Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2018, 06:21 PM   #12701
Aquarium Advice Addict

Decided to keep the 30g setup but rehomed the surviving adf and all guppies but two or three fry I couldn't catch. Kept the bn and put the dwarf puffer in the 30g. Will trying running a lightly stocked tank and see how I feel from there.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:47 PM   #12702
Aquarium Advice Regular

Fed my wish, watched my fish and obsessed about my reclusive Bristle nose Pleco.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:38 PM   #12703
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

New tank underway

Finally got the new 20-long in operation: cycle done (blessed be Dr. Tim's), first batch of platys transferred. They're currently exploring their new home, not sure something isn't about to eat them. The goal is to gradually move all the platys to this tank, take the adults to a LFS , grow out the juveniles and then take them, and then get out of livebearer ranching.

The water was very different between the two tanks, so I drip acclimated them for about 90 minutes. We'll see how well they do.

Here are a couple of photos of the process:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New tank and dripline.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	309656   Click image for larger version

Name:	Platys waiting in a bucket.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	309657  

Old 07-16-2018, 01:27 AM   #12704
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Love the pics Barliman. I remember being a Platy (Green Lantern- looked blue to me) rancher - exhausting at times!

Set up a mock up in a 30x30 inch cardboard box of the SW stones.

Didn't really have much time to play around with them maybe next weekend.

Looks like I found a new home for the 90G bowfront tank and water damaged stand for a turtle home. A great upgrade sized tank for that. Hoping it leaves my back yard this week.

Will be a small amount of money towards the tank upgrades. Have to clean out some of the swamp water, so it can go into the vehicle.

Worked on emptying about 5 - 30 ounce cups of miscellaneous moss, stuff from previous tank clean outs and who knows what.

Cleaning up the area around the pond. Added a mini pump in the pond. Removed 3 cords from items still laying in there but broken and not removed. Moved all the cords around the rear and just overall made it look better. Can't recall if I mentioned it already but filled up the pond, careful not to overflow it with the babies.

The 2 male Guppies I added look good and fairly happy.

Still shopping for a few options of used tanks and possibly a new one or 2, and upgrading, not adding though could be a transition time. Almost ready for a couple more changes.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:24 AM   #12705
Aquarium Advice Addict

Comet and Goldfish Tanks

Hello again...

Completed the weekly water changes on my tanks. Rescued 20 feeders from the local pet store a few months ago and the fish have really responded to a good diet and pure water conditions. They're growing nicely.

The "Terraphyte" tank plants have nearly outgrown their tanks and the tanks aren't small. Trimming the plants to stimulate new growth is about all the maintenance that's needed. The tanks do take a couple of gallons a day of distilled water to top off what's lost to evaporation. The fish in them are doing well too. Tanks are much easier to manage without the water changes.

B
Old 07-19-2018, 02:44 PM   #12706
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Can a newbie post here? I checked on my guppy fry, I'm keeping an eye on the one I'm probably going to have to cull (spine looks bent). I replanted the vals in my goldfish tank. Silly goldfish, quit uprooting your vals! This time with home made plastic discs as plant anchors. I'm hoping they'll work! I also fed them this morning. Removed last nites carrots (oddly enough the goldfish didn't eat them this time, but the broccoli & cauliflower were gone). Left the carrots in the snail/guppy tank as the snails were still all over them!
Old 07-19-2018, 02:55 PM   #12707
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:08 PM   #12708
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you, V227!
Old 07-22-2018, 06:52 PM   #12709
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

Did a 50% water change on the new 20-long today (aka, the Platy Nursery) and used my Python for the first time for a real water change, not just filling a tank. It worked great. I fed the drain line to an outside planter box, and the refill was smooth as silk. A little slow because of the mediocre water pressure from my tap, but still much better than buckets. And not a spilled drop anywhere. I think I'm a convert.

How much dechlorinator do you typically add when refilling? I used two cap-fulls, way overkill, but adding straight from the tap made me a bit nervous. Fish seem fine, though.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:41 PM   #12710
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My LED floodlights came in today, and I finally had time to put in the dirt, and black sand.

I've got to build a mount for the lights. I'll be getting more plants soon. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180722_190942.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	309751

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com