Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #1261
Aquarium Advice Addict

Moving to Larger Tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceangirl View Post
My hubby let me have my bday present early (2 weeks early) a brand new 29 gallon tank! I moved everyone over, and I sat down. So, I upgraded the 10 gallon Occupants to a 20 high, the 20 high occupants to the 29. I moved everything and didn't make alot of mess. my hubby then tells me the sand of 20 looks better in the 29 and vice versa. Guess what I'll be doing next weekend.
Hello Ocean...

Good for you. Larger tanks are much easier to maintain. The more water you have, the more "wiggle" room for accidents in tank management, which happen to even the best water keeper.

I went to 55 G tanks and they're so easy to keep. I just change half the water in them weekly. Now, I don't have to test the water or have a larger than normal filter or filters. By flushing a lot of pure, treated tap water through the tank, you guarantee stable water conditions for the fish and plants.

B

Old 09-27-2012, 04:19 PM   #1262
Aquarium Advice Addict

Using Land and Aquatic Plants in my Tank

AA...

Emersed several "Nephthytis" plants into my 55 G tanks, along with the Aglaonema, Pothos and "Queen Marble" Philodendron. With the roots under the tank water and the leaves above to pick up the "ambient" light and CO2, the tank is balanced between fish and plants. The "Ag" plants have multiple white blossoms, many more than I've seen on potted plants. The nitrogens produced by the fish are the best natural ferts I've ever used. The Flora Pride liquid from Tetra is very good too as a supplement.

The plants continue to purify the water and take in the wastes faster than the bacteria in the back up filtration. So, the nitrates are low. I guess it's not surprising the plants do a more thorough job of cleaning the water than I did when I was doing the large, weekly water changes. They've been on the job much longer.

B

Old 09-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #1263
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I just acquired a 46 gallon bow front with stand for $50!! Where in the world am I gonna put it? lol
Old 09-27-2012, 05:26 PM   #1264
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdebb
I just acquired a 46 gallon bow front with stand for $50!! Where in the world am I gonna put it? lol
SCORE! That's the same deal I got but mine come with filter and a few other things too. Couldn't pass on the deal huh?
Old 09-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #1265
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronjohn20

SCORE! That's the same deal I got but mine come with filter and a few other things too. Couldn't pass on the deal huh?
I was passing by and since i am currently on the clock....I made a quick U-turn, paid for it and will have it picked up later. Doesn't have a lid but its still an incredible deal. This obsession is crazy lol
Old 09-27-2012, 06:48 PM   #1266
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdebb

I was passing by and since i am currently on the clock....I made a quick U-turn, paid for it and will have it picked up later. Doesn't have a lid but its still an incredible deal. This obsession is crazy lol
Versa tops has a nice all glass lid for them if I am not miistaken. That's what's on mine. Did you get the oak trim or black trim?
Old 09-27-2012, 07:20 PM   #1267
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wink

I painted my 55g background blue, finished making last 2 caves for my 40b, did a complete water change on 40b, 60% partial water change on 55g due to high nitrites (still cycling), and stirred up 40b and 55g sand subtrate so it appears hilly instead of smooth and flat......
Old 09-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #1268
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdebb View Post
Wow...where? I need one for my room and one for my grandchild room
Old 09-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #1269
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdebb View Post
In the mail to me? lol

Hub has already "named" my collection of tanks "The Northfork Aquatic Center" ... I tell him it's nothing compared to you guys' collections

Got plants yesterday from hcourts, and are now planted in 150 FW. Moved around some rocks.

Did routine PWC Sunday.

Fed the fish their various foods.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #1270
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Today I changed the water in my fish tank again.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com