Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-17-2017, 12:28 AM   #11411
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Removed a bunch of guppy grass from the shrimp tank. Much better view Guppy grass sitting in a bucket for now.
Also trimmed the HC carpet in the Planted tank (no pics). Still have not received the seiryu stones yet (storm delay).

Old 03-17-2017, 12:17 PM   #11412
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirbhao View Post
Went to the fish nerd place with the intent to special order a small school of pseudomugil furcatus.
Furcatas are really pretty. I've wanted to get those or threadfin rainbows, myself.

Old 03-17-2017, 03:39 PM   #11413
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barliman View Post
Furcatas are really pretty. I've wanted to get those or threadfin rainbows, myself.
I'm already loving them.

http://injaf.org/
http://www.instagram.com/thedelicion
nirbhao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:10 PM   #11414
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Water testing day. 4 tanks. I could probably do it with my eyes closed now. No big surprises but a few points of interest....
KH is running 3-4 which is a bit low. But PH and GH are fine? What to do???

New Baby Biorb 0 Ammonia and Nitrite, 20 Nitrates. Using aged plants and rock instantly cycled.

Biorb has had a 90%+ water change to remove the meds last week. But the PH has shot up to 8 or 8.2 and it usually runs about 7.2-7.4??? That's a head scratcher since the tap is usually 7.4?

Just tested it. 8.2. Never trust your tap....

Nursery is good at the moment.

But if the tap goes any higher I might have to consider adding more DI to more tanks. Not sure how the shrimp will handle a high ph?
Old 03-17-2017, 06:11 PM   #11415
Aquarium Advice Freak

Adding prime, bacterial supplement to all tanks to convert ammonia

Found out my tap is running at .50ammonia

No wonder my harlequins drop like flies after water changes

I'm down to four now..... and another looking rough

I don't think I will get more

Seriously considering retiring the 29, and using the 38......with store bought water for water changes

See what the city says
Old 03-17-2017, 08:37 PM   #11416
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Nancella Send a message via Yahoo to Nancella
I did a 25% water change and cleared out the filter pump. Then I admire the Molly fry and wondered what color they will be
10G: 2 female adult Marble Lyretail Mollies, 4 adult male Guppies, 1 Zebra Loach, 3 Whisker Shrimp and... at the moment... I have about 12 or so newborn Marble Lyretail Mollies which I plan to give up for adoption soon... (My roomate has about 20 or so in his tank)
Nancella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:36 PM   #11417
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have some ongoing treatments for white spot. Unfortunately i've had three harlequin rasboras die. One bleeding heart tetra looks like it may not survive. It's the only one with visible spots now, but they showed up after the rest seemed to clear up. It's tail looks to be losing some small chunks by the week and he's getting bullied quite badly, so i may euthenase it and hope the issue is mostly over. It's a bit of a conundrum really. I'd empty the tank, but i know that a lot of my plants would just die off, by leaving water in the tank and just running it with ferts i'd still have ick issues because i've got too many snails to entirely remove from the tank, i assume the parasite will just use them as a host in the absence of fish. I guess i'll just keep treating as i have been and hope the issue is resolved soon. It's a bit of a downer.

I have been running an ongoing experiment with some wild caught shrimp. The initial batch of shrimp i caught died when i started adding treated tap water, so I've been doing water changes and top ups with water i gather from the river where i caught them. I only have 4 shrimp in the second lot i caught (i killed around 10 in my first attempt so i wanted to go small scale this time round) but they're thriving. I initially kept them in a black bucket and they became a bit blueish in colour, when i set them up in their own tank they cleared right back up. I'll add a black background this week and hope they decide to become a little darker again. I prefer them to be blue than clear. The little guys have become accustomed to me now, the largest of the four comes to the front of the tank when i pick up the food container now so they're seemingly not too stressed. I thought one had died this morning but upon inspection someone had moulted and it was just an empty shell that i was seeing.

All my other tanks are going well. I have 7 running right now. I want to close up three smaller tanks, upgrade my community to a larger tank and rehome my two Comets and the fantail that somebody asked me to look after three years ago before moving away and leaving me to care for. I also have a BN pleco in it's own tank that i want to shut down. My issue is that i've tried to rehome the fish but the people have inappropriate tanks to house them. I'm not overly sentimental about my fish, but i still don't want to send them to a worse home than i'm giving them because i like other fish better. The Goldfish are the main issue for me. I'm probably more about the plants than fish and any plant i put in with goldfish just become salad.

