What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you. Yes, they are from the 50's-60's. I got them from ebay. The five gallon leaked and I was so upset. There are three options that I found to fix them. The simplest was to fill them with hot water, and sometimes they reseal. I tried it and it worked!:cool:

The Metaframes are so retro. I had one (10g) growing up and lost track of it in my college years. I don't think silicon was used to seal them at the time; it was more like tar or putty. It had a slate bottom.

I would also rewire the hood if that was the way I was going. Wouldn't want a faulty old plug or bad wiring to burn your house down.

Today I ordered 2 pairs of tiger endlers to breed in my empty 5g. I also ordered some replacement DI resin for my RO/DI unit, as my bad water has almost toasted the current resin already. I hope to do a pwc on the 10g shrimp tank tonight, as well as replant it.

Coolest fish I want to get some !

I don't think silicon was used to seal them at the time; it was more like tar or putty. It had a slate bottom.
That is correct, that is why I had an issue resealing this. It is a black tar like substance, and silicone won't stick to slate. One option is to heat them up, as I did. The other options I have found are have a piece of glass cut to fit inside over the slate and silicone it in with 100% silicone{some have anti-fungal properties and you do not want that}. The other is a product called Black Dow Corning 795 building sealant. It was supposedly used with success at Marineland.

OMG Where did you get the metaframes? They must be very old as I thought they quit making them years ago. I would love to have my old ones back from the 60's as they would make great nostalgia tanks. Anybody have a good old metaframe 10 or 15g they would like to sell?? Great looking tanks! OS.

The old metal frames and slate bottomed tanks are cool. Somebody on my CL has either a 75 or 90 that they put on once in a while.it's a beast.

Yeah I saw that one. There was one like it but in slightly better shape a week or so ago for 150.00. Great for bettas!

I am definetely keeping track of the one with the hood. Bids end on it tomorrow. But I am NOT paying $100 for one so not much hope for me. LOL. OS.

My Terratope Tanks

Water changes this morning for my "terratope" tanks. By including emersed land plants with the aquatic plants, you can easily skip a water change or even two and the water chemistry remains stable for both fish and plants. Filtration is minimal and service is needed about once a month. Much less work compared to when I kept the standard tanks.

B

Deep cleaned all of my tanks today (had to try out my new water changer), all the rocks, filters, etc. made a trip to my lfs and picked up a used fluval canister and a bunch of new rocks for my cichlids. Tomorrow I will add them to the tank. Got this 15 pound gem to replace my odd ball piece of lace rock. It's really neat, pictures don't do it any justice.

Attachments

• image-3054473631.jpg
    image-3054473631.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 69
Deep cleaned all of my tanks today (had to try out my new water changer), all the rocks, filters, etc. made a trip to my lfs and picked up a used fluval canister and a bunch of new rocks for my cichlids. Tomorrow I will add them to the tank. Got this 15 pound gem to replace my odd ball piece of lace rock. It's really neat, pictures don't do it any justice.

Nice find 'thumb'

Set up my 20 gal to fish less cycle while I return from my army reserve training in 2 weeks. I always put 2 thawed (for human consumption lol) shrimp in it and squeeze a filter cartridge from another tank. Works like a charm and I have cycled tanks with this method in 2 weeks, no lie. One of my tanks cycled like this in 10 days, think that's a record lol. Don't steal my idea though lol.

image-1967357759.jpg

I did a rebuild on my stand. I am making room for a 135g reef.

Before ;

image-3299823338.jpg

image-123034325.jpg

image-2277560268.jpg

After:

image-3877639986.jpg

image-1535175267.jpg

image-3447415788.jpg

Other side of the wall:

image-577399031.jpg

image-3112673725.jpg

image-350736207.jpg

image-2366306569.jpg

Water change for ninja, and starting teaching the kittens that fishtanks = wet paws. Took them one by one and let them see the fish, then dipped their paws in. Going to keep doing so until they learn that the fish are nothing they want to mess with. For now all topless tanks are behind a closed door, and after we move all but my 56 will be in a fish room, but it's still a chance I don't want to take. I don't want eaten fish or drowned kitties.

Back
Top Bottom