Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-04-2017, 10:34 AM   #11211
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Autumnsky got a deal. Any word on the substrate sitch? That's kinda holdin up your next adventure.

Old 02-04-2017, 05:56 PM   #11212
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Picked up a dozen ember tetras today. Drip acclimating at the moment (it's been an hour or so). Then into the QT for a few weeks.

Old 02-05-2017, 04:44 AM   #11213
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Stood in disgust as I watched my fish go from just fine to stressed out quickly I'm fairly new at this but I've maintained so far I have one catfish one guppy and one Dalmatian they are surfacing often I did a fifteen percent water change after checking water level acidity is high does anyone have suggestions
Old 02-05-2017, 04:45 AM   #11214
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMaier View Post
Autumnsky got a deal. Any word on the substrate sitch? That's kinda holdin up your next adventure.
It's been the 2 days but haven't heard back yet.

Thinking about the UP Aqua sand (I think like what I already have for the Tangerine Tigers OR getting the Fluval Shrimp and Plant Strattum. Haven't decided yet.

Can't chance using my present substrate because of the possibility of a Caridina fry mixing it up with my PRL which would ruin the line. Same issue with plants. I have a guy I plan to get some from his tanks that don't have any shrimp to add to what else I have in my 72G, no shrimp for sure in there!

Spent all the money I had for substrate on the weird Amazonia stuff. So I need to wait another week to buy something new.

Honestly this has been so inconvenient of a build, I nearly bought some really nice Apistogramma's from Mike Wise. Maybe will still when the Cichlid auction rolls around in 2 weeks.

At the CAS meeting, I was told by a guy who has used this to consider capping it and THAT will not happen in my tank. I do not want to deal with the mess issues. So even if I need to stay with less demanding plants I will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
Picked up a dozen ember tetras today. Drip acclimating at the moment (it's been an hour or so). Then into the QT for a few weeks.
Very nice choice!

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 07:52 AM   #11215
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
It's been the 2 days but haven't heard back yet.

Thinking about the UP Aqua sand (I think like what I already have for the Tangerine Tigers OR getting the Fluval Shrimp and Plant Strattum. Haven't decided yet.

Can't chance using my present substrate because of the possibility of a Caridina fry mixing it up with my PRL which would ruin the line. Same issue with plants. I have a guy I plan to get some from his tanks that don't have any shrimp to add to what else I have in my 72G, no shrimp for sure in there!

Spent all the money I had for substrate on the weird Amazonia stuff. So I need to wait another week to buy something new.

Honestly this has been so inconvenient of a build, I nearly bought some really nice Apistogramma's from Mike Wise. Maybe will still when the Cichlid auction rolls around in 2 weeks.

At the CAS meeting, I was told by a guy who has used this to consider capping it and THAT will not happen in my tank. I do not want to deal with the mess issues. So even if I need to stay with less demanding plants I will!

Sucks! I'm a big online shopper and I hate it when what I saw and what I get are different.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:35 PM   #11216
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Yeah I don't shop online as much until recently and usually it is pretty good. It is the mouldy smell which is the biggest issue and even though as the substrate is drying there is less smell, the mould is still there and I wouldn't use mouldy smelling potting soil for my potted plants at home, surely no way I will use it in a confined space like a tank with High Grade $$$ shrimp. If they offer to send me a new bag that would be great only if is isn't mouldy smelling.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules

FW & SW
Old 02-05-2017, 08:15 PM   #11217
Aquarium Advice Freak

Getting ready for pwc on both my tanks tonight

Not that they need it, but sand shows all lol....looks like it's been peppered:P

Thinking about the best bedding for my swords....they're not doing well so I was thinking of potting them in dirt and putting the pots back in

Thoughts?
Old 02-05-2017, 08:23 PM   #11218
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassymomma View Post
Getting ready for pwc on both my tanks tonight

Not that they need it, but sand shows all lol....looks like it's been peppered:P

Thinking about the best bedding for my swords....they're not doing well so I was thinking of potting them in dirt and putting the pots back in

Thoughts?
Root tabs will make a difference - potted will also work. Sometimes you can get small pots at the independent plant nursery stores or pond supply stores with medium small.

The root capules acually I like are Ferkka Rosetta and Ferkka Stemma, only place I can get them is on ebay, from Thailand. They are amazing!

Community Rules

FW & SW
Old 02-05-2017, 08:26 PM   #11219
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have an aquaponics place near me, and they sell little plastic slotted pots like you sometimes buy plants in...I thought that might do the trick, so they can stretch out as they grow

I can get API or Seachem root tabs where I am
Old 02-05-2017, 08:40 PM   #11220
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The usual PWC and critter gazing.

Took some Anubias and Java Fern starts and glued them to rock. Out in the garage window to GROW.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« 8 gallon stocking? | - »