Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-19-2016, 12:38 AM   #10941
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

PWC on 3 tanks. Biorb, 10g and 5g. All of the plants I tied last week are coming undone. Cotton thread is falling apart fast. I know what I'm doing again....
Move some plants around too.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1482122188.560343.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	292085

Name:	IMG_1482122260.453871.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	292086

Name:	IMG_1482122275.556354.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	292087

Old 12-19-2016, 01:52 PM   #10942
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

Went to Petsmart yesterday and bought a second heater for my 10g platy "grow out" tank. My apartment gets cold overnight and the existing heater (Fluval E series) was having trouble holding the temp where I wanted it (77). So I got a 50W Eheim Jager, put it in, and... It obviously needs some calibration. I set it to 77, had to pull the plug when the temp reached nearly 80.

I'll have to work with it tonight. Heaters can be such a pain in the tuchus.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:03 AM   #10943
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barliman View Post
Went to Petsmart yesterday and bought a second heater for my 10g platy "grow out" tank. My apartment gets cold overnight and the existing heater (Fluval E series) was having trouble holding the temp where I wanted it (77). So I got a 50W Eheim Jager, put it in, and... It obviously needs some calibration. I set it to 77, had to pull the plug when the temp reached nearly 80.

I'll have to work with it tonight. Heaters can be such a pain in the tuchus.
True, True!!

`````````

Well tried to shopping for a bday present but ended up asking for maybe 10 things and the store didn't have any thing I wanted!!! Just picked up my SW and RO/DI water 10G & 5G.

The biggest issue was that they didn't have any Tisbee Pods which are ideal for a warm water SW tank. They will reproduce new pods easily. So I guess I need to go to my old standby store (call first). Winter they aren't always available. Need more to help feed my little fish. Will also put them in the SW VASE and try and grow extras for continued feeding.

Added water last night to the SW nano getting ready for a pwc tomorrow.

Trying to decide on fish tanks and stocking plan withh deletions and new additions (still). Feel like I am getting closer.

Noticed sooo many new juvenile Tangerine Tiger Shrimp. Seems like there at least double where we were before.

The other thing I wanted at the lfs was some Fluval Shrimp Strattum. They don't carry that product.

The shrimp love the jungle.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 11:52 PM   #10944
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Have found that the wall I planned to move the 72G to, shares an electrical outlet with the kitchenette /office area and has a tendency to trip the breaker in the electrical box. We are going to check the wiring size to see it it can get exchanged to a larger breaker to stop that issue. Or run a new power line, but that would be further down the road.

Gave the SW fish the gift of Tigger Pods as the Tisbee weren't available.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules

FW & SW
Old 12-26-2016, 05:30 AM   #10945
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Well maybe I am just talking ot myself, lol - maybe it's the Christmas / holidays?!?

Any how. Moved my 11.4G Mr Aqua tank over next to the 12G Edge since the 72G isn't moving over to that spot right away. Found the drawer of the cabinet didnt' close and then it was pointed out to me that the top was bowing down/sagging and that means the strength of th cabinet is compromised.

Will need a replacement ASAP! Saggy cabinet is a 2 drawer lateral file cabinet. The other is a vintage small square butcher block (which is very much stronger and thick actual wood not strange particle board/wood substitute.)

Have been looking for some useful, strong base stand/cabinets (2 matching) to put them on but haven't found quite what I wanted yet.

Cleaned out some hair algae from the 12G moved some plants around, hid the heater and bubbler - again, seems to keep wiggling up. Looks pretty good.

Realized last night that my batteries were dead in 2 of my tank lights remotes and subbed out one from the good remote and found the tank light actualy works so removed the 48" extra light off of the 36" tank (unsightly anyhow) back to the 72G which is a 4' tank.

Will be picking up 2 new batteries and try hooking up light number 3. Those 2 were stashed in the fish junk closet. Now the 46G tank looks okay - not like a "dark swamp" as it was called by a family member. (Kinda true but unkind to mention.)

Thought company would be looking at the tanks and wiped off all the tops and lights and glass. No one looked at them ;/!

Cleaned up all the stray tank mess that tends to accumulate. It looks nice, even if no one else saw it.

Seriously considering ordering a new replacement tank for the 2nd long ago broken 12G Edge. Pondering if Fluval is ever going to come out with the Edge 3. Maybe I will again email them and see if there is an ETA planned.

Community Rules

FW & SW
Old 12-26-2016, 07:06 AM   #10946
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
Well maybe I am just talking ot myself, lol - maybe it's the Christmas / holidays?!?
It's the holidays. Folks traveling, away from their tanks wondering "How are the tanks doing?" Or "Did I remember to _________ before leaving?"
I like seeing what has changed after being away.
Good luck on the cabinet. I'm thinking about building a stand that can accommodate a 40b for my 20 long. Caveat: Must match the existing office furniture. Doable, will just take some planning.
Old 12-26-2016, 04:58 PM   #10947
Aquarium Advice FINatic

FINALLY got my own test kit to find that all levels are good but nitrates are 50-80 ppm. Gotta get those normal ASAP
Old 12-26-2016, 06:04 PM   #10948
Aquarium Advice Newbie

opps

I bought my girl friend a couple of small coy fish I know nothing about fish and I think I made a mistake. I thought I was leaving for three days and just dumped in enough for three days. well know my little tank is a sort of fish food tea. will my filter clean up the murk or do I need to clean it out? also should I be worried about there health at all?
Old 12-26-2016, 08:05 PM   #10949
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyb1833 View Post
I bought my girl friend a couple of small coy fish I know nothing about fish and I think I made a mistake. I thought I was leaving for three days and just dumped in enough for three days. well know my little tank is a sort of fish food tea. will my filter clean up the murk or do I need to clean it out? also should I be worried about there health at all?
Lots of questions! Please start a thread in the getting started section

∑∑∑∑∑∑
New favorite hobby: going to Petco, pulling out dying plants (tube and bag, not tank), taking them up to the counter, and asking to get a discount. I got an alternathera reineckii and green ozelot for half price. Took off the dead bits, and they look pretty good!

http://injaf.org/
http://www.instagram.com/thedelicion
nirbhao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 09:06 PM   #10950
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
Have found that the wall I planned to move the 72G to, shares an electrical outlet with the kitchenette /office area and has a tendency to trip the breaker in the electrical box. We are going to check the wiring size to see it it can get exchanged to a larger breaker to stop that issue. Or run a new power line, but that would be further down the road.
how old is your home and what size breaker is in the box I had that same issue
I upped the breaker in the box from 10amp to a 15amp I added a extra 5amps
seemed to do the trick , than I was told I could have upped it to a 20 amp with no issues

54seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com