Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-05-2017, 07:42 PM   #11221
Aquarium Advice Addict

60 percent wc. Rinse media. H2o2 spot treating. Trim java moss. Pitch some s.minima.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:52 PM   #11222
Aquarium Advice Regular

Bought new nets

Old 02-05-2017, 08:56 PM   #11223
Aquarium Advice Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	1486346141331.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	294472 bought fish nets
Old 02-05-2017, 09:54 PM   #11224
Aquarium Advice Regular

I went out with my Birthday $$ and got myself a 5.5 gallon aquarium with Light/Hood included. Cost me about 30 bucks, so I didn't even spend all of the Birthday cash. Used some of the leftover money to buy myself $5 of Mopani wood, and a thermometer. Have it all set up in my dorm room at the moment. and I like the way I have the inside of the tank set up. I'll take a picture either tomorrow or Tuesday and show you all later. I'm waiting to get the heater till I can figure out if the heater I have for my 1 gallon will work for the 5 gallon or not. Already own a Tetra Whisper In-Tank Filter that I haven't set up yet. The Bio Bag that came with it is already in the water, on the Mopani wood.

Apparently the gravel I had left over from Buck's 1 gallon home was just barely enough to cover the glass bottom. I'm thinking of heading over to a PetSmart to grab a bag of National Geographic sand or something akin to that later this week to help build up the bottom of the aquarium.

I'm on a university budget so I am sticking to 'dirt' cheap stuff, unfortunately. I really like the look of some of the available fertile sands, but they cost quite a bit ($20 for a bag). If it wasn't mid-Winter where I am, I would probably cheat and just grab several pans of mud from the river that runs through the back of the campus...stupid ice and stupid permafrost ruin my plans before they can start.

Oh I forgot to mention that the river in the back of the campus has salmon that go through every fall. That, I can honestly say was the best surprise I had while in school, since I found it mid salmon run (found out on my own...apparently my brother discovered it a year before I did and never thought to tell me ).
AnimalKrazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:18 PM   #11225
Aquarium Advice Freak

Pool filter sand is cheap, and is not as apt to make your water murky as some brands. I buy mine for 11dollars at the hardware store for a 20lb bag. Two of those gave my 38gallon a good bed
Old 02-06-2017, 04:15 AM   #11226
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

90% decided to take the "spare" junk storage room and make it into a Autumsky room. Office /fish den. It is right next to the utility room which has a drain and water pipes.

Haven't really wrapped my head around that just yest except that I need to move misc boxes out, and remove yucky carpet and put in sheet vinyl so I have an easy care covering, maybe stain the concrete though. Then just a few matching heavy duty office credenzas and desk. After next week will think more about that. Will make a new build thread whenever that actually hits.

There will be a surprise fish delivery in about 1.5-2 weeks! Surprise for you, I of course know!

New to FW fish? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ork&page=rules

FW - 72G / 12G Edge/11.4G Mr Aqua Rimless
SW - Nano 6.6G Edge - Plus a FW 46G bowfront (QT)
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:37 AM   #11227
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

Sounds like heaven.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:38 AM   #11228
Aquarium Advice Regular

I did a complete waterchange due to very cloudy water and fin rot Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9844.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	294490
Old 02-07-2017, 05:48 PM   #11229
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Going to get to some tank maintenance today yesterday something came up and blew the fish tank cleaning day idea.

Ran some stocking options on aqadvisor, they seem to be conservatively set for stocking.

With some new tankmates coming soon, I need to move things around a little bit.

Thinking then of keeping the 46G bowfront and making it a cooler water tank and the 72G a warmer water tank.

So after the next QT time period changes will be...

46G / 75F will have WCMM, Green Lantern Platy, male Odessa Barbs, the 1 Opaline Gourami and big Spotted Raphael Catfish. 4 Super Red BN baby Plecos are about 3 inches now and starting to fill out. Almost full tank.

Have been wanting to do this for awhile but thought I didn't have space to keep the extra tank. With the office /fish tank room it will be perfect. If & when I find my really big bowfront, will upgrade the cool water fish to the 72G, and can get Discus if I get a 125-210G DT tank Life goal!

New to FW fish? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ork&page=rules

FW - 72G / 12G Edge/11.4G Mr Aqua Rimless
SW - Nano 6.6G Edge - Plus a FW 46G bowfront (QT)
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:25 PM   #11230
Aquarium Advice Addict

On vacation this week so extra time to mess around. Finally beat what I thought was gha. I believe now it was clado. Wc last two day in row. Pushing tds down.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com