Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-17-2017, 02:25 AM   #12151
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
Ordered some fish food. Trying out Ken's Premium Color Max Flakes (lots of positive Amazon reviews). A half pound of flakes is a lot of food: Banana and quarter for scale.
Tried it out with my nano fish and the mosquito fish outside. Acceptance was okay to meh. Some spat it out and ate them again. Their normal food (which I still plenty of) is NLS Premium Flakes. Kind of surprising for the mosquito fish as I only feed them once a week at best. They need to fatten up before winter. Going to give it a few more tries.
This must be why I always see a couple guys at out CAS auctions selling little platic tubs of this flake food, Earthworm, and then the red stuff and the green stuff, and then the mixed too. HUGE flakes of Kens stuff. That looks like soooo much food! WOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMaier View Post
That is an unusual pattern and green stripes?

~~~~~~~
Worked on setting up a battery back up for some stuff for the house. This got me asking the other half about running the fish tanks and he assured me we could start looking asap for another back up for the tanks, although he thought that the one we have would accomodate the tanks I plan to have in the future (and now for that matter).

I like the auto turn on option and will be working toward getting this set up in the coming months.

NOW if I could JUST get the filters to restart.

Today was the SW 6.6G that didn't restart and noticed after about an hour and a half the 12G next to it was rolling perfectly. If it was conected to a battery back up, it wouldn't suffer from a stop in the first place and consequently not end up with a non-restart.

So if it doesn't ever stop - no problems, hahaha.

Doing some more planning for how and what configurations for the upcoming room and tank changes.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 03:01 AM   #12152
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Update on the new food: more meh than yum. Lots of pickiness; I guess they got used to the NLS Premium Flakes. Going to continue give them both and see if they take to it. Kind of wondering if the earthworm, bbs, or other flavors would be more appealing.

Old 09-17-2017, 03:08 AM   #12153
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
This must be why I always see a couple guys at out CAS auctions selling little platic tubs of this flake food, Earthworm, and then the red stuff and the green stuff, and then the mixed too. HUGE flakes of Kens stuff. That looks like soooo much food! WOW!
It is a lot. Wonder if their selling it because of the volume or because their fish won't eat it.
Quote:
My RH show the same chalky markings on their shell. Perhaps a mineral deficiency?
Old 09-17-2017, 03:18 AM   #12154
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Usually I do not use flakes. The earthworm sounded interesting.

Irritating filter wouldn't restart again when someone in the house was messing around with the cords idnk for sure but for sure it didn't restart on the same aforementioned tank, looks like cleanout for tomorrow and likely just order a new one or 2.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules

FW & SW
Old 09-17-2017, 03:42 AM   #12155
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Usually I do not use flakes. The earthworm sounded interesting.

Irritating filter wouldn't restart again when someone in the house was messing around with the cords idnk for sure but for sure it didn't restart on the same aforementioned tank, looks like cleanout for tomorrow and likely just order a new one or 2.

What do you feed your nano fish?
I used to get that with my HOBs but since I've added foam prefilters (for the shrimp) it does not happen anymore.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:33 AM   #12156
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:

~~~~~~~.

This was a lot of camera oddness. When I looked at the snail it was more of a grey blue cast. No green. But the swirling was awesome.

Quote:

My RH show the same chalky markings on their shell. Perhaps a mineral deficiency?

I'm not sure? Some of the ones in this tank have golden yellow tinted shells that are smooth and shiny and some are a white and smooth and shiny and some have a chalky finish. They're all in the same tank and eating the same food. I wonder if its genetic?
Old 09-17-2017, 10:32 AM   #12157
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Decided this weekend I would dedicate to fixing up my tank. Or at least improving the quality of life for my fishes. I checked my parameters again and saw my tank was doing something at least with regards to cycling. Drove around to 5 different pet stores looking for maybe a fish or two or some plants. I guess shipments haven't come in this week because everyone was bare.

