Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-29-2012, 01:06 PM   #1281
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Malfunctioning heaters suck. Today I tested my water.
0.25 ammonia
Almost no Nitrite.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:21 PM   #1282
Aquarium Advice Addict

5 gallon water change on my BC29, just finished up, now gonna open an ice cold one.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:32 AM   #1283
Aquarium Advice FINatic

did top-offs on all the tanks. my peppermint shrimp even came out for an appearance! lol he's always hiding
Old 09-30-2012, 02:04 PM   #1284
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello Ocean...

Good for you. Larger tanks are much easier to maintain. The more water you have, the more "wiggle" room for accidents in tank management, which happen to even the best water keeper.

I went to 55 G tanks and they're so easy to keep. I just change half the water in them weekly. Now, I don't have to test the water or have a larger than normal filter or filters. By flushing a lot of pure, treated tap water through the tank, you guarantee stable water conditions for the fish and plants.

B

Thanks for the reply back BBradbury! I had thought no body noticed and it made my day that you did!! I actually convinced my hubby that the sand stays where its currently because I just had an outbreak of something I think wasting disease (in my 20 high) and did not want to boil/sanitize sand and make a large mess.
Oceangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #1285
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sand Substrates

Hello again Ocean...

You're welcome. I check in on this thread occasionally, to see what others are doing. Good luck with the sand. Gravel is most commonly used, I prefer pea-sized. It allows for good water circulation for the nutrients to get to the plant roots and is easily cleaned of wastes.

Sand can sometimes get compacted and the plants can't breathe or get food and voids can develop and form little pockets of toxins. Do you clean the sand regularly and how is it done? Just interested.

B
Old 09-30-2012, 06:22 PM   #1286
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I actually under stock sand so to speak, I have a min. amount of sand and stir it every couple weeks. I have a 30 gallon tank and I think 15 pounds of sand. I can't remember LOL. My cories, turn the sand as well, my sand ranges from 1 inch to less than one inch. I have the sand built around my amazon sword (Which is dug up Every week by my cories) I also have been rearranging decor because I just moved everybody over from a 20 high. I use my gravel vac and all the yuck (poo, plant, etc) I was considering Malaysian Trumpet snails, but I hear they are very hard to get rid of. I do 50% water changes, yesterday today I did another 5 or so trying out my new gravel vac, top fin from Petsmart.

I also have a little less than a cm of root at the base of the amazon sword sticking above the sand. I use liquid ferts and I noticed they like it better that way.
Oceangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #1287
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank Info.

Hello Ocean...

Agree with the large weekly water changes. Never had much luck with smaller tanks. Never got the water chemistry quite right. I started having more success when I went to larger tanks. I have 5, the smallest is 38 gallons. Seems like for me, the water chemistry is more consistent when there's more of it in a tank.

Anyway, thanks for insight into the smaller "water cubes".

B
Old 10-01-2012, 01:15 AM   #1288
Aquarium Advice Freak

Today was supposed to be water change day but just did not happen.

Cleaned out the 29 filter.

Planning to do the wc tomorrow. Overdue for testing on all.

Is there a trick to getting the flow started on a huge python? Because I am at my wit's end with this one I have.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:51 AM   #1289
Aquarium Advice Freak

I fed my fish...of course and also finally put timers on my lights. It was about time to give them regularity.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:10 AM   #1290
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Did a water change on mom 55 gallon. For some reason it gets a cloudy haze after a few days. Possible algae bloom of some sort, but don't know the source of this....

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com