Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-13-2016, 11:05 AM   #10131
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
Swirled the toothbrush in the shrimp tank to pull out as much hair algae as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
I do the same thing with all the hair algae in my 5 gallon nano reef, the stuff just keeps growing, and neither my hermit crab nor my emerald crab will eat it! I thought I was the only one who did the toothbrush trick!

Sent via echolocation

Old 04-13-2016, 05:57 PM   #10132
Elephant nose Finatic!

Pwc on my shrimp tank, I had ordered 15 Boraras Brigatte for this tank but the guy got back to me and doesn't believe they're true Brigatte so I'm devastated, I've looked everywhere and no luck. My hubby looked at our LFS and they don't get them either so he bought me a couple of bamboo shrimp to cheer me up!
Fed live bloodworm to my elephant nose don't know who is enjoying it more him or the Amanos lol

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon shrimp and snail tank

Old 04-13-2016, 09:37 PM   #10133
Aquarium Advice Activist

I did a 25% pwc and put in new activated carbon filter cartridges. Getting out an antibiotic.

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 04-13-2016, 10:09 PM   #10134
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

emptied my QT tank to get out all the contaminated water , cleaned everything filters tank and heater along with power head , refilled so it's ready for my next arrivals .

cleaned out canister filter on my predator tank and did a water change ,
Bought this canister as I figured it will make my life easier and it was under a C note ,
boy was I wrong , basically have to tear everything down before opening canister ,
need to prime lines before starting filter ,

it works great the work just to be able to clean it ' to much over kill

it's a cobalt E-X-T it says it's self priming and no need to remove intake or out take , glad I didn't listen or I would have had a flood . what should have took a little over a hour took almost all day ,

I see shut offs in the near future

54seaweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:34 AM   #10135
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by megi-lin View Post
Dosed my tank with antibiotics yesterday. Will actually remove the filter cartridges today since I cannot remove carbon from these Aqueon ones. Then I will dose the tank again.

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
I hope you are keeping them wet with fish tank water to keep BB.

~~~~~`

Had a couple out of town trips this last week but got back about 5 days sooner than I was going to so very happy about that.

Added water for evap a couple days back and tonight added a gallon to the 12G Edge and added 1.5G to the shrimp tank. and the rest of that gallon to the 72G. It needs more but hope to do a pwc tomorrow or the next day.

Think I found a home for a couple Angel fish. And I am hoping the Opaline
Gourami too, to a big tank like maybe a 150 or 210G. Will know for sure in a couple days.

Thought a couple of the nano fish I just moved were no longer with us. Turns out they were hiding, as I sat looking at the tank with no lights on I see them swimming around. Only one is brave and out all the time. The others are scared. Maybe I will get a background frost coating.

Also need to get a few more fish to round out the group of Green Kubotai. And will start looking for Boraras Brigittae again locally. And a couple more of the Boesemani females. I will need to go on a long drive to check out the not so lfs to find them.

Will have to make a special trip to get more of the Green Kubotai this week if they are in stock.

New to FW fish? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ork&page=rules

FW - 72G / 12G Edge/11.4G Mr Aqua Rimless
SW - Nano 6.6G Edge - Plus a FW 46G bowfront (QT)
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:21 PM   #10136
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Water changes

Money can't buy happiness.... But I can buy fish, which is kind of the same thing.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:41 PM   #10137
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Did a little tidying of the fish food containers and put away a few things I have been forgetting to put away.

Wanting to move the 3 buckets of misc plants and snails with sponge filter and stuff to get the room looking better. Hoping to finish that tonight.

Did a 1 gallon pwc and added almost a gallon of evaporated water from the week I was mostly away from home on the 6.6G SW nano.

Removed a few bristleworms from the SW and also changes the filter floss to a filter pad and upped the water flow to help clean out the cloudiness I stirred up. Removed a few dead frag plugs I had dumped in with some other rubble for my little Pistol shrimp (which I never see) when I was in a hurry one evening to wrap things up. It had made a muck catching cave where the intake was. Now that is gone. Should be cleaner now that the filter can get the crumbs.

The 2 extra Double Black Angelfish will have a new, good, experienced home in a couple weeks

Got the Cuprisorb in which absorbs copper, so I will be emptying the 46G QT tank and refilling and running this stuff for a couple weeks at a time and testing for the copper levels, till it is gone.

Got 2 bags just in case I needed it. Have heard great things about the effiacy of this product - to eliminate any detectable copper. Won't use a copper containing product again in a whole tank application!!!

Found a juvenile TT shrimp walking around, so that pretty much proves that the TT were having babies and the Green Kubotai were enjoying expensive snacks!

Still see 2 berried females, probably the same two as before. So very hopeful in getting a whole bunch of babies to start filling up the stock. I will be on the look out for a few more very nice ones from an outside source to strengthen the line.

Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules

Old 04-18-2016, 06:49 AM   #10138
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Fed the goldfish Repashy Soilent Green for the first time. I think the cubes I cut may be a little large. I think they liked it, but they didn't go crazy for it.

Tested nitrates and phosphate to see how the PPS-Pro is going. Phosphate was low so I upped the micros and non-nitrogen macros.

Re-planted all the elodea/anacharis that my piggy goldfish uprooted over the weekend.

Looked at testing kits for potassium and magnesium so I have a better idea of what plant uptake is. They're all really expensive and not in the range/accuracy necessary for PPS-Pro, so I gave up and ordered a TDS meter from Amazon.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:48 PM   #10139
Aquarium Advice Regular

POTM Champion

Nothing yet.

But I need to re-place a frag that was knocked off the LR by my (gigantic) Emerald Crab -- that puppy's easily 2" claw-tip to claw-tip when he's acting mean...maybe even 2 1/2" tip-to-tip -- that'll be done within the next hour.

Nothing to be done in the 29g.
MLHoenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:27 AM   #10140
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Finished moving a few things around. Edited out a tank stand I thought would be cute to use someday (the doors have glass, frosted and fish outlines), but instead it looks like its going on the donation truck in a couple days. Too many projects and just not enough time to make it all happen.

Spent a bit of time getting around to nearly ordering some macroalgae from Reef Keepers trying to decide for sure to spend $20 more to get free shipping which is really like 10 because shipping is $10 - LOL!

Also checked in on a local company to buy some (SW) pods, but they can't do pick up only shipping UGH...have I mentioned (lately) how much I hate paying for shipping!!!!!!? Wierd I know... its cost to get stuff from one place to another...I know - still hate it!

Community Rules

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com