Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #1781
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tried to explain to my mom & brother that some fish, in my case Bolivian rams, learn to recognize people over time. They now think I'm even more crazy. I watch my 29 g every night and both rams will come and swim back and forth in front of me weather I am feeding them or not.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #1782
Aquarium Advice Addict

No Water Change Tanks

Hello Aa...

Serviced the filters in my Terraphyte tanks today. No water changes needed, so am saving about 125 gallons of water every week. Just use a gallon or two of tap water treated with the standard "Prime" to clean the backup water filters needed for the period at night when the emersed plants slow their filtering process.

Keeping large, planted tanks is so much less work with the use of the Aglaonema plants and the emersed version grows so much faster than potted plants. Water properties are stable, no traces of ammonia, nitrite and a trace of nitrates, less than 5 ppm.

B

Old 01-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #1783
Aquarium Advice Freak

Nothing, for once! It's 67 degrees in January. I let the kids get muddy and threw balls for the dogs. Monday will have to be pwc day, this time. I hope my fish will understand.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #1784
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury
Hello Aa...

Serviced the filters in my Terraphyte tanks today. No water changes needed, so am saving about 125 gallons of water every week. Just use a gallon or two of tap water treated with the standard "Prime" to clean the backup water filters needed for the period at night when the emersed plants slow their filtering process.

Keeping large, planted tanks is so much less work with the use of the Aglaonema plants and the emersed version grows so much faster than potted plants. Water properties are stable, no traces of ammonia, nitrite and a trace of nitrates, less than 5 ppm.

B
I know we have talked about this before but I just had one more question! Can I use any household plants? I know that quick growers would prob be the best bet!
Old 01-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #1785
Aquarium Advice Addict

Using Land Plants

Hello aaron...

No problem. We can review what emersed land plants to use. There are several that can be used, but you must remove the potting mixture from the roots: Peace lily, Chinese evergreen (Cutlass and Gemini varieties), Impatiens (Shady lady variety), Pothos, Philodendron, Nephthytis and lettuce started from seed.

The best for nitrogen control is Aglaonema (Chinese evergreen) and Philodendron a distant second place. The others will work too. The reason Aglaonema works so well, is the plants are large with equally large root balls. The roots take in large concentrations of nitrogen in the water and work within a few days.

I've tested tank water with nitrates in the upper 40 ppm range and emersed one Evergreen and within a week, the nitrates were less than 10 ppm.

There are some specific steps for preparing the land plant to be emersed, but it definitely works.

B
Old 01-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #1786

Switched out gravel for sand in son's tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1325104924.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	144082  
Old 01-13-2013, 09:41 PM   #1787
Aquarium Advice Freak

Added a piece of drift wood to the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3690404156.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	144084   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4130487295.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	250.7 KB
ID:	144085  

Old 01-13-2013, 09:45 PM   #1788
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcass View Post
Added a piece of drift wood to the tank.
Looks good!!

Did a small 20% water change on the cichlid tank.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:45 PM   #1789
Aquarium Advice Freak

Did complete water test, all good except ph a tad high grrrrr stupid tap water, didn't do a water change due to ph. Moved tall plants to back of tank and made room for a possible drift wood when I find the one juuuuust right.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:56 PM   #1790

Tested water on all tanks.. small amount of ammonia in the 55g nothing a pwc wont fix.. water in the 20g was perfect.. gonna buy a few more plants n mayb some flowerpots to add as hiding spots for when i give the gbr another try .. glad i asked the people on here about them or i wouldnt even consider another one.. but i want to ensure if i get another aggressive one its the personality of the fish not lacking cover ..

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com