Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-23-2012, 09:22 AM   #1231
Aquarium Advice Addict

Today's Tank Work

Hello AA...

Today, I'll add another plant to my tanks: Nephthytis. Normally, this isn't unusual, but as some know, in an effort to keep nearly self-sustaining tanks, I emerse the roots of some land plants in the tank water to keep the water free of nitrogen. Nitrogen is the waste the fish produce.

Anyway, the plants have worked extremely well. Ammonia and nitrite at "0" and nitrates at 10-20 ppm. Just a small, weekly water change of a couple of gallons per tank. An hour or two work for 5 larger tanks, to service the filtration that's still needed.

Have learned a good lesson: If I keep my hands out of the natural process of things in nature, they work much better.

Just sitting back and enjoying watching the plants and fish take care of each other.

B

Old 09-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #1232
Aquarium Advice Freak

pc deb... sorry about your losses. I am just glad your heater didn't burn your house down.

50% pwc on 29 Doing the 150 later.

Ferts for the plants More plants coming from hcourts this week

New baby clown pleco, panda cory, and two julii cories in 150, still shy and hiding in the rocks.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #1233
Aquarium Advice Addict

Spending all morning working on the new tanks for the new builds. A 6ft 150g Mixed African and a 5ft 150g Saltwater
Old 09-23-2012, 05:33 PM   #1234
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My hubby let me have my bday present early (2 weeks early) a brand new 29 gallon tank! I moved everyone over, and I sat down. So, I upgraded the 10 gallon Occupants to a 20 high, the 20 high occupants to the 29. I moved everything and didn't make alot of mess. my hubby then tells me the sand of 20 looks better in the 29 and vice versa. Guess what I'll be doing next weekend.
Oceangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #1235
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Gonna do after change as soon as I get off the site and get motivated.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:01 PM   #1236
Aquarium Advice Addict

Today I test my 55g water parameters and did a 25% water change. I am still trying to get a foundation for slate caves for my 40g soon to be African Cichlid tank...any suggestions please pm me
Old 09-23-2012, 10:49 PM   #1237
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
I did my weekly water change on my 56 gallon tank, and next up is my 5 gallon, then my 30 gallon saltwater puffer tank. Fed everyone some bloodworms and gave the plecos and snails in my 56 some cucumber. Snatched some ghost shrimp out of the 56 to give to my puffers, which they enjoyed. I need to make a trip to my LFS soon to get some more for them.

Edit: Everything is done. I'm so happy I got a water changer. I could take using buckets for a 20 and a 30, but for a tall 56, no way.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:05 AM   #1238
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I had a bunch of decorations from my cichlid tank setup that needed to be cleaned, so i finally did that today. put one of those decorations in the angelfish tank today and a few more fake plants. I also added a 10,000k bulb in it since the tank is so tall to give it more light.

guppies are fine, but since the endler males survived I need to put some more females in there for them. they are some "hungry" guys
Old 09-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #1239
Aquarium Advice Addict

Moving fry around to another tank and water changes.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #1240
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tested the water after 30% water change. Added 10ml trace, 5ml iron 10ml potassium. Going to scrape for algae. The right sight has a patch and there's a few streaks on the front glass. I believe there were leftovers from the last cleaning. At least that's what the 1/8th inch wide streaks are telling me. Will clean front glass with windex.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com