Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-14-2017, 11:55 PM   #11051
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Dragon rock is $6.99 a lb in NorCal.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:45 AM   #11052
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMaier View Post
WoW

Old 01-15-2017, 01:12 AM   #11053
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barliman View Post
Went to Dick's Sporting Good to finally fill my paintball canisters, so I can at last set up my pressurized CO2 system, only to discover this store no longer does paintball refills...
Dude... Your profile says you're in SoCal in the middle of paintball season. Find a field near you. Probably cheaper per fill there anyway. Sunday is practice day usually for any teams that stuck together after nationals in October. So if you go early expect rapid fire. Speedballers are a "special" breed.

Ok.. Back to fish
Old 01-15-2017, 01:16 AM   #11054
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ordering 150 lbs at a time only gets our price down to just over 3$ a lb here in FL. (I know this guy )
Old 01-15-2017, 05:49 AM   #11055
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had last week off, so side from giving the house a much needed tidy I got on top of a lot of neglected tasks in my aquarium.

The first and most tedious of them was to do a massive trim on my community tank and hand pick green hair algae from about 150ish stems then do them individually in a strong peroxide dip. I did this in two sittings and left them cleaned seems in separate containers. The first took 2.5 hours, the next day took another 2. I didn't disturb my crypts but they got the gha algae carefully removed by hand and the worst effected leaves were trimmed off. I did a minor peroxide treatment on the tank, trimmed back all my changed plants to size then did a second peroxide dip before replanting. So far I've seen a few small strands since the replant, but the tank looked good but pretty bare.

The next day I did some shopping because I wanted to fill a couple more spaces. I picked up 4 punnets of hairgrass and a plant in pack from aquarium industries with 5 Red Rubin swords. I love the ease of cleaning the plant in pack gel base. The hairgrass was a pain though. I've tried it before but never taken great care with the roots. This time I carefully separated the roots and pulled apart hundreds of clumps without damaging many. I did all that 4 days ago, trimmed the hairgrass yesterday as well as the melting leaves on the swords. I'm seeing new leaves on the swords already and a few new runners from the hairgrass. I think I've gone a bit crazy on the trimming though. I didn't trim many crypts and they tower above everything else.

My betta tank also got a small lighting upgrade. I have a 1 foot dual t5 that had stopped working. I pulled it's cover off and fiddled with the ends where the tubes plug in. It worked again, I put the cover on, placed it on the tank �� not working again. Repeat process, 1 bulb works this time and it was the daylight tube so I opted to withdraw from this battle and rethink my strategy. I did a pwc on my 6 running tanks fertilized 2 and decided enough was enough I'd probably didn't close to a full day of my last 4 days cleaning tanks, another full day doing other household tasks that captain procrastinate had agreed to a long to do list.

I generally work through the day, so I use my aquarium lighting as room light at night rather than running them in an empty house through the day. After doing all that work and I noticed something I never have before. Is summer here and we get loads of these flies about 2mm long. As one of them free between the tank and the light my tank stays boiling with activity. Fly hits water, fish swarm it and then start chasing the lucky rasbora that swan away chewing like crazy. Tank went quiet after that, but I just watched and saw them hunt about 5 more before bed time. It was big fun.

The last major aquarium task on my list was to reduce the amount of duckweed that was infesting two of my tanks. I keep a little bit in these tanks which I occasionally skim off and feed to my comets. CP (captain procrastinate) had left this simple task until it became a big chore.

For the first time in a while I can look at my favourite tank without feeling guilty about creating a jungle where the fish are cramped.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:00 AM   #11056
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had last week off, so side from giving the house a much needed tidy I got on top of a lot of neglected tasks in my aquarium.

The first and most tedious of them was to do a massive trim on my community tank and hand pick green hair algae from about 150ish stems then do them individually in a strong peroxide dip. I did this in two sittings and left them cleaned seems in separate containers. The first took 2.5 hours, the next day took another 2. I didn't disturb my crypts but they got the gha algae carefully removed by hand and the worst effected leaves were trimmed off. I did a minor peroxide treatment on the tank, trimmed back all my cleaned plants to size then did a second peroxide dip before replanting. So far I've seen a few small gha strands since the replant, but the tank looks fairly clean.

The next day I did some shopping because I wanted to fill a couple more spaces. I picked up 4 punnets of hairgrass and a plant in pack from aquarium industries with 5 Red Rubin swords. I love the ease of cleaning the plant in pack gel base. The hairgrass was a pain though. I've tried hairgrass before but never taken great care with the roots and usually have a decent amount of it die. This time I carefully separated the roots and pulled apart hundreds of clumps without damaging many. I did all that 4 days ago, trimmed the hairgrass yesterday as well as the melting leaves on the swords. I'm seeing new leaves on the swords already and a few new runners from the hairgrass. I think I've gone a bit crazy on the trimming though. I didn't trim many crypts and they tower above everything else.

My betta tank also got a small lighting upgrade. I have a 1 foot dual t5 that had stopped working. I pulled it's cover off and fiddled with the ends where the tubes plug in. It worked again, I put the cover on, placed it on the tank �� not working again. Repeat process, 1 bulb works this time and it was the daylight tube so I opted to withdraw from this battle and rethink my strategy. I did a pwc on my 6 running tanks fertilized 2 and decided enough was enough I'd probably didn't close to a full day of my last 4 days cleaning tanks, another full day doing other household tasks that captain procrastinate had agreed to a long to do list.

I generally work through the day, so I use my aquarium lighting as room light at night rather than running them in an empty house through the day. After doing all that work and I noticed something I never have before. Is summer here and we get loads of these flies about 2mm long. As one of them free between the tank and the light my tank stays boiling with activity. Fly hits water, fish swarm it and then start chasing the lucky rasbora that swan away chewing like crazy. Tank went quiet after that, but I just watched and saw them hunt about 5 more before bed time. It was big fun.

The last major aquarium task on my list was to reduce the amount of duckweed that was infesting two of my tanks. I keep a little bit in these tanks which I occasionally skim off and feed to my comets. CP (captain procrastinate) had left this simple task until it became a big chore. I also managed to get both three of the t5 working again too 😁

For the first time in a while I can look at my favourite tank without feeling guilty about creating a jungle where the fish are cramped.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:41 AM   #11057
Aquarium Advice Regular

Cleaned my three 20s, and started planning for my 55!
Old 01-15-2017, 02:57 PM   #11058
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKoopa512 View Post
Nice some dragon rock. My lfs has tons of it for 1.99 a lb. An seiryu for the same price.
Oooh! I wish mine had it at that price!
Old 01-15-2017, 02:58 PM   #11059
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMaier View Post
Mine was $3.99 per pound.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:00 PM   #11060
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruutah View Post
Dude... Your profile says you're in SoCal in the middle of paintball season. Find a field near you. Probably cheaper per fill there anyway. Sunday is practice day usually for any teams that stuck together after nationals in October. So if you go early expect rapid fire. Speedballers are a "special" breed.

Ok.. Back to fish
Nearest fields are a good half-hour away. Not a problem if I had a car, but I don't, so... it gets problematic.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com