Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-29-2017, 10:01 PM   #11171
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

Biorb all cleared up after the major clean yesterday. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7359.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	294097

Maintank doing ok too. I was messing with the Finnex light and man did it freak the fish out!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7362.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	294098

Watching the baby snails and spotted my first shrimplette. On the back of the pink snail in front of the ramshorn.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7373.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	294099

And a stupid hydra!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7377.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	294100

Old 01-29-2017, 11:10 PM   #11172
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMaier View Post
What came in the mailbox? I missed something.
LOL, Amazonia substrate from Amano.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonColle View Post
Autumnsky he is a eureka red peacock cichlid
Beautiful fish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMaier View Post
Biorb all cleared up after the major clean yesterday. Attachment 294097

Maintank doing ok too. I was messing with the Finnex light and man did it freak the fish out!
Attachment 294098

Watching the baby snails and spotted my first shrimplette. On the back of the pink snail in front of the ramshorn.

Attachment 294099

And a stupid hydra!Attachment 294100
Well bummer about the Hydra but the pic of Red in the BiOrb is like a posterchild for the BiOrb tank!

Well King, no shrimp yet about 5-6 more weeks still.

Next Friday we will have a good meeting of the aquarium society, last month was cancelled due to weather. Looking excitedly to the end of the coming week. Will get chance to shop for a few things. House renos have been keeping me pretty tired and using up all my "spare" time.

New to FW fish? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ork&page=rules

FW - 72G / 12G Edge/11.4G Mr Aqua Rimless
SW - Nano 6.6G Edge - Plus a FW 46G bowfront (QT)
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:37 PM   #11173
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Making Progress

So the extra fish in the 46G who were getting adopted, finally did! The new care taker will be adding them to a 90G or a 120G. He gave me some Frogbit and some common Cherry shrimp. And THIS...

I was about to buy some from a store and I got this instead for no out of pocket $! Very excited about it, especially because There is that big one which will likely be the one I will put into the 12G with the PRL shrimp to tie on some Anubias Nana Petite to disguise the intake. The thin one is sooooo nice looking. He said it is from a different plant and it will degrade more quickly, but how pretty it is now!

So that is the good news.

The part which has me concerned is the ADA Amazonia substrate which I bought seems to be very soil like. I have read of varying reports of some being very much like granules/little balls and some being very much like mush. It makes me think that it depends on where in the pile your bag got scooped from top middle bottom. I feel like mine is somewhat from the bottom. It looks like the pics of the powder type...hmmm. I have been thinking about what to do with this since it arrived somewhat mushy. It seems moist in the bag with lots of powdery moist silty-ness. I fear if I rinse it all will disappear. Maybe email the seller and ask what's up with the texture.

Still have the Platy 10-12 fish in the 46G and will maybe take them to the mini auction on Friday.

Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules

Old 01-30-2017, 11:03 PM   #11174
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
So the extra fish in the 46G who were getting adopted, finally did! The new care taker will be adding them to a 90G or a 120G. He gave me some Frogbit and some common Cherry shrimp. And THIS...

I was about to buy some from a store and I got this instead for no out of pocket $! Very excited about it, especially because There is that big one which will likely be the one I will put into the 12G with the PRL shrimp to tie on some Anubias Nana Petite to disguise the intake. The thin one is sooooo nice looking. He said it is from a different plant and it will degrade more quickly, but how pretty it is now!

So that is the good news.

The part which has me concerned is the ADA Amazonia substrate which I bought seems to be very soil like. I have read of varying reports of some being very much like granules/little balls and some being very much like mush. It makes me think that it depends on where in the pile your bag got scooped from top middle bottom. I feel like mine is somewhat from the bottom. It looks like the pics of the powder type...hmmm. I have been thinking about what to do with this since it arrived somewhat mushy. It seems moist in the bag with lots of powdery moist silty-ness. I fear if I rinse it all will disappear. Maybe email the seller and ask what's up with the texture.

Still have the Platy 10-12 fish in the 46G and will maybe take them to the mini auction on Friday.
You should email them, dont rinse it . Pretty sure they will send u another bag, or you could at least try it's supposed to be in small pea sizes
Old 01-30-2017, 11:13 PM   #11175
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKoopa512 View Post
You should email them, dont rinse it . Pretty sure they will send u another bag, or you could at least try it's supposed to be in small pea sizes
More silty for sure. There are lots of little balls, now that it dried out since Saturday eve. I decided to open it and it smells mouldy. The balls are mush, barely touch them and roll them and they turn to dust. Would for sure rinse all away. I thought these were harder like my Up Aqua is, like little clay balls. Still hmmm.

I will email.

Community Rules

Old 02-01-2017, 02:24 AM   #11176
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Emailed and waiting for a response, said 2 business days to reply. Maybe going to go with Up Aqua or Fluval Shrimp and Plant Strattum.

Put the Cherry Shrimp in the brandy snifter bowl, which used to be planted but recently after being cleaned has just been sitting on a stool, and all but forgotton. Only the floating plants right now, had a stone which needs some Subwssertang on it and a threw in a chunk of DW. Added a glob of moss, shrimp are busy.

Can't seem to find a little, older version, Finnex Stingray light I have somewhere.

Too busy today to dig around for it. Long day tomorrow, so maybe some pwc and misc aquatics on Thursday.

Community Rules

Old 02-01-2017, 08:18 AM   #11177
Aquarium Advice Regular

I managed to finally do a water change on my tank yesterday after having been gone all weekend and unable to do it the Monday I was back. When I tested the water, the ammonia levels were about 2 or 4 ppm but that was kind of what I was expecting considering I hadn't done it in 4 days and the tank's small size. Nitrite/Nitrate levels were 0 ppm so no real problems there.

Also went to the LFS last night and managed to get there just as they were feeding the Whitetip Reef Shark they have on residence. I was a little confused what the white meat they were feeding it was, till I was informed that it was squid meat. Overall it was pretty cool.
AnimalKrazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:05 PM   #11178
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

I put a sponge pre-filter on one of my Aquaclears last week and, while it's been doing a great job (I no longer get the "rising basket effect" from a clogged internal sponge), it itself clogs up within around a week and has to be taken out for a cleaning (such as last night), lest it choke off the water flow. It's annoying enough that I'm considering removing it and looking for other options.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:09 PM   #11179
Aquarium Advice Addict

Odd. Usually I can go several weeks without messing with the prefilter. It may have to do with micron size.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:13 PM   #11180
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Went out and bought another 75 gallon tank with stand my whole living room is full of aquariums now I needed something to put my new sharks in and my angel fish

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com