Anyways, I did manage to score some skunk cories aka the spazzyfish that keeps my kitten entertained. I did an typical newbie thing and bought 2 plants from the P store that should not be named. (Read: Didn't do the research until I got home and said "Aquatic Combo" is a typical houseplant and NOT an aquatic plant.) Debating if I should keep it and plant the stinkers in a suction cup planter and have the leaves hang out of the tank, stick them in my aerogarden, or go and return them. Kinda annoyed but I do like them as houseplants.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:04 AM   #12158
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
What do you feed your nano fish?
I used to get that with my HOBs but since I've added foam prefilters (for the shrimp) it does not happen anymore.
I use Edge prefilter sponges on almost every HOB. I don't happen to have one on the nano fish tank atm, because they were all dirty and I had wanted the tank to clear up and just never got back to adding it. Had got some of the bulk prefilter sponges from a friend who got them from ebay and shared them, they weren't up to the same longevity in terms of holding the shape and would cave in months before the edge ones would.

Those nano fish get a little of everything I may have 20 kinds of food. The main food is Hikari partially crushed with my fingers any foods which aren't very small. Micro Bites is the usual staple, but there is freeze dried Brine shrimp and (am allergic to blood worms and blackworms/tubifex). Frozen BBS, BS (and Live), Spirulina loaded BS, Mysis & Krill (cut up) and beefheart shaved off.

Have fed oyster feast. Occassional micro pearls. Omega reef green plastic bottle, Omega one mini fish pellets marine and Veggie Mini, Hikari Marine S. New life mini marine and something else with garlic.

Misc. foods made for shrimp.

Hikari Micro Bites once a day and usually something else in the evening.

Usually get frozen 1 time per week sometimes 2 / usually 1-3 kinds of frozen each time just depends on what I have.

LOL, you asked!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by missbarbie View Post
Anyways, I did manage to score some skunk cories aka the spazzyfish that keeps my kitten entertained. I did an typical newbie thing and bought 2 plants from the P store that should not be named. (Read: Didn't do the research until I got home and said "Aquatic Combo" is a typical houseplant and NOT an aquatic plant.) Debating if I should keep it and plant the stinkers in a suction cup planter and have the leaves hang out of the tank, stick them in my aerogarden, or go and return them. Kinda annoyed but I do like them as houseplants.
Yeah, join the club, happens alot!!! I had tried the Bamboo because they had it in their tanks (nope)!!! I understand too, doing the research first is usually a better end result.
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Cleaned out the cabinets of the fish tank stands and sorted organized and wiped off the stands and tanks including behind them.

Reorganized some wires, cords, plugs and air tubing. Put away a bunch which were disconnected but still in the jumble.

Working towards the new streamlined living room by cleaning and prepping the tank areas.

Bought some Hikari Sinking wafers, a new basic hydrometer/thermometer combo to double check my other one, and a new Edge prefilter sponge for the PRL tank.

Need to do something more with the 46G too much duckweed still needs to be cleaned out and it needs to get vac'd.

Will be going to get SW tomorrow, cleaned out one of the 5G totes and rinsed a couple more and am sanitizing pwc buckets and nets in bleach water over night.

Community Rules

FW & SW
Old 09-21-2017, 02:50 AM   #12159
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Did 8G pwc on the 29G, had a dead Loach. Will do another clean out tomorrow.

Changed about 1/3rd in the 6.6G SW nano and the same in the macroalgae 6.6G Topped of RO water in the 12GSW.

Changed about 1.5G on the 12G Edge tank and fed the PRL shrimp.

Topped off water in the Turtle bowl the 5G Betta and the 72G FW and the 6.6G FW Edge nano fish tank and planted bowl.

Community Rules

FW & SW
Old 09-21-2017, 10:06 PM   #12160
Aquarium Advice Regular

What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

My angelfish have laid eggs finally....! But on the filter .
Is there anyway I can remove the eggs safely without disturbing them? If I leave there, they probably won't survive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1895.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	303920  

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com