Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-21-2016, 11:51 AM   #10221
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm gonna do a tank by tank update real quick since I haven't been on lately. Sorry for your losses everyone and I'm jealous of all you with amazing looking planted or reef tanks, my tanks are slowly slowly coming along.

10g shrimp tank: I received a total of 24 rcs in the mail a few weeks ago over two shipments. I sold a lot of the second shipment since it had only two that were somewhat colored that I kept so I was left with 15 shrimp. Both of my favorite shrimp died (they had purple coloration on them) but I've had no losses lately and they are doing well, the tank is slowly growing back in after a huge plant die out a few months ago so what I was able to save was very little and it's taking its time to grow back in.

38g planted: this is tied with my shrimp tank as favorite tank. I have very few fish in the tank, an electric blue acara, a pair of pearl gourami, two black kuhli loaches, and an upside down cat. This tank is kinda left to grow, I don't plan on trimming anything as I'm aiming for a wild look. The majority of the plants are/will be water lilies since I love the colors.

55g community: this is my unlucky tank. I had set it up with discus but lost half of them so ended up selling the remaining 3, next I had a handfed, trained African butterfly fish who jumped, so I replaced him but the new one ate every fish he could catch and he was sold when he decided to go after the betta. Now I have 18 neons (I had 20 but butterflyfish ate 2), 10 black neons, 3 otos (I had 6, one got a fungal infection and the other two went missing), a twig cat, a whiptail cat, and a pair of honey gourami. I also had a pair of apistogramma trifasciata but the male got dropsy and the female began to attack the gourami so I sold her after the male died. I am trying to get the plants to grow but have had very little luck. They are healthy, they just don't grow. I had a major pond snail problem but once I got zebra loaches they decimated the pond snail population.

55g lake tanganyika tank: this tank has had the largest change. I sold all the cichlids and fish except for the pleco and the 5-barred cichlid and replaced them with some neolamprologus similis, a julidochromis transcriptus, and a massive featherfin catfish. I almost had to put the catfish down at first bc he got severe ich and fin rot. He has been blind in one eye bc of it for almost a month but is recovering his sight, his fins were destroyed especially his back dorsal fin but have all grown back except his back dorsal, and he has scars all over his body.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 05-21-2016, 10:25 PM   #10222
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

Did the weekly 20% water change, plus filter maintenance. I was amazed at the number of snails in the two filters.

Tossed the expired carbon in the AC 50 and added a 100ml bag of Purigen, which I've been wanting to try out.

Trimmed the humongous runner one of my e. tenellus plants put out and replanted three or four of the best in the foreground. Next week I'll get the runner from the other mother plant. I may wind up with a "carpet" yet.

Sadly had to throw away some good cardamine lyrata clippings, since I had no place to put them.

Added Nualgi to the tank to see how it controls algae (the driftwood is getting patches of green hair algae). Several vloggers on Youtube have reported good results with it.

Made sure the young platy was okay. He's fine and seems to be growing.

Tomorrow: Neon Tetra shopping!

Now open: "JJ&J's Seafood Buffet" 20g long planted freshwater - Sunset Fire Platy (x5 adults, many young (argh)),Neon Tetras (x11), x3 amano shrimp, 40 lbs. Eco-Complete, AC 50 + AC 20, Finnex Planted+ 8 hours per day, Seachem ferts.
Barliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:46 PM   #10223
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

don't know why but filters attract snails great breeding ground

54seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 12:23 AM   #10224
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Got some fish stuff and went out for dinner for my birthday

<g.m.t.a>
Old 05-23-2016, 09:27 PM   #10225
Aquarium Advice Regular

POTM Champion

20g water change in the 75g
10g water change in the 29g
General housekeeping in both tanks

Yesterday, I added a pair of Neon Gobies – they're doing well with everyone else...
MLHoenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:28 PM   #10226
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Water change. Fed peas for the first time

<g.m.t.a>
Old 05-23-2016, 09:29 PM   #10227
Aquarium Advice Regular

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by guppygourami View Post
Got some fish stuff and went out for dinner for my birthday

<g.m.t.a>
Happy belated birthday from this olde ph*rte (05/10/55)

May all your livestock thrive!
MLHoenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:00 PM   #10228
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

done water changes in both tanks cleaned both the sump and canister replaced media in both . getting ready for 2 early morn arrivals fish and nems already have a nice kick start on the nems .

54seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:10 PM   #10229
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

Added six neons from a reputable LFS to bring my school back up to seven. Happy to say they've got great color and are eating like little pigs.

Here's a pic of them waiting to enter their new home:

Now open: "JJ&J's Seafood Buffet" 20g long planted freshwater - Sunset Fire Platy (x5 adults, many young (argh)),Neon Tetras (x11), x3 amano shrimp, 40 lbs. Eco-Complete, AC 50 + AC 20, Finnex Planted+ 8 hours per day, Seachem ferts.
Barliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:34 PM   #10230
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLHoenig View Post
Happy belated birthday from this olde ph*rte (05/10/55)

May all your livestock thrive!

Aw thank you! And aha then happy belated to you too!

<g.m.t.a>

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com