Among my other side projects, i have been gathering every interesting bit of driftwood i've come across whenever i walk somewhere for about two years, some of them i haven't had the room to soak till recently. I finally have a spare tank thats big enough to get the process started so i have this tank full of driftwood right now with nothing else. I had a plumber come to fix a leaking tap this week. I left them alone with the tap for five minutes in the laundry where the new (used) tank was being leak tested. I return and see them inspecting the tank very closely, and they asked in a puzzled manner what i have in the tank. I told them it was just driftwood soaking, they said pity it's a good sized tank, it should have fish in it. This sparked a conversation about their fish, and allowed me to show off my tanks to another hobbyist. I've struggled for the three or so years i've had planted tanks in an effort to get a groundcover plant to establish. First thing they complimented in my community tank was the healthy hairgrass carpet that i got to take about 2-3 months ago. I imagine that i know what actors feel like when they win an oscar now haha. For some reason it's an added kick when a fellow hobbyist admires your tanks. We don't have an aquarium club or anything where i live but i think it would be nice to have. Maybe i should try getting one started. I don't really want to commit a lot of time to it though.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:07 PM   #11418
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Spent nearly an hour at a far away, not so local lfs after I had to be in that place for work meeting.

Fun assortment of things both SW and FW. They have a 2200G SW aquarium and it has some gigantic fish with 2 different kinds of sharks (2 in tank).

The plants were not any I wanted considering the auction is coming in 2 weeks. I bought 3 Seriyu stones so now I have the 5 stones which would be recommended for the Iwagumi (yes there can be more or less than 5).

I am considering getting a cardboard box like vegetable cans come in from the grocery store and filling it with some play sand to work on mock ups for the tank layout.

Liked a few Mopani wood pieces they had but didn't need any thick pieces like that for the Iwagumi inspired scape. Their Spiderwoods were too much $$.

Still considering some different ideas for the SW tank. I didn't like their price for Live Rock and they had huge pieces and I have a 12G tank already with a very large rock in there.

Have seen some nice light fixture builds for DIY lighting. Maybe a couple 38 PAR bulbs set up with a stylish piece of metal to hang down from and an adjustable cord for getting the right height/light penetration. You know in my spare time. ( )

But I think I can get a very good result with those lights, and a reasonable price.

I have never been one to overlight a tank so I could grow a field of algae and then try to figure out how to get rid of it. (I end up with enough issues to deal with!)

Obviously the right amount of light is needed for different kinds of coral to grow well and be beautiful. So far I have been underlighted lately, and before my other SW tank had barely enough to grow but not enough to flourish and get the rich colors.

Back to FW.

I would like to move some more fish around. The Glass Catfish seem healthy and happy no signs of illness. Maybe move them this week to be with their friends in the 72G. Move the Trio - Mexican Rio Otapa Swordtails, I think they need a new home.

Move the Odessa Barbs or take them to auction.

Maybe the GlowLight Tetras to the smaller tank. There are too many kinds of the same shape fish in the 72G.

Feel like the rethinking of the stocking plan for the 72G is coming together. I love lots of fish but they do not necessarily look pleasant skitter scattering in every direction.

Looking for a more cohesive, peaceful shoaling effect.

Anyhow bought fish food kinds I was running low on.

Need to think about this a little more...going to go do some more planning /stocking scenarios. Ugh!

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:19 PM   #11419
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mockups FTW!

ииииии

I spent about two hours this morning trimming and repositioning plants. I got a ball of just....moss....a couple of months ago. One of the types of moss is doing really well, but pieces of it were taking hold where I didn't want moss. It's like spiky... It looks like tiny, green barbed wire.

We're trying to sort out a female betta who's too cool for the community out of earshot of the six year-old. The spouse says, "We already have three tanks!"

But one of them is the quarantine, and hopefully, once we add the new fish to the community, we can take it down for a long time. He's not buying it. There's a vindictive part of me that thinks that, if that 10 gallon is going to count as an active tank, we may as well treat it like one. Lay down some substrate and move the silk flowers. Bam. Betta tank.

http://injaf.org/
http://www.instagram.com/thedelicion
nirbhao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:20 PM   #11420
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Hahaha, Alan, 2 novels in a row, your post and mine!

I was told Ich will not use snails as a host.

Congrats on the shrimp doing well, they will like to coordinate their color with their surroundings.

Maybe you and another hobbyist can commit to host every other month and it will be a light hearted meet up to talk and swap stories, pics, fish and plants. Like at a park or community center room.

Let's see a pic of the tank with the DHG carpet!!!

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com