What book(s) are you reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hm, did someone say Stephen King?

(I know that wasn't very nice. :taped:)

Tropical Fish Hobbyist hasn't been available to me at any places I go to. =(

i need to start "wolves of the calla"! i've had it for the longest time, just haven't started it :roll:

hypostomus, even if you're not too into steven king, check out the "dark tower series", its all good stuff :mrgreen:

the last book i actually finished was "ham on rye", by charles bukowski. also good stuff!

bungle said:
hypostomus, even if you're not too into steven king, check out the "dark tower series", its all good stuff :mrgreen:

That's true, his books vary I guess.

A friend of mine tried to get me into Stephen King a ways back and I read "Pet Sematary" and attempted to read "IT". Blech! I am not a horror fan. I didn't really enjoy "Misery" or "Thinner" too much either.

But I loved "The Stand", "Eyes of the Dragon", "The Talisman", the Dark Tower 1-3 (hated 4, could not get into it, never finished, kinda wrote off the series afterwards). I didn't realize VI is coming out this june.

I guess it's kinda hit and miss with him...

smilla4 said:
A friend of mine tried to get me into Stephen King a ways back and I read "Pet Sematary" and attempted to read "IT". Blech! I am not a horror fan. I didn't really enjoy "Misery" or "Thinner" too much either.

But I loved "The Stand", "Eyes of the Dragon", "The Talisman", the Dark Tower 1-3 (hated 4, could not get into it, never finished, kinda wrote off the series afterwards). I didn't realize VI is coming out this june.

I guess it's kinda hit and miss with him...

I loved IT!! I also very much enjoyed Pet Semetary, Misery and Thinner. The Stand was extremely good as was the Talisman. Never read the dark tower series though.

if you liked the stand and the talisman, definately check out the darktower series. they all kinda tie into eachother :mrgreen:

someone needs to make it into a movie! too bad clint eastwood is gettin' kinda old. i can't see roland played by anyone else, except maybe the millienium guy.

Everyone Dies by Michael McGarrity. Murder mystery that takes place near Santa Fe, NM. Latest is a series of book starring Detective Kevin Kerney.

In response to smilla4:
a lot of people call Austen stodgy and prissy, which I can't understand, because she was a forerunner of women authors. Besides, the language she used was normal language back then. It just seems like every time I bring up P&P people sort of wrinkle their noses in disgust and scoff, "oh. AUS-ten." :x (pretend high-five for those who appreciate! :wink:)
But I love it. (Especially the A&E version of the movie, with Colin Firth as Darcy - HIGHLY recommend it!) I read Mansfield Park as well, but I didn't like it half as much as p&p, which is satirical and actually very funny.
I do actually retain a lot of knowledge from reading, which is a blessing. See, I don't have a TV - never had, probably never will - so reading has always been the preferred way to pass time, and since I have that upbringing, that's probably why I read as quickly as I do and still understand most of what I read.

Da Vinci code was great . . . BUT (yes, there is a BUT!):
I read Digital Fortress (same author, published first) first, and it depreciated my liking of the da vinci code. How can that possibly be, you ask? Well, the formula is the EXACT SAME, to the point that when I read the code, I could predict (with a good deal of accuracy) what was going to happen next. :( :eek: So, that's my major complaint - rather canned. But the historical info was absolutely fascinating, so I still recommend it (just not along with anything else he's written).

glad you mentioned that, I had pondered picking up more of his books...have to rethink it now.

purplestarfish said:
In response to smilla4:
a lot of people call Austen stodgy and prissy, which I can't understand, because she was a forerunner of women authors.

I don't see that either. Particularly as she seems to enjoy poking fun at convention. Not to mention it was frowned upon for women to write novels. Some didn't dare even use their real name, or substituted a male name :).

purplestarfish said:
(pretend high-five for those who appreciate! :wink:)

all right!!

purplestarfish said:
(Especially the A&E version of the movie, with Colin Firth as Darcy - HIGHLY recommend it!)

I loved that movie!! I also liked the black and white version with Lawerence Olivier. It was cute, though it strayed a bit. I loved it when Mr. Bennet told Mary to "Let the other girls have a chance to make an exhibition of themselves". Though it wasn't written that way in the book, I thought it was better said in the movie.

