Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #1301
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
Water change on my 56 gallon.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #1302
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury
Hello aaron...

I have Aglaonema, Pothos, Philodendron and Nephthytis. I make a large, retangular pocket of plastic netting attached to long bamboo sticks. The netting is secured by plastic twist ties. Simple to lay the frame across the top of the tank and emerse the plant root ball into the tank water. The leaves are held above the water by the netting. There's no substrate needed.

All the potting mixture must be rinsed off the roots before putting the roots into the tank water or the plant will die. The roots take in the nutrients from the fish waste and balance the water chemistry.

I keep the standard HOB filters to filter the tank water at night when the plants slow their filtration work. The filters keep the water moving through the plant roots, so there's a constant source of nourishment for the plants. The leaves grow with the long hours of low light and CO2 from the air circulating in the room.

The great thing about the plants, they require only ambient "room light". I have some pole lamps I leave on 12 hours a day and the plants are thriving. I may have some pics I can post if you're interested.

B
Sounds awesome. Thank you for getting back with me on it but I think the wife would kill me if I was to do something like that lol

Old 10-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #1303
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My guppy died. He had ich, fin rot. I had to flush him down the toilet because he was going through lots of pain likely because he was swimming upside down almost on the ground.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #1304
Aquarium Advice Freak

Today was 20% on the nano and the 55 and started breaking down the 38 to prep for the sw conversion
Old 10-02-2012, 01:33 AM   #1305
Aquarium Advice Addict

75% late water change for the puffer tanks today.

46g half way done cycling. I'm looking around craigslist for used Reef Octopus skimmers and cheap aquafuges.

My mom gave me a yellow canary. I named him Fred. Fred is now the puffer's new roommate.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:20 AM   #1306
Aquarium Advice Freak

Fed all tanks. Not sure how many peoples been following along but I have a 10g fry tank in my room with fry in it. I put the mamas in there and let them give birth then back to the community tank they go. Well I was checking out my community tank today and something caught my eye back by the fake plants. Low and behold, a fry! Didn't look like my moon fry so I'm unsure what it is at this point. But I think my betta is fry hunting cause he's never back there but was today after I spotted the fry
Old 10-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #1307
Aquarium Advice Freak

I spent the last couple of hours removing plants from their pots. So far all the plants have great root systems. 1 anubias had a great root system, but the rhizome was about 1/8 of an inch. I replanted it with the rhizome above the gravel. It has no leaves. I still have 8 plants that need to come out of their containers. I did some landscaping and moved taller plants to the back. With all the roots now in the substrate they should get more nutrients.
Wroberson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #1308
Elephant nose Finatic!

Partial clean on my 55, algae scrubbed, cleaned impeller & re arranged my decor.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:26 AM   #1309
Aquarium Advice Addict

Woke up to find a Cory cat had passed away. Thank goodness for a 14 day guarantee.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #1310
Aquarium Advice Freak

I partially started derimming the ten gallon. going to buy a mini saw to cut off the plastic soon.

i want more!
Athaocity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com