What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Set up my 20 gal to fish less cycle while I return from my army reserve training in 2 weeks. I always put 2 thawed (for human consumption lol) shrimp in it and squeeze a filter cartridge from another tank. Works like a charm and I have cycled tanks with this method in 2 weeks, no lie. One of my tanks cycled like this in 10 days, think that's a record lol. Don't steal my idea though lol.

View attachment 179292

Hi, Vespasianus [cool name :cool: a riff on the Roman emperor, I presume?]
Really like your idea for cycling... Not one to steal, though I might consider borrowing lol

25% pwc on both my tanks. Rinsed out filters in the old tank water. Petted my discus and parrots (they eat from my hands and like the luvin) watched both tanks for over an hour each.

Wow, how cool to have them eating out of your hand! :) Plenty of Patience, I would guess, is how this was accomplished... nice.

fed everyone , found 3 power heads running backwards unplugged them than restarted going right way now , must have had a power surge

Hi, Vespasianus [cool name :cool: a riff on the Roman emperor, I presume?]
Really like your idea for cycling... Not one to steal, though I might consider borrowing lol

Yeah Vespasianus was one of my favorite roman emperors. I'm a history nerd. And about the shrimp idea I was kidding lol. That's actually and old trick and hardly mine XD. Downside is...its stinky like you can't imagine when that think decomposes. I usually do it when I can't be there to cycle like in this instance where I'll be away for 2 weeks and I won't be able to be so involved in the cycling.

Yeah Vespasianus was one of my favorite roman emperors. I'm a history nerd. And about the shrimp idea I was kidding lol. That's actually and old trick. Downside is...its stinky like you can't imagine when that think decomposes.

I did a fishless cycle in a bedroom tank so the shrimp approach would not cut it. P-U. I used ammonia from Harris Teeter grocery store. Ran a new HOB filter in another tank for 9 days, moved it and some media from the established HOB into the new tank, dosed it with ammonia and in 6 days it was converting 4 ppm ammonia in 24-30 hours.

Picked out/off some dead java fern leaves and some water spirit shoots. Watched the crew in both tanks. Also found somebody on CL with driftwood for sale. Sent them an e-mail hope to hear back from them in a day or 2.

Spent three hours adding about 50 lbs of rock and rescaping my cichlids. I'm really pleased with the way it turned out, but I really have a growing issue with the background. Just not sure how to go about changing it now that the tank is full and not sure what I'd like to replace it with. HMMMM also on the Craigslist prowl for a 75+ for a discus tank down the line when my 55 is done. :)

Attachments

• image-579679322.jpg
    image-579679322.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 90
  • image-653462714.jpg
    image-653462714.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 89
looks great
I'd be kind of concerned that it's not going to be to stable and if a fish knocks it , it may all come down , or did you glue it together just hate to see a rock crash through the glass

looks great
I'd be kind of concerned that it's not going to be to stable and if a fish knocks it , it may all come down , or did you glue it together just hate to see a rock crash through the glass

Thank you! Some of them are glued and some are not for that exact reason! The little ones that are easier to budge are glued, but I didn't want to get crazy with the glue since I rearrange them constantly. Lol

Today I got some test strips to test out my water and although not today I definitely plan to change my currently freshwater tank into a brackish water tank in the future.

I tested my waters again just to make sure there was no ammonia. I'm really freaked out that there was on Saturday. All is still clear, I also did a snail harvest from my tank to give my friends puffer (salt water) (about 25 mts and 15 pond snails). I know it's not recommended but he has been running that tank for 20yrs

Got carried away cleaning my elephant nose tank took to much water out whoops! But I'm sure they'll appreciate it :)

ForumRunner_20130611_222325.jpg

ForumRunner_20130611_222437.jpg

Adding bamboo Shrimp to my tank tomorrow I'm looking forward to getting them been wanting them for a while :)

Got carried away cleaning my elephant nose tank took to much water out whoops! But I'm sure they'll appreciate it :)

Adding bamboo Shrimp to my tank tomorrow I'm looking forward to getting them been wanting them for a while :)

Is that a live snail or just a shell? What kind of snail is that? That's neat!!

What kind of plants are those on the far left? I love your tank!! What kind of lighting do you have? And what kind of fertilizers and co2 are you using?

What kind of plants are those on the far left? I love your tank!! What kind of lighting do you have? And what kind of fertilizers and co2 are you using?

Not sure the name of them sorry they were given to me. I don't use fertilizers they just seem to grow lol i wouldn't have a clue with things like that! But thank you very much :)

Not sure the name of them sorry they were given to me. I don't use fertilizers they just seem to grow lol i wouldn't have a clue with things like that! But thank you very much :)

Awesome. :) that's lucky. Maybe I try too hard. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom