Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-12-2016, 10:51 PM   #10541
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guppygourami View Post
Fresh2O - woah. Why did you remove them? If this is the one in your DP I might just cry - it looked beautiful!

I finally got power back three hours later while I was eating dinner. I dropped my fork, ran to the tanks and put water in the filters. You know you're obsessed with your fish when you would rush to the filters before turning your dining room's lights on LOL
Its temporary. Going to pick through what I've removed and replant them. Different arrangement this time.
Shameless plug here
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKoopa512 View Post
Ergghhh brown algae why?!?!?!?! Lol

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk
Drop checker getting lime green? I would cut back on the lighting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruutah View Post
Yeah.... This place has not helped my MTS issues. In fact I'm likely doubling my gallon count tomorrow.

Sent from my LG-H343 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
I've been here for about 5 years and I've resisted the urge and encouragement here (many enablers!)
I only have a shrimp tank, a planted tank, and a small QT/plant holding tank. I just don't put in the time to manage more tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 08-13-2016, 03:59 AM   #10542
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

Quote:
My New betta. His name is blue. Your my boy blue. Lol

Oh, my goodness! I love his coloring and the pattern on his tail -- I've never seen that before. He is a very handsome little guy!

Now open: "JJ&J's Seafood Buffet" 20g long planted freshwater - Sunset Fire Platy (x5 adults, many young (argh)),Neon Tetras (x11), x3 amano shrimp, 40 lbs. Eco-Complete, AC 50 + AC 20, Finnex Planted+ 8 hours per day, Seachem ferts.
Barliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 04:13 AM   #10543
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

Been dealing with an algae problem in the 20-long: within about 10 days, my lovely red alternanthera was overrun by green fuzz algae. I've started overdosing Excel gradually to control it while looking at longer term solutions.

I've also begun setting up an old 10g that I'm going to use as a grow-out tank for my platy fry (and to separate the adult males from the females). Ordered some equipment from Amazon, was disappointed to discover the Finnex Stingray clipon light, while a great light, didn't securely fit on rimmed tanks. It's clearly made for modern rimless tanks. So, I'm returning it for a refund and buying a Marineland LED instead.

Granted this is a grow-out tank and, when the "Platy problem" is solved, a quarantine tank, I still can't resist planting it. So, I bought 20lbs. of Caribsea Instant Aquarium Torpedo Beach Sand. With some Malaysian driftwood and a few crypts and anubias nana, I think I can get a nice aquascape. (My hope is the "Instant aquarium" sand plus squeezings from my existing filter will get the tank cycled quickly.)

Still dreaming of that 40-breeder with Black Ruby Barbs, too.
Now open: "JJ&J's Seafood Buffet" 20g long planted freshwater - Sunset Fire Platy (x5 adults, many young (argh)),Neon Tetras (x11), x3 amano shrimp, 40 lbs. Eco-Complete, AC 50 + AC 20, Finnex Planted+ 8 hours per day, Seachem ferts.
Barliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 04:23 AM   #10544
Elephant nose Finatic!

Quote:
Also at work we order some bamboo shrimp got them today they were massive like the size of a crawfish

Love my bamboo shrimp! My big guy is 4 inches now I've had him a while. Good luck with them

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon boraras , red longfin bristlenose, bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:25 AM   #10545
Elephant nose Finatic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMaier View Post
Blame it on us. This site is a lousy with MTS. It is highly contagious.

I had one and a grow out tank outside with no light or filters.

Now I have 2 additional 8g Biorbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Yep, I do blame this place lol so many beautiful bettas! My hubby has said no more 😀 so this will have to be the last, well at the moment 😉

30 gallon boraras , red longfin bristlenose, bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:19 AM   #10546
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellyx View Post
Attachment 288575
Received my pleco hide for Finlay he's already in it!
What a smart fish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
This is NOT a dirted tank but it certainly is dirty!
YIKES - You scared me a good one! That is a mess, lol!!! It is because with all those plants we really can't vac the bottom anymore. Which reminds me I need to clean my filter and vac the bare spots.

