Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-07-2017, 09:57 PM   #11231
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Not my own tank but my friend got a 25G tank, heater, stand, gravel and DW for $10! So jealous (^O^)

Old 02-08-2017, 03:29 AM   #11232
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Did pwc on the SW nano, cleaned out the prefilter, flow was reduced, then much better.

Pwc on the macroalgae tank.

Did some searching for the baby Rock Flower Anemone, by removing the giant glob of Chaetomorpha didn't see the baby RFA. BUT I did find at least 6 Dwarf Brittle Starfish, I used to have only 2. I think this means they are multiplying.

6 arms

3 arms, looks like 2 arms are missing.

Started soaking the Cholla wood. It is pretty much floating.

Searched out some DW options for three tanks I wanted to update/rescape soon.

Vac'd up a bunch of mulm from the bare bottom 46G. Snails are big poopers too. Lots of snail poop in there.

Took out 10 gallons water - added back almost 15G, had evaporated down.

Checked my Bucephlandra baby on a stone in the breeder net it had somehow filpped upside down and I turned it back up yesterday. It is so tiny, millimeters type small about 10-12 leaves on 2 parts growing on the rock, the middle section died I guess from being up side down ugh All those leaves mentioned and 2 pieces together would likely fit on the cottony end side view of a cotton swab...that tiny of leaves. I had to use a magnifying glass. To see leaves. wow!

What else I found in the bottom of the 46G DW and Plants were babies!!! Not surprising as they are live bearers, must be some male yongsters grew up, because I divided F & M when I got them, but there were maybe ~8 babies.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:36 AM   #11233
Aquarium Advice Freak

I went and caught some wild shrimp on the weekend with bait traps. I tried in two rivers and found 2 wildly different types. The first lot just looked like glass shrimp. The second pair were a rather cool because they had long skinny claws at the front end. Unfortunately they all died. I'll get more but this time I'll bring home a couple of buckets of creek water and do a really slow acclimation into tap water. I also found some aquatic plants I'd never seen before. They're still doing ok.

Aside from that I've only done water changes and placing rocks on my C. Undulata leaves to stimulate new plants to grow.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:54 AM   #11234
Aquarium Advice Freak

My dad had a starfish that ate its own legs from stress....I think it recovered though
Old 02-08-2017, 08:05 AM   #11235
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I had no idea Buce came that small!
Old 02-10-2017, 01:36 AM   #11236
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMaier View Post
I had no idea Buce came that small!
LOL, I guess I never thought about how some were small, I thought they were all really small, (maybe not that small, haha) and was surprised after searching the gazillion varieties pictured and sold by some sellers.

There should be another tiny bit of Buce plant in the tank - different variety, again, a very small leaved plant, but so small I can't even guess which clump of moss over took it. I imagine it will be found if I am really careful when searching. The other 2 were one, longer pointier brownish purple leaves, and a greenish, if I remember. Maybe I took a pic of the mini micro plants after I bought them, will look around. Only the one plant was on a stone. The other 2 loose.

I am at the point I need to get a better pwc system worked out. Soon! I want to get the process easier and faster. (doesn't everyone )

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules

FW & SW
Old 02-11-2017, 12:57 PM   #11237
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Lost out on the DW I was trying to get on an auction. First one lost was perfect for what I wanted second one was just a really great shape. Possible chance for one more I'm tracking.

Still haven't heard back from my ? over a week about my Amazonia soil, I emailed one more time asking for a replacement. If that does not get a response in a few days, will get ahold of Amazon and complain.

Shrimp in the bowl are doing great, coloring up more too.

Saw the most awesome containers at Ross some were little counter top glass cubes of differing heights and sizes with bamboo edges to hold them (maybe for little moss or plants) And a giant glass ball with a opening at the top edge like it was slanted 40 degrees, so offset not on the top, but maybe 3 gallons otherwise. Almost bought but didn't now wondering if I should have, lol. If the hole was on top it would have been mine, used to have one like that but over the years, it finally got a crack. This one was designed for a terrarium container.

Still deciding if I should go to the Cichlid Auction next weekend.

Really excited that the 2017 Aquatic Gardeners Association Convention will be in Denver this year, April 28-30. PM me if you are going to be there.

Working on the idea of the auto water change system in my 72G in my head. I think I have a idea for a better pwc. I need some fittings and quick connectors for the out flow.

Water would be ble to be emptied and the canister flushed quickly. Then a 55G Trash can on rollers with water in it treated to refill. At some point I may be able to add a connector in the utility room with a faucet. There is not a faucet for the Python to attach, but also looking at changing a bathroom sink out and adding a kitchen style faucet. Maybe in a couple months.

Community Rules

FW & SW
Old 02-11-2017, 09:02 PM   #11238
Aquarium Advice Freak

Potted a suffering sword in a vase, to bring it closer to the light.....then had to rearrange the whole tank to accommodate the new decoration lol

50% w/c on both tanks

Noticed the pleco is growing back his fin, which was injured when he decided that the motor of my aqueon quiet flow made the perfect cave

Trying to decide what to do about the baby sword with nearly no root.....can't keep it from floating back upClick image for larger version

Name:	Image1486864926.852627.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	294761
Old 02-12-2017, 03:41 AM   #11239
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassymomma View Post
Potted a suffering sword in a vase, to bring it closer to the light.....then had to rearrange the whole tank to accommodate the new decoration lol

50% w/c on both tanks

Noticed the pleco is growing back his fin, which was injured when he decided that the motor of my aqueon quiet flow made the perfect cave

Trying to decide what to do about the baby sword with nearly no root.....can't keep it from floating back upAttachment 294761
Tie a little stone to it, or some string around stone tie around the top. heck if it want to go up tie it over a twig of DW and let it grow with roots near the substrate. I used Crypts on DW and they are growing well attached, not a plant usual to attaching to DW.

Spent a bunch of time looking at DW added an offer for a piece I really wanted, waiting to hear back from the seller.

Looked at a bunch of ideas in Aquascaping, saw that I can pay a bunch of money at the Aquatic Gardeners Association Convention and learn how to nanoscape for $90. class fee, and also how to do Wabi Kusa and get an awesome aquarium to boot, $100 value for $50 class fee.

Also spent a bunch of time thinking about creating a paludarium. Looking at Kokedama and terrariums. So many options. Will probably just be thinking about this for a year or so.

Also was looking at new metal stands for tanks and previously looking at items which could be repurposed into 2 matching stands. Harder to do though when you need 2 of them to be the same. (For a low to moderate amount of $.)

As I start adding up all the interesting things I might like to do, it will more likely at this point end up being what needs to get done first.

Community Rules

FW & SW
Old 02-12-2017, 11:31 AM   #11240
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Smile

Added 4 Dwarf Pencil fish to my 46l Fluval Edge as was down to 2 Ember Tetras and 2 Amano Shrimp, after not replacing anything for a year or so(was not sure what to go for). Was going to get more Embers but saw the Dwarf Pencil fish in the LFS and had to have them! The Manager said that they don't get them in often and sell very fast. I checked on the water parameters they need and seemed to match,it being very close to Tetras. I read that they like floating plants and thought that may be a problem in a Fluval Edge but they seem to like staying under the Algae Magnet if I place it on the top, so that seems to do the job! They look great in the tank and would like to get a few more if they continue to do well and are available.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com