Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-22-2016, 12:52 PM   #10071
Aquarium Advice Addict

I haven't been on in a while so I'll catch you all up. Starting out with my newest 10g planted well I was sick for a while and couldn't turn on the lights for a week so a lot of the plants didn't like that and died the remaining plants will be moved out of the tank so I can clean the tank and re-boil the driftwood and they will be moved back once I get a new light. The 40g is green and there are sprouts everywhere. The 55g community it healthy and the algae is gone finally I have lost a few more neons to the butterflyfish. Finally the cichlid tank is doing well, it's pretty calm and empty in there so I plan to and some more fish soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 03-22-2016, 01:25 PM   #10072
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLHoenig View Post
Not sure if my 'pod colony is succeeding or failing...

Lots died within the first couple of days but it appears to have a reasonable number still moving about...about 100 by my guesstimate.

The initial count was whatever comes in a bottle of Tigger Pods®

Per the throwback-from-the-sixties kid at my LFS, I set up a shallow tub with about 1" of aquarium water, tinted it green with Phyto Feast Live® and added the 'pods...

Also tossed in a couple of pieces of base rock for the little beasties to play in...

Kid says no air needed due to good surface area...

Patience is the key, I know, but how soon _might_ it become obvious one way or another: success or slow death?
The red Tigger pods that come in the bottle do not thrive like tisbe or larger types. From what I was told they will reproduce for maybe 8-10 generations and then die out.
I seeded my refugium with pods from ReefsToGo, now named AquariumDepot when they had their buy 1000 get 1000 deals. They send a mix of 3-5 types of pods. They often have free shipping deals, now you can get 500 pods and some macros for $20, http://www.aquariumdepot.com/aquariu...m-macro-packs/ probably about what the Tigger pods cost.
I also got these;
Amazon.com : Poseidon's Feast : Live Marine Copepods - 3000+ Tisbe & Tigriopus Pods - 16oz : Pet Supplies
and have had great success with them.

I have pods all over the place now and have seen the different types come and go in population explosions. I have had the refugium running for about 9 months now. I used a mix of Fiji Mud and oolite sand for substrate and the pods love it and burrow into it all the time. A ball of chaeto also is a great medium for the pods to reproduce in.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:31 PM   #10073
Aquarium Advice Regular

Lost my GBR. Gourami must have stressed him to death. Replaced with a Bosemani Rainbowfish cool wired looking fish. Did a PWC on Saturday watched snails eat algae

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 03-22-2016, 10:38 PM   #10074
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardg View Post
Lost my GBR. Gourami must have stressed him to death. Replaced with a Bosemani Rainbowfish cool weird looking fish. Did a PWC on Saturday watched snails eat algae

Old 03-23-2016, 12:38 AM   #10075
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

I cut out a ~1-2" strip of the Glosso along the front glass. Carpet was getting thick. I also reburied the base of the DW because it was a bit too tall (stirred up the detritus a bit):

Old 03-23-2016, 01:24 PM   #10076
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

All I did today was check the parameters of my sw tank, yesterday I added, a banded coral shrimp, emerald crab, and a couple of hermits too.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:56 PM   #10077
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

We had a power outage and as I filled for evaporation and then was pouring water into the tank FROM the tank to aerate I decided to do pwc on the tanks to maximize my efforts.

So did pwc about 35G on the 72G. It really needed one anyway. Did 3-4G on the 2 12G tanks and filled the little nano SW but think I wil do a water check and do a pwc. I was running out of warm water so decided to wait on it.

I added minerals mix to the pwc on all the FW tanks to keep the KH measurable.

Power came back on as I was shoveling a path to the car to charge up my phone, lol. It is the "blizzard of 2016" here in Colorado right now. We have about 12-18" since middle of the night. Got a snow day from work and they shut down the highway anyhow. So happy the power is on now!!! Fish are happier too. They like air! I was a bit stressed because I fed them pretty well last night and was worried about ammonia building up so I added Prime too first thing when it happened.

I still need to get some battery operated air pumps and extra batteries!!! Anyone have any recommendations on which to get or NOT to get?

New to FW fish? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ork&page=rules

FW - 72G / 12G Edge/11.4G Mr Aqua Rimless
SW - Nano 6.6G Edge - Plus a FW 46G bowfront (QT)
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:01 PM   #10078
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

well today discovered my blond lipstick naso tang has popeye , chased him around almost 2 hrs getting him in QT,
I need to get out and get some meds , but 2 ft of snow don't help much hopefully tomorrow will be a better day ,

54seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:41 PM   #10079
Aquarium Advice Regular

POTM Champion

Today must be the day of death.

All I did today was look at my 75g when I got home.

And discovered this. It was my xmas present...

(And I still don't know why my pictures rotate when I post 'em.)
MLHoenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:56 PM   #10080
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLHoenig View Post
Today must be the day of death.

All I did today was look at my 75g when I got home.

And discovered this. It was my xmas present...

(And I still don't know why my pictures rotate when I post 'em.)

How big was the clam?

bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com