Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: Do Aquariums have health benefits? What are your thoughts...
Aquariums definatly have health benefits! 7 46.67%
Aquariums can have health benefits 3 20.00%
Aquariums might have health benefits 3 20.00%
Aquariums don't have health benefits 1 6.67%
Aquariums definatly do NOT have health benefits 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-15-2012, 10:08 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish71
All I can say is that after coming home from a hard day at work trying to keep my temper in check and not slap someone into next year, working on my tanks helps calm me.
You hit the nail on the head!

Old 07-15-2012, 10:11 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
Haha, I hate my job but I love my fish. They make it worth it, seeing as I need money to buy new fish stuff. Its good motivation when work has me on my last nerve.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
When my tank is happy. I'm happy. When it's not- I have a headache for days and a lighter wallet
Old 07-15-2012, 11:40 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish71
All I can say is that after coming home from a hard day at work trying to keep my temper in check and not slap someone into next year, working on my tanks helps calm me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMA
I think that fishkeeping is both physically and psychologically beneficial. I have to take care of these little lives and derive a great deal of satisfaction with my successes. It is not always rosy but, more often than not, I am happy when working and playing with the captive pals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyxx
Haha, I hate my job but I love my fish. They make it worth it, seeing as I need money to buy new fish stuff. Its good motivation when work has me on my last nerve.
+1 to all of these! I hate my job to! And without my aquariums I probably would have lost it by now and quit my job O_o
Old 07-15-2012, 11:59 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well at least after reading these posts I don't feel like I am crazy. I am a stay home mom and house wife,I don't go to work to earn money but I work all day sometimes 24/7 and when the day gets ruff I get the kids to sit with me and watch the fish and it calms all of us down. My 5 yr old will ask is it time for water changes yet? Can I help mommy? On a bad day even if it is not water change day we do it any way because she enjoys it and it calms the day. I figure it just helps keep our little guys happier and gives me and my daughter special calm time together.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:51 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimo
Well at least after reading these posts I don't feel like I am crazy. I am a stay home mom and house wife,I don't go to work to earn money but I work all day sometimes 24/7 and when the day gets ruff I get the kids to sit with me and watch the fish and it calms all of us down. My 5 yr old will ask is it time for water changes yet? Can I help mommy? On a bad day even if it is not water change day we do it any way because she enjoys it and it calms the day. I figure it just helps keep our little guys happier and gives me and my daughter special calm time together.
That's wonderful. I love it when people set up tanks to take care of with their children, I think it really helps them learn to value life and get the hang of taking care of something other than themselves. I don't have kids, but my dad did that with me when I was very young, and I think that is where my love of fish comes from. Some of my earliest memories are helping my dad pick out fish for our 75 gallon tank, and him telling me little facts about all the fish we had and ones he used to keep. I know it was something I looked forward to and it really was a calming thing even back then.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:32 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Actually health benefits from aquariums in terms of viewing creating a calming or pacifying effect is fairly well documented, especially in regards to working with those with disabilities. Now taking care of or maintaining the aquarium is a seperate topic all together IMO, LOL.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:11 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

If I want to get away from the hustle and bustle of day to day life or away from the hectic side of parenthood I sit myself in front of one of my aquariums and enter their world, way more peaceful and relaxing ;-D
Old 07-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Shoei
I am a manager at a convenience store in a rough neighborhood I deal with tons of drunks and druggies that curse me out daily over something it gets very annoying but my boss of course says treat every customer the same no matter what. So I have to thank them for coming in and cursing me out

All i think about is going home walking up to the tank and all my fish are front and center waiting for me to feed them and give them attention they want. (They love to show off to me) Just watching them swimming around so calming and relaxing it de stresses me and makes me forget about everything that happened that day. When i didnt have my tanks my life was 10x more stressful and when i got home i had no way to relax and just slow down.

Good Poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com