Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-11-2017, 01:52 AM   #11011
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

Found a new home for my canister. The canister did make an audible hum while it was in the bucket. Now? Can't hear it at all.
Thanks for the idea, TMaier!!! 🏻*♀️

Old 01-11-2017, 03:10 AM   #11012
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
Found a new home for my canister. The canister did make an audible hum while it was in the bucket. Now? Can't hear it at all.
Niiice!!

Old 01-11-2017, 04:41 AM   #11013
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Great / smart addition.

~~~

Forgot to mention one of my Swordtails - X. Rio Otapa helleri, has a little sword growing on his tail!!! So one male at least out of the 4.

SW -
I did remove 50% of the Chaeto and some of the excess Macroalgae in the SW nano. I am a little worried one of my little Serpent Stars which was in the Chaeto before, I didn't see him in the Chaeto I took out but they can squeeze up so small and it is very small anyhow. I added it to the SW Vase Edge tank.

Did a pwc on it and will keep watch for it in the tank. It is a favorite little creature and hope not to lose it.

The excess M/A in the "vase" tank will be sent to someone else but I have to search it extremely well before it goes.

Still hoping to get some more things to new homes.

It was weird when I went to do the pwc, I was thinking of doing the 12G Edge next, BUT as I walked into the room I realized I had momentarily forgot that it was dry /empty!!! That saved a bunch of time. lol One gets into a process of doing things and the routine is automatic I embarrassed myself on that one.

But when the 46G is done and gone, there will be 3 tanks. I found a couple leads on some shrimp. One looks super, and one I have to get more pics, the one I saw was too blurry to see the quality.

I have been looking at new styles of tanks, thinking of selling a few more things to clear some more space. Really looking for less work and more fun of keeping them.

Having tank guilt looking at them instead of happiness. It is coming around now though. Some relief in view!

~~~~

Looking at getting a good sound beautiful rescape. I kinda feel like the Christmas time "visions of sugarplums danced in their heads" instead it is rocks and plants and substrate, and tanks and stock, danced in my head lol!

Over the past 2 years, many things have been turned up side down and so many plans have changed. It is okay, but there isn't as much time to play with the tanks as there used to be. Kinda "narrowing the focus" now.

Will deal with the algae ladened plants tomorrow. Have to learn more about how to do that.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:17 AM   #11014
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:

Awesome! Now it can be a little awkward pulling it in and out. I put my canister inside a poly reusable shopping bag with handles. Makes it very easy to pull out and put back in for cleaning.

Mine will hum sometimes if there are bubbles in there. I tip it slightly to help move them out.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:37 PM   #11015
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

Quote:
Thanks for the idea, TMaier!!! ��*♀️
Well, that should end any worries about leaks and floods.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:00 PM   #11016
Aquarium Advice Regular

I ended up doing a 50% water change today rather than the 25% water change that I meant to do...mainly because I needed 25% to house Buck while I was doing the water change. I took out the large plastic plant I got him on Monday and replaced with two smaller, safer plastic plants since I noticed that the edges of the leaves on the big one were a little too pointed for my liking. I think I spent 30-40 minutes just going over every edge with a pair of scissors to cut off the sharp edges and dull them all down.

Anyways, I also did another ammonia test several hours after the water change and got a result that lay somewhere between 0 ppm and 0.25 ppm. Way too light a green to be 0.25 ppm but still green enough to not be a yellow. I feel like I am doing pretty alright by Buck with this constant care, but I would a lot better if I could manage to get the ammonia levels down to absolute zero. Going to do another test tomorrow right before I feed him to see if the ammonia I'm detecting isn't just me detecting some niblets Buck hasn't gotten to yet. Beyond my ammonia worries, at least the heater he has in with him manages to keep his tank at a steady 76-77 fahrenheit.

Beyond things I did specifically to or with the tank, I did some research on why Buck's pelvic fins are so transparent. I had done a little light research on this subject earlier and what I found mostly concerned me with mentions of fin regrowth from tearing of fins or fin rot. Both of those focused on clear/transparent fin edges though, not the entirety of the fin like Buck has. So I did some deep research today and found out that some bettas just end up having naturally transparent fins so that is what I am hoping for. I'm still keeping an eye on him to make sure that he is not sick or something. Buck, beyond his transparent fins, seems to be doing great behaviourally and physically.
AnimalKrazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:06 PM   #11017
Aquarium Advice Freak

Did 50% water changes on all three tanks.....takes so long to haul that many buckets lol

I rescaped the 38, and began my first steps to planning a Betta safe 29bowfront

It feels too open, but for the first day, it looks ok
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1484190341.571805.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	293158rescaped38Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1484190373.771603.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	29315929betta renovation
Old 01-12-2017, 08:03 AM   #11018
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barliman View Post
Well, that should end any worries about leaks and floods.
I need to check the volume of the bin but it is quite generous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMaier View Post
Awesome! Now it can be a little awkward pulling it in and out. I put my canister inside a poly reusable shopping bag with handles. Makes it very easy to pull out and put back in for cleaning.

Mine will hum sometimes if there are bubbles in there. I tip it slightly to help move them out.
Does your brain ever stop working? Great suggestion! I noticed that when I was sliding a square piece of foam under it to see if it made a difference damping noise (BTW - made no difference; can't hear it with the lid closed). Was a bit awkward trying to grab the canister by the base. Even a plastic grocery bag would work for this. Thanks again.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:00 AM   #11019
Aquarium Advice Regular

Tank of the Month Award

My tank was a little neglected while I was away for the weekend (trusted the boyfriend with keeping on top of it, bad idea lol *facepalm*) so I did a 25% water change, took driftwood out and cleaned goopy algae off the branches, and cleaned some of the gravel. The ribbon plants became uprooted while I was gone and I was tired of replanting them and their pathetic looking roots so I took them out and ran to Petco and replaced them with some various anubias. The tetras definitely didn't like that, as the ribbon plants were for whatever reason their favorite hiding spot, so they were hiding low in the plants and not playing for the rest of the night. Hopefully they'll get used to the scary new plants soon, and hopefully the scary new plants will grow and make more hiding places.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:11 AM   #11020
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Does your brain ever stop working? Great suggestion! I noticed that when I was sliding a square piece of foam under it to see if it made a difference damping noise (BTW - made no difference; can't hear it with the lid closed). Was a bit awkward trying to grab the canister by the base. Even a plastic grocery bag would work for this. Thanks again.

Brain never stops. It's the noisiest darn thing.

That canister full of water and media is heavy! I would recommend a very strong bag. If the handles break on a plastic bag and the canister falls it might crack.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com