Even after all these crazy rescapes (and scaring me like you do) your tank comes out beautiful.

~~~~~~~~

Well where do I begin. A big box store had Tetras for 1.00. I bought 16 Neons, one died. The person getting the fish was swiping around the tank like a wild maniac for 30 minutes at least for them and maybe 15-20 for the 8 Glowlight Tetras (not glofish). I was surprised any of them were alive this morning, as mentioned there was one dea tonight he'd looked a little dazed after being caught.

There is one cranky Angelfish chasing off other fish he is annoyed at for getting near his space (which might be anywhere in the tank.) No where seems to be safe now.

I just saw him attack the smallest Angel juvenile and cause it to nearly die of a heart attack (kinda half floated around the tank sideways as well as the bite it probably got from him.

A couple other fish were getting a bit antsy.

There is gonna be a change (nothing like Fresh2O ).

Decided to move the Angels, Odessa Barbs and the Opaline Gourami and probably after getting it set up the Spotted Rafael cat giant monster fish to the 46F bowfront.

Was going to get rid of that tank but figured I would rather move the big fish over there. (shellyx - MTS is spreading still) I kept thinking it wasn't big enough but it will be fine for a little while to see if rest of the tankmates find harmony.

All the Tetras will go into the 72G.

I tried to find the Cardinals for a good price anywhere but not yet - still looking. I think I'd like to have about 50 Neons / Cardinals. I moved the male Guppies into the 72G. So far they are being very good at hiding in the Tape Grass which is pooling around the top/surface area and is wider (~1.5") than the Guppies.

It seems that the big fish are prejudice against Guppies and are all now annoyed that they are there in the tank. The plan is to move them in the next couple days.

I might need to put a divider in the tank until they get settled. Well I was feeling like a change was due, and this was the catalyst.

New to FW fish? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ork&page=rules

FW - 72G / 12G Edge/11.4G Mr Aqua Rimless
SW - Nano 6.6G Edge - Plus a FW 46G bowfront (QT)
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:49 AM   #10547
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Got a good pic of a couple of the Guppies because they weren't moving!

The close up of it

Also I found that my SW Pompom Crab has eggs. Orange mass.

I also fed the tank a little more than usual / a pinch of tiny fry food due to the large pod population in the Chaeto ball ans because the Pompom Crab was out filtering last night.

Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules

Old 08-13-2016, 06:09 AM   #10548
Elephant nose Finatic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
Got a good pic of a couple of the Guppies because they weren't moving!

The close up of it

Also I found that my SW Pompom Crab has eggs. Orange mass.

I also fed the tank a little more than usual / a pinch of tiny fry food due to the large pod population in the Chaeto ball ans because the Pompom Crab was out filtering last night.
Beautiful looking guppies Autumn! Really love those markings, your crab is cute. I was looking at the marine inverts yesterday at my lfs so many different species.

Old 08-14-2016, 02:49 AM   #10549
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Ended up doing a 20G pwc on the 72G - only to find out that I had a dead fish and that most of them were gasping at the top of the tank this morning. Well I freaked a little and found a air bubbler and was checking the tank, the pump had almost no flow coming in from the filter. I unhooked it and took it apart and found that 2 little pieces of the filter pad cubes I made for the filter basket, escaped the basket somehow - they stack into each other so not too sure how that happened.

Anyhow, they were plugging the tube plus the filter was dirty and needed a clean anyway. Perfect storm nightmare. The water was barely moving.

Had work today so hurried to complete the FX-5 filter clean. Thankfully it restarted without having to remove and clean the motor and impeller. Fish seem better tonight but not perfect. Added calcium and a little bit of baking soda. We have to do some more water changes because the gunk in the tubes flooded into the tank and made the water quality even worse.

I guess that was the reason for the agitated fish last night - not the Guppies per se. More pwc for me tonight. Poor fish.

Community Rules

Old 08-14-2016, 04:53 AM   #10550
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Didn't have any Epsom Salt anymore - all used by someone in the house for baths :/

So made a after midnight run to the store for some (was told [in a friendly way]in the parking lot by the inhabitant of the vehicle next to mine that my dog who was barking at him as he was loading and getting into his car - who rode with me to the store since it is the only cool time in summer, could be a snack for his snake - 18 feet that recently ate a piglet.) That's disturbing!!!

Remembering what my mom told me when I was a child - Don't talk to strangers!!! So I hopped in the car and left quickly!!!!!

Having to calculate tsp to cups as I rather not need to scoop out 72 tsp / 1.5C.

Combining that with the hot water then the cold water till tank temp and treat w/my new big bottle of Prime I had to buy today. This will be the concentrate & will add over the next 24 hours. Water already treated with the calcium and a tiny amount of baking soda.

After the last 1/3rd pwc fish seem hungry and much more active. No food till tomorrow.

Though I discovered a few more dead bodies.

Wondering what the aftermath will bring in sick fish from this dangerous episode.

The reason for the minerals is the low KH.

Treating a max dose of Prime. Hoping for no more dead in the AM.

Community Rules

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com