Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-15-2017, 03:02 PM   #11061
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan79 View Post
The first and most tedious of them was to do a massive trim on my community tank and hand pick green hair algae from about 150ish stems then do them individually in a strong peroxide dip.
What ratio peroxide/water do you use?

Old 01-15-2017, 04:46 PM   #11062
Aquarium Advice Regular

I went out of my way to go to a larger LFS location about a 20-30 minute drive away from my dorm location. Spent a few hours oohing and aahing at all of the stock as I went around and got the new thermometer I needed. Saw a Koi Betta that was really nice, and young (also expensive) if his inch long body + smallish fins were any indicator. It, and several other Koi Betta, were gone by the time I went to give them once last glance. So long friend I never got to know. Saw a couple of Endler's guppies I might try in Buck's current tank when I do move him over to a larger aquarium too. Got more research to do!!

I eventually did find the thermometer I needed, but I also found a small filter that could be used in a small 1-3 gallon tank (Tetra In-Tank Filter 3i Whisper). I was kind of skeptical so I did a quick search online and found some positive reviews, not just on Amazon but also on a couple forums. Some of the forum people even advised using it with a Betta because of a low current output.

I bought it and tried it out at home...can't use it in the tank Buck's currently calling home though. It worked as advertized, I could small gunk get sucked up into the filter while it was plugged in and everything. The current didn't seem too bad, though I think I would have eventually unplugged it to save for Buck's bigger home when I get it because it was a little stronger than I would have liked. The major things that caused me to save it for later were that it was almost too tall to fit into the tank Buck is in, and Buck is a freaking contortionist.

By that I mean I recognized the potential danger of Buck messing around with it so I buried the suction portion of it under the gravel of the tank to keep it away from his fins. I also blocked off every bit of space that lead behind the tube/body of the filter with either a thermometer or a decoration... Buck somehow still managed to not only get behind it within 5 minutes of plugging it in but also managed to get himself stuck in such a way he couldn't free himself. I immediately unplugged it and put the filter away in storage, since I was watching to make sure Buck didn't do something potentially dangerous to himself like this. I have seen him just spend hours weaving himself around the safe plants in his tank so I figured he would try something like that...and now he has succeeded in doing the exact same thing to the new thermometer (which was flat up against the glass) I got him. Thankfully he just ended up pushing it over so that it is on a slant away from the glass now (with him inbetween it and the glass) rather than just straight against the glass but still I feel like maybe I should have named this one Indy for his Indiana Jones like capacity for exploring his tank and causing trouble.

AnimalKrazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:28 PM   #11063
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

PWC and vacuum on the Biorb today. Tested my main tank. I hate KH/GH test kits. I neeeeddd a color chart plz...
Helped a bazillion mystery snails hatch. Cleaned up my misc tank crap spread all over the garage, office and guest room. Now I need chocolate cupcakes and whiskey.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:32 PM   #11064
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkieam View Post
Attachment 293310

Planted+ 24/7 arrived in the mail today! ☺

VERY nice!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barliman View Post
Went to Dick's Sporting Good to finally fill my paintball canisters, so I can at last set up my pressurized CO2 system, only to discover this store no longer does paintball refills...

Then I went to my favorite LFS (Nature Aquarium in Santa Monica) to spend a gift card I'd gotten for Christmas. Fellow fish geeks will understand how excited I was buying $30 of Ohko stones.

(Also got some crypt parva and root tabs for the 10g in prep for making it a planted tank, as the fry I've raised to adulthood in it are going to the LFS tomorrow. My little ones are all growed up.)
Lucky you for the new stone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan79 View Post
I had last week off, so side from giving the house a much needed tidy I got on top of a lot of neglected tasks in my aquarium...
So glad to hear I am not the only one seeing a tank and feeling guilt riden!!! Nice to hear you made so much progress!

~~~
Our stones are 4.99 and up, but nothing good all picked over the last time I went to see.

Picked up Prime a big bottle and later found I was overcharged from what the tag on the shelf said, by $2. :/

Purused the DW options and found one which was a possibility, but decided I will make a trip to a couple farther away lfs in hopes of finding the exact right thing this next week.

Looked at the background for the tank and didn't like any of them. Probably going with frosted background with a little graduated color. Last time I was at a hobby store I saw some nice colored papers for scrap books.

The colors graduated to about 3 tones, say light to dark blues and then one was medium blues to green, there was also a water type pattern. I have an idea to add the frost film then attach a plastic page protector over the colored paper to keep it from getting wet. Adding it behind the frost will give a subtle color maybe.

Hooked up the filter on the 12G Edge, added another bag of ceramic media from one of the other filters that wasn't being used and switched the intake Filter holder and tube because the original tube had plant moss and algae particle on it. I just put water back in and turned on the light for the Java Fern DW. Removed 2 small MTS which had climbed to the top of the water line when there was no water circulating.

When I got home from work, the tank looked nicely clear. I had used a gallon of water from the 46G tank with the heavily tannin tinted water. Before the 46G water change to add a little extra tannin goodness, but not too much. Didn't want to add too many Nitrates or TDS to the new set up which I THINK will be for the PRL, all but decided on PRL over the CRS.

A somewhat risky move as they are kinda expensive, but maybe will pay off when they breed and I have a tank swarming with them in a year... - hope I won't screw something up and kill them! So as long as they are still available for sale on Wednesday I will buy them! Emailing the seller tonight to check.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:33 PM   #11065
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Got a rimless 5gl for dirt cheap on Craigslist. Wana set it up as a fancy shrimp low tech tank. Never heard of this brand tank Kotubuki leglass 5. I have a spare 5w led I can use for it. I would beable to raise an lower it if it's to bright etc. Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20170115_163522_1.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	293387
Old 01-15-2017, 09:36 PM   #11066
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMaier View Post
PWC and vacuum on the Biorb today. Tested my main tank. I hate KH/GH test kits. I neeeeddd a color chart plz...
Helped a bazillion mystery snails hatch. Cleaned up my misc tank crap spread all over the garage, office and guest room. Now I need chocolate cupcakes and whiskey.
Chocolate and whiskey very nice ��
Old 01-15-2017, 09:38 PM   #11067
Aquarium Advice Freak

What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

Ordered a lid for my 75g from Dr. Foster & Smith... least expensive one around I could find.

Quote:
Now I need chocolate cupcakes and whiskey.
Jealous! Send some my way
Old 01-15-2017, 09:42 PM   #11068
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKoopa512 View Post
Got a rimless 5gl for dirt cheap on Craigslist. Wana set it up as a fancy shrimp low tech tank. Never heard of this brand tank Kotubuki leglass 5. I have a spare 5w led I can use for it. I would beable to raise an lower it if it's to bright etc. Attachment 293387
Excellent!!!

Quote:
Helped a bazillion mystery snails hatch.
How did you help the MS hatch???

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:44 PM   #11069
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
Excellent!!!

It is was thinking of taking the filtration system in the fluval spec v an sylicon it to middle of the tank with two more pieces of acrylic. Kind of like a saltwater tank with a overflow in the middle
Old 01-15-2017, 09:53 PM   #11070
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
When they are ready to hatch the egg sack turns dark and starts to fall apart. I took it down into the tank and very gently roll it through my fingers and it rains snails. They're on the from glass now. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1484535096.549068.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	262.3 KB
ID:	293388

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com