Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-17-2017, 08:45 PM   #11271
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Also just got a confirmation that my new substrate From Amano (AFA) was being shipped out today. It is the new Amazonia Light. (Substrate for dummies, so it ought to work out great!) Just had to add that in in case through all the commotion here I forgot to let you know what happened next.

New to FW fish? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ork&page=rules

FW - 72G / 12G Edge/11.4G Mr Aqua Rimless
SW - Nano 6.6G Edge - Plus a FW 46G bowfront (QT)
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 03:38 AM   #11272
Aquarium Advice Freak

I bought a couple more plant packs on Friday Ludwigia glandulosa and hygrophila araguaia. I put some of the hygro in my Betta tank, the rest in my community tank, I had to clear some space in the right hand side by halving the number of stems of another plant (can't remember what its called). There's absolutely no space left on the floor of the tank now for plants.

I arranged to trade in some of my endler guppies at the lfs too. I wound up giving them about 15 in exchange for a trio of bleeding heart tetras and a few more female endlers which was more value than I asked for.

I've also been doing better on my second attempt at bringing wild shrimp into my aquarium. I caught 9 last time I tried, 12 hours later they were all dead. This time round I caught another 7. Three died within a few hours of getting them home but a week later four are still looking healthy. If they last another week I'll catch a few more. If this lot had all died I'd have left them alone.

Old 02-18-2017, 02:20 PM   #11273
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan79 View Post
I bought a couple more plant packs on Friday Ludwigia glandulosa and hygrophila araguaia. I put some of the hygro in my Betta tank, the rest in my community tank, I had to clear some space in the right hand side by halving the number of stems of another plant (can't remember what its called). There's absolutely no space left on the floor of the tank now for plants.

I arranged to trade in some of my endler guppies at the lfs too. I wound up giving them about 15 in exchange for a trio of bleeding heart tetras and a few more female endlers which was more value than I asked for.

I've also been doing better on my second attempt at bringing wild shrimp into my aquarium. I caught 9 last time I tried, 12 hours later they were all dead. This time round I caught another 7. Three died within a few hours of getting them home but a week later four are still looking healthy. If they last another week I'll catch a few more. If this lot had all died I'd have left them alone.
Pics would be great, this is very interesting. Have you kept shrimp before, or do you have a thread about this topic, I'd like to see more about it.

~~~~~

Rinsed out the [edit] substrate from the Mr. Aqua - Prime water, I am feeling concern about the shrimp missing the mature substrate to pick at and all the moss and Susswassertng (I just found out it is spelled that way but known as Subwassertang). Picked out about 30 or so tiny like 1mm size MTS. Added it into the bucket of plants and moss with an air bubbler and Put the Beamworks on the acrylic top to get them some light.

Didn't go to the auction, not feeling that great an its a long day with an hour drive each way.

Guy near me has 3 adult Discus for sale. I am going to go take a look and see how much.

Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules

Old 02-18-2017, 08:55 PM   #11274
Aquarium Advice Freak

50% PWC with good gravel vac and cleaned the tank. Bought new conditioner and bloodworms.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1487469143711.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	295130
Old 02-19-2017, 12:24 AM   #11275
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Found 2 dead TT shrimp grrrr. Others are looking okay, picking at things. Pwc.

Community Rules

Old 02-19-2017, 07:34 AM   #11276
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
Pics would be great, this is very interesting. Have you kept shrimp before, or do you have a thread about this topic, I'd like to see more about it.

~~~~~

Rinsed out the [edit] substrate from the Mr. Aqua - Prime water, I am feeling concern about the shrimp missing the mature substrate to pick at and all the moss and Susswassertng (I just found out it is spelled that way but known as Subwassertang). Picked out about 30 or so tiny like 1mm size MTS. Added it into the bucket of plants and moss with an air bubbler and Put the Beamworks on the acrylic top to get them some light.

Didn't go to the auction, not feeling that great an its a long day with an hour drive each way.

Guy near me has 3 adult Discus for sale. I am going to go take a look and see how much.
I'll try and get some pics of the shrimp soon. My last attempt was in a shallow tank where I think they got too hot. This time they're in a black bucket which is deeper and holds a lower temperature. I also added some rocks from the creek I found them in which were covered in algae.

I've kept RCS for about 8 months, the population probably tripled then they all just began to die off. I kept them with my Kuhli loaches. I think they might have learned to hunt them the babies suited of first, then the adults seemed to due during moulting mostly.

I don't have a thread about it. If I have time tomorrow I'll take some pics and start a thread. I have to find a host for my pics too.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:33 AM   #11277
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sunday funday....maintenance day. Cleaned Wyatts and mine. Actually did alot trimming on mine. Finally below 200 tds. Took 2 weeks. Java moss recovering from h2o2 nicely. The new spec iii has a little power in the updated lights. Click image for larger version

Name:	20170219_112613.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	243.9 KB
ID:	295148Click image for larger version

Name:	20170219_112343.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	231.7 KB
ID:	295149
Old 02-20-2017, 01:19 PM   #11278
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yesterday was busy
Built coconut huts, picked up meds and light, and did pwc

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1487614763.162699.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	295205
Old 02-20-2017, 01:48 PM   #11279
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
Found 2 dead TT shrimp grrrr. Others are looking okay, picking at things. Pwc.

So sad. Those little orange guys are so cute.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:53 AM   #11280
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by flchamp89 View Post
Sunday funday....maintenance day. Cleaned Wyatts and mine. Actually did alot trimming on mine. Finally below 200 tds. Took 2 weeks. Java moss recovering from h2o2 nicely. The new spec iii has a little power in the updated lights. Attachment 295148Attachment 295149
Looks awesome!!! Congrats on the TDS reduction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMaier View Post
So sad. Those little orange guys are so cute.
Yes, so beautiful (when alive). It is heart wrenching. Two or 3 were kinda stuck in the container as I emptied it after changing the tank, so thinking back maybe they were the last ones because they were not feeling well.

I am adding a clump of Su[b]sswasertang, possibly one of moss to the new tank. Maybe they can nom some necessary good stuff from there.

Did pwc this am, say one possible body stuck on the rock, could have been a molt shell, but I do not see those too often. I added some magnesium sulfate to the water in hopes that would make things better. I was adding calcium and magnesium but I was also tring to back off on the additions/amounts. TT like the minerals a little higher than my water comes out of the tap.

2, guessing male, Angels in the 72 are fighting almost all the time. Trying to decide which one to take out and move to the 46G.

Didn't want a female in the DT and of course, she is one of the nice colored & most clear orange ones of the bunch. Larger male isn't as Orange as the slightly smaller male, she seems to hang out with the larger male more often, but kind of stays in between the two but out of the way when they are sparring. I think she would pick either of them.

Trying to decide - nicer male and female possibly pair up (didn't really want any babies to raise) or pick best colored male for DT. Let the other 2 pair up in the 46G OR leave 2 males in the DT and do a bunch of water changes to hopefully reduce/eliminate the female presence.

Community Rules

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com