Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-04-2004, 04:05 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular
I only read one magazine, Computer Games Magazine, but I've been thinking of getting a subscription to an aquarium magazine for quite a while. Any suggestions for a FW fish magazine?

Old 05-04-2004, 04:06 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to webmoose
I just finished "Dude where is my country.."

58 gallon Community Planted - 4 boesmani / 1 praecox rainbow, 3 giant danios, 1 clown / 1 albino pl*co, 1 bronze / 2 albino cories, cherry barbs, sunset platy's, cardinal tetras

8 Gallon hex - 3 F1 Black Brichardi and fry..("Lamprologus sp. Walter")

10 gallon work tank - Pair of dwarf gourami and 2 cherry barbs / 2 gallon - 4 Fundulopanchax gardneri / 10 gallon - bunch of killitanks

Vote Here for Aquarium Advice
Old 05-04-2004, 04:45 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
Though a lot of people like it, "Aquarium Fish Magazine" isn't my thing usually. They've had some glaring errors in there more than once. Lately I've been taking to "Freshwater and Marine Aquarium," though it doesn't have pretty pictures or anything. Some of the cover shots are terrible.

But the info seems good so far.
55g freshwater - tetras, catfish, loaches
10g freshwater - firebelly newts
Old 05-04-2004, 04:54 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus
LOL, FAMA has had some of the most stunning photography posted in their pages, as well as there covers, however they do seem to go through months where the art director has been sleeping on the job.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
Old 05-04-2004, 07:39 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist
Wow, caught me at a bad in-between book stage, because I'm not really IN anything, just skimming around . . .
But I am currently reading/re-reading:
Letters from the Earth by Mark Twain (finished)
The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka (just barely started)
Pride and Prejudice (despite a lot of negative opinions toward it, I love it, although it took me three reads to understand; it's my comfort book and am always reading favorite passages, so I'm basically always reading it)
Theives, Decievers, and Killers: tales of Chemistry in Nature
Wild Minds (which is anti-anthropomorphic and therefore difficult for me to always agree with, but whatever)
And other things awaiting me:
The Body Language of Horses (& other horse books)
Aquarium books, of course!
Loamhedge (Brian Jacques)
Pack of Two (by Caroline Knapp)
Cheating Monkeys and Citizen Bees
. . . and MANY others . . .
plus I just ordered Nicholas Nickleby and Mad Cowboy from the library. One of my bookshelves in my room (I have two) has a shelf reserved for just library books! It's crazy.
Oh, plus my textbook (exams approaching!), but that's not really fun.
I'm an obsessive reader, I'm sure you could tell! Nerds "backwards R" Us/Me. Woo!
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans . . .
Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:37 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by Seven
Any suggestions for a FW fish magazine?
I like "Tropical Fish Hobbyist". I find that it contains more substance than "Aquarium Fish Magazine" and more 'eye candy' than "Freshwater and Marine Aquarium". Plus, it strikes a pretty fair balance between fresh, salt, and pond.

I'm currently reading "For Love of Insects" by Thomas Eisener.
I just finished "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:36 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Originally Posted by purplestarfish
Pride and Prejudice (despite a lot of negative opinions toward it, I love it,
Wow, I didn't know that there were negative opinions! Who has negative opinions re: PandP? It's actually one of my favorite novels. I haven't read all of austen's books, but have enjoyed the ones I've read.

Sounds like you do a lot of reading!! Are you able to recall a lot of what you've read? I think one of the reasons I don't read much anymore is that I now have trouble remembering anything. It sort of sucks the pleasure out of it.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:41 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic
The Namesake, by Jhumpa Lahiri (who won a Pulitzer for her debut, a short story collection titled Interpreter of Maladies).

I'd like to get to Dude, Where's My Country eventually; I've heard nothing but great stuff about it.

I'm also a magazine addict: The New Yorker, Vanity Fair, InStyle, People, Organic Style, Health, Real Simple, Cook's Illustrated.
20 gallon freshwater.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:17 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
I'm reading the best author I have ever read, Terry Prachett. I'm reading books, in order, in his Discworld series--currently I am on "Interesting Times." His writing is a mix between Monty Python and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
~Mike Shaw
Shawmutt.com. Blogs and Pictures of the Massively Multiplayer Offline game, Real Life.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:51 AM   #20
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I just finished Da Vinci Code.....great book!

I have read all the anne rice books, unfortunately, the stuff she is putting out now is just not to her usual calibre. The books are getting thinner and thinner as is her writing.....almost like now she is writing for the money instead of the story.

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com