Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-19-2017, 03:36 PM   #11451
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Bored?! (Says the lady with 5 tanks)

Small SW Nano to get the excitement back into your life and lose sleep over.

Then you will appreciate the "bored".

Old 03-19-2017, 03:40 PM   #11452
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ya im been leaning that way for 2 weeks. Been brushing up some been a decade since I had sw. Ya I think here soon youll see some rock zoas and ricordea

Old 03-19-2017, 03:45 PM   #11453
Aquarium Advice Newbie

20% water change picked a shed load of algae off my rocks and repositioned a few of my corals, happy with the outcomeClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3543.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	253.5 KB
ID:	296476
Old 03-19-2017, 03:46 PM   #11454
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Can anyone help with an Id on my coral to the right of my clownfish?
Old 03-19-2017, 04:08 PM   #11455
Aquarium Advice Addict

Post in sw section. Many here that can help. I cant tell ya. Kinda looks like a hammer.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:13 PM   #11456
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Will do Champ
Old 03-19-2017, 06:57 PM   #11457
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parksy77 View Post
20% water change picked a shed load of algae off my rocks and repositioned a few of my corals, happy with the outcomeAttachment 296476
Maybe an acro can i get a close of pic of possible
Old 03-19-2017, 07:01 PM   #11458
Aquarium Advice Newbie

It inflates during the dayClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3544.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	296491
Old 03-19-2017, 09:54 PM   #11459
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by flchamp89 View Post
Post in sw section. Many here that can help. I cant tell ya. Kinda looks like a hammer.
If it doesn't seem like a Hammer, the members in SW will probably know in an instant.

~~~

Sometimes I wonder what was I thinking... (leaving that a bit open ended because it could apply to so many things.)

One thing is that my 72G tested at

maybe .10 ammonia,
0 NitrIte
30-35 Nitrate
pH 6.7
KH 1ish
GH 38 yes, I put that in there correctly. Also got 40 dGH My test for GH is expired but after checking the tap, and the other tanks and comparing, I think it is likely close. Need to get a new one.

Spent an hour testing everything.

Yesterday I estimated the Magnesium that I put into the tank, using a different container than I normally do, a larger container. Too much Magnesium. Wider diameter cup, deeper cup.

Which got me thinking, I had been estimating /dosing these things from test results from a couple years back. So thought I would retest and make sure I would get it right.

The tap GH is around 7
Tap KH is 1

Due to the high GH, I did a ~45G water change, another flush water through the canister to empty but 9 really full 5G buckets of water back in.

Added a dose of calcium before the pwc because it is dangerously low for a crash.

After the pwc

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
pH was a little cray at 7.6 Thankfully I added the buckets over an hour and I do not think that the fish have had any issues.
GH 17 instead of 38-40
kH was 2

Possibly will add another half dose of Calcium and maybe will get to 3.

On the GH and KH I did many tests over and over to make sure I hadn't done anything wrong. Sick of testing!!!

Also tested other tanks and found things in order, the 46G is due for the water change and was at 30+ Nitrates. That will come down with the clean.

The SW cycling 12G Nano was
0 Ammonia
Maximun on the chart NitrItes (no animals in the tank)
NitrAtes were around 60-80
pH 8.2

That cycle is looking great. Maybe will add the heater in there I forgot about it.

Oh here is the pic of the BN Albino Ancistrus guarding the eggs. Tried cropping it to get a good shot, but that is best I could get, he was getting antsy with me shining the flashlight in there a few times trying to get a decent pic.
The cave is around 7-8" long partially buried in the substrate. The Pleco is 4+ inches long maybe 5+.

Blasted Swordtail! Again!!! He's chasing around the other Angel now like a shark - on the hunt for a 5x bigger prey than him!

He needs to be in with some semi agressive fish that are meaner than he is. I think he needs to go to the auction and find a new home.

New to FW fish? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ork&page=rules

FW - 72G / 12G Edge/11.4G Mr Aqua Rimless
SW - Nano 6.6G Edge - Plus a FW 46G bowfront (QT)
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:51 PM   #11460
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

Treated the 10g with erythromycin for blue-green algae. No fish in the tank, so I don't have to worry about nuking the cycle. I've also decided to break the tank down and restart it: I had originally set it up as a hasty grow out tank for platys, but they grow fine in the 20-long, so I want to reset this one as a low tech planted tank. Maybe with some sparking gouramis.

Speaking of platys, I harvested 10 young-adults and full adults and took them to my LFS. There were way too many in the tank, and I think the neons were getting stressed. I think I'm going to look for another store to take them too in the future, though: mine only accepts donations -- no cash or store credit. Given the work it takes me to raise these little guys, I think I should get something.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com