Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-06-2004, 09:48 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
Wow. Such a nice list of exciting books. I used to read things like those, now I find myself reading things like "CCNA ICND Exam Certification Guide - The official self-study test preparation guide for the Cisco CCNA ICND exam 640-811"

Although I did read a lot of Dragonlance when I was younger...

Old 05-11-2004, 10:04 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I'd re-read alot of Ayn Rand's stuff while I was deployed (The Fountainhead, Atlas Shrugged, Anthem, We the Living). Same with Douglas Adams (The Hitchhiker's Series, Dirk Gently's, and a recently released work called "The Last Chance to See" which is actually alot less funny than you would think something of his would be.). The Entire Left Behind series...

Currently studying for my next promotion test and my commercial pilot's license so it's hard to prioritize...

Old 05-11-2004, 11:32 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to fishstixs05
I am currently reading two GREAT books, "A Fascination For Fish" and "Adrift". The first is a Auto biography by David C. Powell, retired curator of the Monteray Bay Aquarium, Sea world, Steinhart, Marine Land, and others. Its a very cool book. Adrift is the autobiography of Steven Callahan, who survived 67 days lost at sea in a inflatable raft with three lbs. of food and eight ounces of water. Sounds lie the ultimate weight loss plan to me!
Old 05-11-2004, 11:38 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to mhaynes01
Dante's "Purgatory

second in the divine comedy"INferno,Purgatory and paridise

i read the Inferno for my english class and deciding to read the 2nd one for a independent readign project

Ohh yeah i am 16 Woo Hooo
Old 05-11-2004, 11:38 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to mhaynes01
Dante's "Purgatory"

second in the divine comedy"INferno,Purgatory and paridise

i read the Inferno for my english class and deciding to read the 2nd one for a independent readign project

Ohh yeah i am 16 Woo Hooo
Old 05-12-2004, 01:00 PM   #36

Stephen King can certainly be hit or miss, no doubt. But for those of you who have read and liked The Stand, IT, 'Salems Lot, the Talisman/Black House, Hearts in Atlantis, well, I highly recommend the Dark Tower Series. The interaction between the various "universes" of all these books is incredible.
To me, it's his flat-out best. I also read a lot of Fantasy, which I think would catagorize DT as, moreso than Horror.

Smilla, "Wolves of The Calla" is second-best to "Drawing of the Three", IMO.

Hara, I think you said Anne Rice has dropped off in quality, just in it for the $$, dead-on correct! Nothing decent for the past several years.

My favorite new author is Neil Gaiman, American Gods, Stardust, Neverwhere, all excellent IMO. He has also written with Terry Pratchett, hilarious stuff.

Old 05-12-2004, 02:50 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Activist

to smilla4:
Da Vinci Code. Hands down. It's awesome. I think da Vinci himself was awesome - the orignial Renaissance Man - plus he was left handed, vegetarian, and gay (I have the vegetarian thing in common with him!!). Plus those notebooks, his inventions, all the stuff he did - *swoon*! Digital fortress wasn't as good.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:59 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplestarfish
to smilla4:
Da Vinci Code. Hands down. It's awesome. I think da Vinci himself was awesome - the orignial Renaissance Man - plus he was left handed, vegetarian, and *EDIT* (I have the vegetarian thing in common with him!!). Plus those notebooks, his inventions, all the stuff he did - *swoon*! Digital fortress wasn't as good.
Sweet. I put it on hold at the library. As well as wolves of the calla. Hopefully both don't arrive at the same time!

I have no idea, but I guess you learn quite a bit about Da Vinci in the novel, or you studied him on your own?
Old 05-20-2004, 01:41 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to bungle
has anyone read "God's Debris"? the guy who does the Dilbert comic strip wrote it (sorry, can't remember his name right now)

if you can read it with an open mind, it is very interesting!
Old 05-20-2004, 02:09 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to alrmc4
love this thread i am making a list for when i get done with what i have here:

right now i am reading Many Peoples,Many Faiths

next up is The Da Vinci Code

after that unless the next in the Harry Potter comes out ill go through this thread again and pick another

http://www.shutterbugs-gallery.com/forum/portal.php
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com