Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-03-2016, 02:48 AM   #10261
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellyx View Post
Had an awful job making sure I caught them all
I can imagine. I'll be picking up some amanos this week or next, and I was trying to figure out how I'd net them out the bag.

Now open: "JJ&J's Seafood Buffet" 20g long planted freshwater - Sunset Fire Platy (x5 adults, many young (argh)),Neon Tetras (x11), x3 amano shrimp, 40 lbs. Eco-Complete, AC 50 + AC 20, Finnex Planted+ 8 hours per day, Seachem ferts.
Barliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 05:41 PM   #10262
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Send a message via Skype™ to Carriwin
shelly, I'm glad to hear your tank is doing better!!! I can't wait to see pictures of the new additions, too!

Old 06-04-2016, 04:56 AM   #10263
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

shellyx - !!! Beautiful coloring!
~~~
Here goes:

Went to the CAS meeting. Had a really fun time. Learned all about the different types of micro foods for the fish. Narrowly missed getting a sample of some that were provided as door prizes. BUT got some other stuff.

Really excited today that I found a local direct source for all kinds of Bucephalandra. More on that a little later when I find out which kinds and how many I will be getting in about 2 1/2 weeks. But SUPER excited.

Back to the mini auction.

Was able to get 2 trios - of "Hawaiian" & Blue Wag Platy. Needed something for the top of the tank. Pics in a day or 2. They are in a temporary bucket right now.

Then got something kinda interesting from a breeder/business who supports the Club -donated Xiphophorus Helleri Rio Otapa babies. 5 fish fry and 4 shrimp and a tiny newborn fry shrimp Pretty dark blue kinda like shellyx's one pretty blue with a couple eggs and 3 clearish.

Sooo I didn't plan on new shrimp. Took a cylinder vase about a gallon as a probably temporary container and got all the fish and shrimp acclimated to their containers.

Baby fish temporary in the Tangerine Tiger shrimp tank. I bet the little buggers would eat the shrimp.

Got the 46G QT bowfront rinsed and finished putting back on stand. Will fill it tomorrow and add the Platy trios.

Also my friend brought me about 20 Red Ramshorn snails all with nice shells and some oyster shell grit to help harden the water. Snails were disributed into the tanks.

Enjoyed some fun conversations and got to see a Varigated Shark - stunning and exceptional orange and black specimen and a ~15" Black Shark.

Also have been looking for a couple baby Butterfly Koi. Checked with a local source but no luck there.

New to FW fish? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ork&page=rules

FW - 72G / 12G Edge/11.4G Mr Aqua Rimless
SW - Nano 6.6G Edge - Plus a FW 46G bowfront (QT)
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 04:27 PM   #10264
Aquarium Advice Freak

Had been a little lazy with the maintenance in my 700 ltr lately, was down to doin just 1 pwc per week and only gravel vac every 2nd because the flow in my vac was so slow, so I decided to 'tim the tool man' the hell out of it and took it from the standard 10mm hose Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1465067044.338268.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	287174 to a 17mm hose Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1465067220.969596.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	287175 and because my dw floats and is a decent size I have a little trouble getting to a lot of spots so I decided to remove is and give it a hose off too Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1465067359.844183.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	289.3 KB
ID:	287176 ( thing is so heavy ) I then took my Anubias out and scrubbed the leaves, rinsed the internal sponge filters and pre filter on the canister, scraped the back glass for the first time since starting the tank, removed a few less than healthy plants then did a 190 ltr gravel vac Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1465067675.764839.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	287177 ( so much quicker now ) then the reconstruction began Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1465068358.777112.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	287178 took about 2.5 hours, but worth it
Old 06-04-2016, 05:02 PM   #10265
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Checked the new additions and seems all is well. I took out the heater from the bucket of Platy because it was a little too warm- it was a big heater. They don't really need that much heat.

Got my water feature slate fountain cleaned, filled and ready to plug in.

EDIT addition:
Water feature outside plugged in and works great!

Moved the heater to the opposite side of the 12G Edge tank, hubby mentioned the clamp light sitting on top of the tank and if it was needing a new light.

Told him I had it in the closet and just hadn't got around to putting it up. Then got a husband look of disapproval of the clamp light sitting on top if the tank could look stock. SOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Got it out and switched it over just took a couple minutes - can't believe I didn't get that done months ago! Took longer to mop up the water I spilled over the sides from plunging my hand into the tank with out removing some water first :headbang:

Best thing was that I bought a on/off switch and if you know, the Edge tank requires removal of the lid any time you want to turn the light on or off pain in the bum. Now it is located easily to go on or off with out removing the lid!!!
Yipeee!

Then adjusted the Mini Anubias on the DW spike which covers the intake and wow does it look nice! Just need to move the Cuddle bone out from the front that flipped out of its corner to hide in back again. Pics tomorrow or the next day!

Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules

Old 06-05-2016, 10:15 AM   #10266
Elephant nose Finatic!

Busy, busy Autumn! Thanks for the compliment, really enjoy watching them.
50 % clean on my elephant nose tank. Lot's off trimming on my plant's, removed loads of floating frogbit again.
Early clean on the boraras tank, been doing extra since they've not been well. Trimmed plant's, rinsed filter's and put both filter's together so the spray bars are touching ( filter feeders enjoying the extra flow ) I'm enjoying watching the boraras, the alpha male keeps chasing the other's away from the moss, it's funny considering he's on only a cm long!

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon boraras ,bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:27 PM   #10267
Aquarium Advice Regular

POTM Champion

Discovered my Spotted Mandarin mostly gone...

And I thought I had a pretty good population of pods swimming around in the rocks...lots of 'em still flitting about.
MLHoenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:22 PM   #10268
Aquarium Advice Freak

Rescaped my eheim 6gl with some ryouh stone i jus got.

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2016, 01:31 AM   #10269
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKoopa512 View Post
Rescaped my eheim 6gl with some ryouh stone i jus got.

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk
Looks nice! Like your rock work.