I also enjoyed "Sense and Sensibility" and "Persuasion".

Which do you think is better? Digital Fortress or Da Vinci Code?

lmw80 said:
I loved IT !! I also very much enjoyed Pet Semetary, Misery and Thinner.

It seems that I am unusual in disliking those novels, particularly as I enjoyed the others. A friend of mine who could barely sit through a novel, managed to read the entire novel and raved about it. I think the ones I enjoyed have more of a fantasy bent, at least "Talisman" and "Eyes of the Dragon". Funny, cuz I don't read fantasy novels.

Wow. Such a nice list of exciting books. I used to read things like those, now I find myself reading things like "CCNA ICND Exam Certification Guide - The official self-study test preparation guide for the Cisco CCNA ICND exam 640-811"

Although I did read a lot of Dragonlance when I was younger...

I'd re-read alot of Ayn Rand's stuff while I was deployed (The Fountainhead, Atlas Shrugged, Anthem, We the Living). Same with Douglas Adams (The Hitchhiker's Series, Dirk Gently's, and a recently released work called "The Last Chance to See" which is actually alot less funny than you would think something of his would be.). The Entire Left Behind series...

Currently studying for my next promotion test and my commercial pilot's license so it's hard to prioritize...

I am currently reading two GREAT books, "A Fascination For Fish" and "Adrift". The first is a Auto biography by David C. Powell, retired curator of the Monteray Bay Aquarium, Sea world, Steinhart, Marine Land, and others. Its a very cool book. Adrift is the autobiography of Steven Callahan, who survived 67 days lost at sea in a inflatable raft with three lbs. of food and eight ounces of water. Sounds lie the ultimate weight loss plan to me! :twisted:

Dante's "Purgatory

second in the divine comedy"INferno,Purgatory and paridise

i read the Inferno for my english class and deciding to read the 2nd one for a independent readign project

Ohh yeah i am 16 Woo Hooo :D

Dante's "Purgatory"

second in the divine comedy"INferno,Purgatory and paridise

i read the Inferno for my english class and deciding to read the 2nd one for a independent readign project

Ohh yeah i am 16 Woo Hooo :D

Stephen King can certainly be hit or miss, no doubt. But for those of you who have read and liked The Stand, IT, 'Salems Lot, the Talisman/Black House, Hearts in Atlantis, well, I highly recommend the Dark Tower Series. The interaction between the various "universes" of all these books is incredible.
To me, it's his flat-out best. I also read a lot of Fantasy, which I think would catagorize DT as, moreso than Horror.

Smilla, "Wolves of The Calla" is second-best to "Drawing of the Three", IMO.

Hara, I think you said Anne Rice has dropped off in quality, just in it for the $$, dead-on correct! Nothing decent for the past several years.

My favorite new author is Neil Gaiman, American Gods, Stardust, Neverwhere, all excellent IMO. He has also written with Terry Pratchett, hilarious stuff.

to smilla4:
Da Vinci Code. Hands down. It's awesome. I think da Vinci himself was awesome - the orignial Renaissance Man - plus he was left handed, vegetarian, and gay (I have the vegetarian thing in common with him!!). Plus those notebooks, his inventions, all the stuff he did - *swoon*! Digital fortress wasn't as good.

purplestarfish said:
to smilla4:
Da Vinci Code. Hands down. It's awesome. I think da Vinci himself was awesome - the orignial Renaissance Man - plus he was left handed, vegetarian, and *EDIT* (I have the vegetarian thing in common with him!!). Plus those notebooks, his inventions, all the stuff he did - *swoon*! Digital fortress wasn't as good.

Sweet. I put it on hold at the library. As well as wolves of the calla. Hopefully both don't arrive at the same time!

I have no idea, but I guess you learn quite a bit about Da Vinci in the novel, or you studied him on your own?

has anyone read "God's Debris"? the guy who does the Dilbert comic strip wrote it (sorry, can't remember his name right now)

if you can read it with an open mind, it is very interesting!

love this thread i am making a list for when i get done with what i have here:

right now i am reading Many Peoples,Many Faiths

next up is The Da Vinci Code

after that unless the next in the Harry Potter comes out ill go through this thread again and pick another

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom