Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-02-2016, 04:36 PM   #10721
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
Here you go...

Have not seen my tank in the last few days because of work. Will be doing a plant trim and PWC today. Plus scooping duckweed out of the QT/plant holding tank. No like duckweed.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm saving that.

Now open: "JJ&J's Seafood Buffet" 20g long planted freshwater - Sunset Fire Platy (x5 adults, many young (argh)),Neon Tetras (x11), x3 amano shrimp, 40 lbs. Eco-Complete, AC 50 + AC 20, Finnex Planted+ 8 hours per day, Seachem ferts.
Barliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:10 PM   #10722
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Thanks everyone. The death tank has quieted down.

The next morning from the last time I had posted, the weak guppy and 2 last super red Plecos were dead, from how they looked I didn't doubt that's what I would see when I got up. Still sad of course.

Anyway, needing to view the fish keeping as a body of work not only by specific (tragic) loses. So overall I still am positive and oh so sad at the same time about it all.

There are so many home repair and work issues and family stuff going on it is really difficult to spend so much more time that I would like to with the tanks. They are mostly in auto mode.

Having the death tank issues, that ruins my plan to move my huge Neon Tetra eating Spotted Raphael Catfish to that tank and split up the mildly semi aggressive fish over to that tank and have the 80 neon tetras in the 72G.

Now there are around 35 total Neons, not the 80 purchased over the last 2 months. After the Raphael Cat ate about 30 and the others died in th QT.

THAT is a huge setback to say the least for the plan I had. Now will likely have to wait for a long while for them to go on $1. sale again. They were so beautiful to watch. I was pretty happy with that stocking plan. Moving on - just have to wait.

The next plan will be to move out all of the surviving fish from the QT after they are through the next 2 weeks. Get the entire tank sanitized. Filter cleaned out and sanitized as well and buy new media for it and begin cycling it on my 72G to start a new colony of BB. A fresh start.

Doing a ~ 20% pwc on the QT, SW and on the small tanks fast as I can, before I have to leave for the afternoon.

New to FW fish? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ork&page=rules

FW - 72G / 12G Edge/11.4G Mr Aqua Rimless
SW - Nano 6.6G Edge - Plus a FW 46G bowfront (QT)
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:16 PM   #10723
Aquarium Advice Freak

During standard weekly pwc/gravel vac I decided to remove the 2 internal sponge filters due to the difficulty in cleaning them really well without running water and replaced them with air stones, only problem is, now the thank has the constant, 'tiny bubbles popping on the surface' noise and it's quite annoying considering it used to be silent.
Can anyone suggest a remedy for this while retaining some form of bubble/surface agitation, I have a few thoughts but looking for alternatives
Old 10-03-2016, 12:47 AM   #10724
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Friday we brought home one male and one female blue ram to join the female we already had. Apparently three is a crowd, because one of the females was murdered this morning. I hadn't seen any bullying, so I'm surprised and disappointed. Ammonia was a little elevated, so I did a bit of a water change (five gallons).

I took her back and didn't even look at other fish because I feel like a very bad fish mama. I did look at plants, however.

There was one peacock fern left, and it was very pretty but also very brown. If there's any green, I can usually get plants to bounce back, and so I asked the guy who works there how dead he thought it was. He said, "Very." I found a different plant, it's like a tree that has some kind of java fern leaves. As I was checking out, the same guy came back and asked if I wanted to nurse some plants back to health. I spent a bit of time pruning and now my fish have many more hiding places!

Now I'm sitting watching our mother guppy. She dropped her last brood mid August, and everybody's eager to meet the new fry. I keep thinking she's going in to labor. She's so huge and square! She comes over by me when I sit down by the aquaria. I'm sure that has nothing to do with how I feed her tiny bits almost every time she sees me.

Oh! I also got a rabbit snail on aquabid that I am super excited about!

the tiny computer is full of delicion!
Old 10-03-2016, 07:25 AM   #10725
Elephant nose Finatic!

Glad things have started settling down Autumn, but sorry for your loses so sad 😢

Pwc on Gonzos tank, really hate the diatoms! Cleaned the sides and front glass but left the back for my nerites I've added, so tempted to clean it! Can't wait till plant's fill in it looks so bare could do with taller one's at the back?
Found my bettas heater had broke 😡 luckily I had a spare, now I know why his water was cooler other than that his plant's are growing great!
In my boraras tank I've found 13 baby tylos soo cute! I'll probably have to re home some or move a few into Gonzos tank and maybe a couple into the bettas.
Boraras are all looking good, and my plecos are more settled Thank Goodness.
A few updated pic's
Click image for larger version

Name:	1475490315228.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	289714Click image for larger version

Name:	1475490328652.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	289715Click image for larger version

Name:	1475490346151.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	289716

70 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon boraras , red longfin bristlenose, bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.
7 gallon halfmoon betta and red ramshorn.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:32 AM   #10726
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Your Betta is looking so happy in his beautiful tank!! Looks great!

OMGG baby Tylo snails, what an exciting happening!

~~~~

Well didn't get to the pwc yesterday but did bigger ones today.

Death tank will now just be called the QT tank. So that is good no dead ones again. Did a 12-15G pwc

12G tanks did about 3 gallons on each one.

72G did a 15+G pwc

The SW nano....

Well added minerals in the AM then later decided the Chaeto monster needed taming and removed a 1/3 5G bucket of the stuff. Initially could only find 3 of the Sexy shrimp but after awhile found the other one. Found the Pom Pom Crab as well. Put back a gob of Chaeto after removing it all.

Added a frag stone for the Rock Flower Anemone to grab onto. It still in on the underside of my leather frag which I can't get it the amount of light it might prefer with the RFA stuck to the bottom side. Hoping it wiggles its way onto the bare frag stone.

Removed the Caleurpa from the very middle to the back and gave the RFA and Leather more room for light.

Removed a bunch of baby Bristleworms from the Chaeto. added an air bubbler to the bucket and will put the light on it during the night to keep it green. Gave it a little extra minerals to green it up a bit more.

EDIT - just found my little brittle star I had only seen it one time and not since the tank change so was very excited to see it at the top of the Chaeto, when I went to put the light on the bucket!!!!!!! It is around 1.25" across and the center is about 3mmin diameter!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Then I found a 175G bowfront tank for $400. it has a chip in it. It was too late when I found the ad to check on it, but if it is still up for sale I will check in the next day or 2.

Then I found an old one that is 200G+ bowfront for $300 been sitting unused for 5 years so I would imagine it needs resealing and the plastic brace on top needs to be replaced. Maybe will check on that cost.

Dream..............

BIG! lol I would give up one of my other tanks for one of those for a Discus tank!

New to FW fish? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ork&page=rules

FW - 72G / 12G Edge/11.4G Mr Aqua Rimless
SW - Nano 6.6G Edge - Plus a FW 46G bowfront (QT)
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:08 AM   #10727
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
Death tank will now just be called the QT tank. So that is good no dead ones again.
Awesome!

Just some gazing so far today. Guys, I really am enjoying this forum. Thanks for being so great.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:45 AM   #10728
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh you wanted a picture of the fish? Better clean those beak marks off!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1475639118132.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	289780  
Old 10-05-2016, 10:04 AM   #10729
Aquarium Advice Activist

So far today just scrubbed the algae off the sides of the outdoor 55. Plants are going nuts out there with hours of full Sun. Unfortunately it needs more plants as it's growing algae like mad as well.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:31 PM   #10730
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Weekly parameter checks. All those new plants are consuming all of the carbon in the water, and now I have soft, alkaline water.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com