~~~
Thanks shellyx - Glad to hear your fish are acting like fish instead of sickly in a corner.

Did a 1G pwc on the fish in a bucket fed the night before. Moving them tomorrow.

Thought it was a goner but found there a was still a 3rd in the group of nano Rasboras. Hides well in the ferns and other plants.

The tank has a clear background and am wondering if that inhibits them. The Merah aka Phoenix Rasbora kinda hangs out with the 2 Green Kubotai.

The 2 Boraras uropthalmoides aka Exclamation Point Rasbora hide like there is a shark on the loose.

Think I might try a bit of frosted window film on the back panel and see if that helps their comfort level.

So frustrated that I can't seem to get the fish I am looking for at the lfs that are kinda near me (45 - 60 min.)

If I can find the little fish I am looking for far away, will get them to add to their groups. Already called the "local" ones for this week. Will make a few phone calls for this weeks shipments all over the area. Usually Wed-Thurs arrivals.

Hope to get the 2 trios in the QT tank Monday.

Would prefer if I can get the QT done (kinda all at once) in the next few weeks and be done for awhile.

Found a cool piece of DW in the river. Need to clean it. Also got a small clump of some plant I can't recall atm, the name I think it is.

Also want to sneak over to a ditch that has dwarf cat tails and pluck up a clump of them for the outdoor water container. Should be getting the Blue Endlers for that very soon.

Thinking I should catch the 5 baby Swords and put them with the Platy trios for the QT 3 -4 weeks, and then they should all be big enough to go into the 72G.

As a side note, there have been NO new eggs laid in the 72G by an Angel fish, so maybe I have 2 males now. Hoping so.

Community Rules

Old 06-06-2016, 01:04 PM   #10270
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Send a message via Skype™ to Carriwin
So, I'll be replacing evaporated water out of my 38g tank, because it's missing a lid, and have a huge evaporation problem... so, we'll see what I can do to fix that problem. I have not seen where I can just buy the lid, so I'm going to figure out something creative I'm sure. Maybe I'll look at glass lids. We'll see.

I'm just working on maintaining my status quo with what I have going on at present. Not really making any changes. However, I am getting the "i want to give my convict fish a buddy" bug... though I know it would be an exercise in futility.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com