Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-04-2017, 03:31 AM   #11931
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Actually got the SW 2 Pom Pom Crabs (tiny - both with 2 anemones) and 2 young (a M & F) Anemone Shrimp to go along wth the other 4.

As thought, no Rock Flower Anemones, though they had a bunch of new mini Carpet and a giant Carpet anemone.

Planning to order again at both stores, the same far away one and maybe the closer one can actually get something in. Not happened in nearly 2 years so I wouldnt be too hopeful.

The one Pom Crab was very defensive, made himself into a ball with the Anemones facing up, and the other very chill. They are so very small. Like between a pinkie nail and a top of the pink pencil eraser, not the add on one but the tiny pink cylinder part at the top of a new pencil.

They are they same variety as my last one, with the fine lines and features and a little brighter colors/contrast of pinkish and purpleish, which I like more than the other one which seems to have maroon purple lines more than the pink color.

They are not to be seen in the tank so far, since they are so small and so many places for such a tiny creature to hide. I will try to feed 2x per day and do 2 pwc or 3 per week to kinda help them get enough nutrients for growing. For a couple weeks at least so they can get settled in and find good feeding spots.

Watched the snails in the 6.6G Edge and took some pics of the fish and snails. Pwc for the shrimp bowls. Added evap water to all the tanks.

Never heard back from the fish tank person from CL. So might need to order the transformer for the Spec V. Maybe camping in the mountains, no internet service?!?!

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:52 PM   #11932
Aquarium Advice Regular

I do did three waterchanges today.

BettaPonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:00 PM   #11933
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

Finally -FINALLY!!- set up pressurized CO2 for my 20-long. After waiting months, Dick's Sporting Good finally opened a store near me that would refill paintball tanks. After all that waiting, the actual set up went pretty quickly:

The ingredients:

New toys are always fun.

Here's the unit set up:

Everything including the drop checker and bubble counter are from GLA, except for the bottle and the diffuser. The bottle was from Amazon and the diffuser was off-the-shelf at my LFS. The construction on the GLA regulator is really solid!

Finally, a bad shot of the diffuser in action:

Beyond way too many platys (there are more) and that green spot algae on the plants, you can see the diffuser bubbling away. I have the counter set for 1 bubble every 1-2 seconds, which gives a nice, slow stream. I'll adjust as needed in the coming days. Fingers crossed this helps the plants beat back the algae.

Oh, and the fish enjoy chasing the bubbles, thinking it's food.

Speaking of adjusting, I wrote GLA this evening with some questions and had a reply within the hour -- on a holiday. That's good service. Anyway, given the diffuser I have, he told me I have my output pressure too high, hence the adjustments to be made tomorrow after I get home from work. (The gas had already shut off for the night.)

Guess I'm high tech, now.

On another front, I started water testing the spare 10g to hold platys again as a grow-out tank for my herd. I also decided to calibrate the Eheim Jager heater I had bought for it. The darned thing is roughly three degree out of whack: I set it to 79, I get 82. I can expect a little variance, but 3 degrees is a lot.

A shame I can't take it back to Petsmart, but I've had it too long.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:55 PM   #11934
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barliman View Post
Finally -FINALLY!!- set up pressurized CO2 for my 20-long. After waiting months, Dick's Sporting Good finally opened a store near me that would refill paintball tanks. After all that waiting, the actual set up went pretty quickly:

The ingredients:

New toys are always fun.

Here's the unit set up:

Everything including the drop checker and bubble counter are from GLA, except for the bottle and the diffuser. The bottle was from Amazon and the diffuser was off-the-shelf at my LFS. The construction on the GLA regulator is really solid!

Finally, a bad shot of the diffuser in action:

Beyond way too many platys (there are more) and that green spot algae on the plants, you can see the diffuser bubbling away. I have the counter set for 1 bubble every 1-2 seconds, which gives a nice, slow stream. I'll adjust as needed in the coming days. Fingers crossed this helps the plants beat back the algae.

Oh, and the fish enjoy chasing the bubbles, thinking it's food.

Speaking of adjusting, I wrote GLA this evening with some questions and had a reply within the hour -- on a holiday. That's good service. Anyway, given the diffuser I have, he told me I have my output pressure too high, hence the adjustments to be made tomorrow after I get home from work. (The gas had already shut off for the night.)

