What are your thoughts on Health Benefits of Aquariums?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do Aquariums have health benefits? What are your thoughts...

• Total voters

fishfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
In the past I have seen many articles on different health benefits of having aquariums in your home. I have read things like: lower blood pressure, lower heart rate, and so on... I would like to know everyone's thoughts on this, it might also help me and others justify the cost of this hobby (y)

All I can say is that after coming home from a hard day at work trying to keep my temper in check and not slap someone into next year, working on my tanks helps calm me.

I have to say my tanks really help with relaxing me. I love to take a break from the normal crap of the day and just sit back and watch my fish. Even working on the tanks to me is relaxing doesn't really seem like a chore.

Definitely relax me, I'm a carer for my ill son & just watching them & doing cleans etc gives something just for me :)

I think if I've had a stressful day I just want to go my tank, and look at my fish. I feel If I focus enough on my tank then it just blocks out the previous day and all the work I have to do.

It helps keep me from losing control of my anger. it just gives me something to do. I would probaly be lost in a bad way if i didnt discover aquariums and develope a love of fish.

DragonFish71 said:
All I can say is that after coming home from a hard day at work trying to keep my temper in check and not slap someone into next year, working on my tanks helps calm me.

Same here. No matter how rough my day has been, my tanks can calm me down. Between the sounds of the water and the motions of the fish, I just find them calming. Even the maintenance is relaxing for me. And nothing can cheer me up quite like my puffers greeting me at the glass and tumbling over each other for attention.

I think that fishkeeping is both physically and psychologically beneficial. I have to take care of these little lives and derive a great deal of satisfaction with my successes. It is not always rosy but, more often than not, I am happy when working and playing with the captive pals. :fish2:

DragonFish71 said:

You hit the nail on the head!

Haha, I hate my job but I love my fish. They make it worth it, seeing as I need money to buy new fish stuff. Its good motivation when work has me on my last nerve.

When my tank is happy. I'm happy. When it's not- I have a headache for days and a lighter wallet

DragonFish71 said:

MartyMA said:
I think that fishkeeping is both physically and psychologically beneficial. I have to take care of these little lives and derive a great deal of satisfaction with my successes. It is not always rosy but, more often than not, I am happy when working and playing with the captive pals. :fish2:

Alyxx said:
Haha, I hate my job but I love my fish. They make it worth it, seeing as I need money to buy new fish stuff. Its good motivation when work has me on my last nerve.

+1 to all of these! I hate my job to! And without my aquariums I probably would have lost it by now and quit my job o_O

Well at least after reading these posts I don't feel like I am crazy. I am a stay home mom and house wife,I don't go to work to earn money but I work all day sometimes 24/7 and when the day gets ruff I get the kids to sit with me and watch the fish and it calms all of us down. My 5 yr old will ask is it time for water changes yet? Can I help mommy? On a bad day even if it is not water change day we do it any way because she enjoys it and it calms the day. I figure it just helps keep our little guys happier and gives me and my daughter special calm time together.

Nimo said:
Well at least after reading these posts I don't feel like I am crazy. I am a stay home mom and house wife,I don't go to work to earn money but I work all day sometimes 24/7 and when the day gets ruff I get the kids to sit with me and watch the fish and it calms all of us down. My 5 yr old will ask is it time for water changes yet? Can I help mommy? On a bad day even if it is not water change day we do it any way because she enjoys it and it calms the day. I figure it just helps keep our little guys happier and gives me and my daughter special calm time together.

That's wonderful. I love it when people set up tanks to take care of with their children, I think it really helps them learn to value life and get the hang of taking care of something other than themselves. I don't have kids, but my dad did that with me when I was very young, and I think that is where my love of fish comes from. Some of my earliest memories are helping my dad pick out fish for our 75 gallon tank, and him telling me little facts about all the fish we had and ones he used to keep. I know it was something I looked forward to and it really was a calming thing even back then.

Actually health benefits from aquariums in terms of viewing creating a calming or pacifying effect is fairly well documented, especially in regards to working with those with disabilities. Now taking care of or maintaining the aquarium is a seperate topic all together IMO, LOL.

If I want to get away from the hustle and bustle of day to day life or away from the hectic side of parenthood I sit myself in front of one of my aquariums and enter their world, way more peaceful and relaxing ;-D

I am a manager at a convenience store in a rough neighborhood I deal with tons of drunks and druggies that curse me out daily over something it gets very annoying but my boss of course says treat every customer the same no matter what. So I have to thank them for coming in and cursing me out :banghead:

All i think about is going home walking up to the tank and all my fish are front and center waiting for me to feed them and give them attention they want. (They love to show off to me) Just watching them swimming around so calming and relaxing it de stresses me and makes me forget about everything that happened that day. When i didnt have my tanks my life was 10x more stressful and when i got home i had no way to relax and just slow down.

Good Poll :dance:

Back
Top Bottom