Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-05-2004, 09:57 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hm, did someone say Stephen King?

(I know that wasn't very nice. )

Tropical Fish Hobbyist hasn't been available to me at any places I go to. =(

Old 05-05-2004, 10:16 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to bungle
i need to start "wolves of the calla"! i've had it for the longest time, just haven't started it

hypostomus, even if you're not too into steven king, check out the "dark tower series", its all good stuff

the last book i actually finished was "ham on rye", by charles bukowski. also good stuff!

Old 05-05-2004, 01:42 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungle
hypostomus, even if you're not too into steven king, check out the "dark tower series", its all good stuff
That's true, his books vary I guess.

A friend of mine tried to get me into Stephen King a ways back and I read "Pet Sematary" and attempted to read "IT". Blech! I am not a horror fan. I didn't really enjoy "Misery" or "Thinner" too much either.

But I loved "The Stand", "Eyes of the Dragon", "The Talisman", the Dark Tower 1-3 (hated 4, could not get into it, never finished, kinda wrote off the series afterwards). I didn't realize VI is coming out this june.

I guess it's kinda hit and miss with him...
Old 05-05-2004, 02:23 PM   #24
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilla4
A friend of mine tried to get me into Stephen King a ways back and I read "Pet Sematary" and attempted to read "IT". Blech! I am not a horror fan. I didn't really enjoy "Misery" or "Thinner" too much either.

But I loved "The Stand", "Eyes of the Dragon", "The Talisman", the Dark Tower 1-3 (hated 4, could not get into it, never finished, kinda wrote off the series afterwards). I didn't realize VI is coming out this june.

I guess it's kinda hit and miss with him...
I loved IT!! I also very much enjoyed Pet Semetary, Misery and Thinner. The Stand was extremely good as was the Talisman. Never read the dark tower series though.

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:28 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to bungle
if you liked the stand and the talisman, definately check out the darktower series. they all kinda tie into eachother

someone needs to make it into a movie! too bad clint eastwood is gettin' kinda old. i can't see roland played by anyone else, except maybe the millienium guy.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:38 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've just started Anne Rice's Blood Canticle (the vampire chronicles)
Old 05-05-2004, 07:42 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Activist

Everyone Dies by Michael McGarrity. Murder mystery that takes place near Santa Fe, NM. Latest is a series of book starring Detective Kevin Kerney.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:32 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Activist

In response to smilla4:
a lot of people call Austen stodgy and prissy, which I can't understand, because she was a forerunner of women authors. Besides, the language she used was normal language back then. It just seems like every time I bring up P&P people sort of wrinkle their noses in disgust and scoff, "oh. AUS-ten." (pretend high-five for those who appreciate! )
But I love it. (Especially the A&E version of the movie, with Colin Firth as Darcy - HIGHLY recommend it!) I read Mansfield Park as well, but I didn't like it half as much as p&p, which is satirical and actually very funny.
I do actually retain a lot of knowledge from reading, which is a blessing. See, I don't have a TV - never had, probably never will - so reading has always been the preferred way to pass time, and since I have that upbringing, that's probably why I read as quickly as I do and still understand most of what I read.

Da Vinci code was great . . . BUT (yes, there is a BUT!):
I read Digital Fortress (same author, published first) first, and it depreciated my liking of the da vinci code. How can that possibly be, you ask? Well, the formula is the EXACT SAME, to the point that when I read the code, I could predict (with a good deal of accuracy) what was going to happen next. So, that's my major complaint - rather canned. But the historical info was absolutely fascinating, so I still recommend it (just not along with anything else he's written).
Old 05-05-2004, 08:54 PM   #29
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
glad you mentioned that, I had pondered picking up more of his books...have to rethink it now.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:24 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplestarfish
In response to smilla4:
a lot of people call Austen stodgy and prissy, which I can't understand, because she was a forerunner of women authors.
I don't see that either. Particularly as she seems to enjoy poking fun at convention. Not to mention it was frowned upon for women to write novels. Some didn't dare even use their real name, or substituted a male name .

Quote:
(pretend high-five for those who appreciate! )
all right!!

Quote:
(Especially the A&E version of the movie, with Colin Firth as Darcy - HIGHLY recommend it!)
I loved that movie!! I also liked the black and white version with Lawerence Olivier. It was cute, though it strayed a bit. I loved it when Mr. Bennet told Mary to "Let the other girls have a chance to make an exhibition of themselves". Though it wasn't written that way in the book, I thought it was better said in the movie.

I also enjoyed "Sense and Sensibility" and "Persuasion".

Which do you think is better? Digital Fortress or Da Vinci Code?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw80
I loved IT !! I also very much enjoyed Pet Semetary, Misery and Thinner.
It seems that I am unusual in disliking those novels, particularly as I enjoyed the others. A friend of mine who could barely sit through a novel, managed to read the entire novel and raved about it. I think the ones I enjoyed have more of a fantasy bent, at least "Talisman" and "Eyes of the Dragon". Funny, cuz I don't read fantasy novels.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com