Guess I'm high tech, now.

On another front, I started water testing the spare 10g to hold platys again as a grow-out tank for my herd. I also decided to calibrate the Eheim Jager heater I had bought for it. The darned thing is roughly three degree out of whack: I set it to 79, I get 82. I can expect a little variance, but 3 degrees is a lot.

A shame I can't take it back to Petsmart, but I've had it too long.

Welcome to the dark side of the planted tank world! You won't regret it.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:50 AM   #11935
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirbhao View Post
Attachment 300853

I'm not going to get over that zero nitrites sky blue.

I'm so jealous!!! In my old 10 gallon it was fine. Now that he's in a 55 the levels always hover just above.... maybe the bacteria needs more time, but I moved his entire filter and all his substrate and plants!

By the way, these are all the same, just diff lighting

Click image for larger version

Name:	17522523_10154802608631313_164729553_o.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	301141

Name:	19749343_10154802608561313_99544698_o.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	301142

Name:	19650031_10154802608541313_1667796629_o.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	301143
Old 07-05-2017, 02:57 AM   #11936
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollipops View Post
I'm so jealous!!! In my old 10 gallon it was fine. Now that he's in a 55 the levels always hover just above.... maybe the bacteria needs more time, but I moved his entire filter and all his substrate and plants!

By the way, these are all the same, just diff lighting

Attachment 301141

Attachment 301142

Attachment 301143
In all the lighting, the NitrIte is lavender. Do a couple back to back pwc, or do a large one if you have been faithfully doing 20% or more pwc every week. (If not then do back to back 20-30%.

Nitrite will damage the internal organs of the fish and you might lose the fish weeks later. When the water parameters are fine.

~~~

Almost nothing done - long days for today and next couple days. Fed and checked the tanks. Fed beef heart.

Last night fed the new SW fish an algae sheet chunk. The clip fell off yet again over night. Fed the SW Dwarf Brittle Stars today in the 12G.

I keep seeing one Blue Velvet Shrimp lazy at the top of the bowl. Wondering if adding a little bubbler will make it happier. It seems plenty active after a pwc or just blowing bubbles into the container. The other 2 seem alright and normally active along with the 3 RH snails. Thinking of removing one more of the RH.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:34 AM   #11937
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Finally -FINALLY!!- set up pressurized CO2 for my 20-long. After waiting months, Dick's Sporting Good finally opened a store near me that would refill paintball tanks...

Cool. Expect better plant growth.
I go to the same place for refills and average 3-4 trips per year ($15-20 total). Thinking about getting a second CO2 tank and keeping it around as a backup.
You will want to secure the tank/reg setup so that it does not tip over. You could use a heavy pail, low umbrella holder, or pipe fastener. I screwed a U-shaped metal bracket to the tank cabinet. I wrapped the bracket in black electrical tape so that it would not scratch the CO2 tank.
There should be a hydro test date at the top of the CO2 tank or stamped onto the body. Your CO2 tank should be certified/fine 5 years FROM that date. Not every employee at the place you listed might understand this and mistake it for the expiration date (got into an argument a few times over this during refills).
Old 07-05-2017, 10:56 PM   #11938
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
Cool. Expect better plant growth.
I'm hoping so.

Quote:
I go to the same place for refills and average 3-4 trips per year ($15-20 total). Thinking about getting a second CO2 tank and keeping it around as a backup.
I bought two and had them filled so I have one ready to go when the other runs out.

Quote:
You will want to secure the tank/reg setup so that it does not tip over. You could use a heavy pail, low umbrella holder, or pipe fastener. I screwed a U-shaped metal bracket to the tank cabinet. I wrapped the bracket in black electrical tape so that it would not scratch the CO2 tank.
Thanks for the tips. Living in earthquake country, I've been trying to think of ways to secure it. Can they rest on their side?

I've run into a bit of a problem (bubble rate keeps declining) that I've opened another thread about.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:00 PM   #11939
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
...Thanks for the tips. Living in earthquake country, I've been trying to think of ways to secure it. Can they rest on their side?

I've run into a bit of a problem (bubble rate keeps declining) that I've opened another thread about.
Nope, co2 tank must be upright.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:02 PM   #11940
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

Quote:
Nope, co2 tank must be upright.
Got it.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com