a different home as an adult, they can be very difficult to work with..... i.e.- have lots of bandages on hand, as you will likely take many bites in the process. It can definitely be done, but an immense amount of patience is required.
Thanks. I do know that they tend to not re-home well sometimes. I know lots of parrots tend to pick one gender or another as a preference, so I figured it would be easiet to make sure I found one that likes women. Thanks for the advice though! I will make sure I have lots of bandages if I am ever able to get one. But, I want to a bit more large bird experience before I try adopting one. Lots of bird adoption agencies won't let you adopt one without previous parrot experience. Thats probably a good idea on their part.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com