Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-17-2013, 05:23 PM   #1821
Aquarium Advice Addict

Setting to do a water change on my 75g and... the hose burst! Heading to the hardware store now UGH!!

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #1822
Aquarium Advice Regular

Seriously considering a python since I'm setting up tank #4! Also water changes on my 46 bow

Old 01-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #1823
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post

How long did you have the Sterbai. What do you think it could be?

I am so sorry about your babies.
It was the last of my original 4 julii Cory cats who died. I've had them for 6 months. I'm not sure what it died from. My water is in check. It was in with 2 Bolivian rams, so if my water was bad, im sure the rams would be the first to show symptoms. This is the first fish that I've lost from the 29 gallon in around 10 months, so I'm not really sure. It could have been old age.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:45 PM   #1824
Aquarium Advice Addict

Keeping Corydoras

Hello Tetra...

Corys are very sensative to changes in the water chemistry and require pure water conditions. If you don't change large amounts of tank water and change it weekly, Corys will have a much shorter life. They don't tolerate even slightly higher nitrate levels in the water.

Sand is the preferred substrate, but I've kept Corys in pea sized, polished gravel, in low light tanks for almost 10 years with no problems. My older "little cats" are coming up on five years old.

I use a little standard aquarium salt in my Cory tanks, about a teaspoon in every five gallons of new, treated tap water. It's been my experience with Corydoras that a small bit of salt added to the tank helps maintain a strong immune system.

I feed only frozen foods and a little minced garlic. The frozen foods have no additives and the garlic is high in vitamins and a natural antibiotic.

Just a couple of thoughts.

B
Old 01-17-2013, 09:58 PM   #1825
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello Tetra...

Corys are very sensative to changes in the water chemistry and require pure water conditions. If you don't change large amounts of tank water and change it weekly, Corys will have a much shorter life. They don't tolerate even slightly higher nitrate levels in the water.

Sand is the preferred substrate, but I've kept Corys in pea sized, polished gravel, in low light tanks for almost 10 years with no problems. My older "little cats" are coming up on five years old.

I use a little standard aquarium salt in my Cory tanks, about a teaspoon in every five gallons of new, treated tap water. It's been my experience with Corydoras that a small bit of salt added to the tank helps maintain a strong immune system.

I feed only frozen foods and a little minced garlic. The frozen foods have no additives and the garlic is high in vitamins and a natural antibiotic.

Just a couple of thoughts.

B
Thanks for this info! I have sand for this particular tank. I change 50% at least once a week. I think I may have found the problem. I checked my heater and it was up to 85 and my temp strip on the glass confirmed this. I normally keep the water at 76. You feed garlic? Like minced or slices?
Old 01-18-2013, 07:45 AM   #1826
Aquarium Advice Addict

Feeding Garlic

Hello again Tetra...

I feed just a little minced garlic. I drop about a teaspoon or so into the tank every few weeks. The Corydoras aren't so much veggie eaters, but they'll taste just about anything. A company by the name of "Spice World" has a good product. Of course, there are many others, just check the contents. You just want the minced cloves and nothing else added.

B
Old 01-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #1827
Aquarium Advice Freak

Cleaned my canister filter and put nylon hose over the intake to protect my fry (any day now!!!)
Old 01-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #1828
Aquarium Advice Addict

I woke up this morning to find one of my baby betta swimming erratically, it then did a loop landed upside down gasping at the bottom of the tank. Set up an emergency 1g with warm water a single aquarium salt grain and bettafix and drip acclimated him. Appears to be doing fine now and he looks like he's growing. I say he, but I'm not sure yet- too young or sick to be interested in breeding. I have a pair of juvenile betta that are showing signs of the mating ritual (beautiful colors with zebra stripes) so I have them next to each other with a leaf on the top to see if one will build a bubble nest. Rearranged rocks, did a 10g water change on my 40g and removed cyano build up from part of my back glass where it had been hidden by a rock and removed some detritus from the sand. Caught a runaway female fiddler crab. Broke down and set back up my other 2g for a growing baby female that isn't quite ready to breed. Set up a 10g bucket for potential eggs. Still have to check my large paradise gourami over to see why she is bloated (I have a feeling she's constipated from eating too much mysis, gotta love my cats for that one). I am thinking getting an acrylic top for my 10g fw planted and a secondary purple actinic to go with my moonlight LED, I have to go get ferts anyway, so I might as well look into it, and I'm searching craigslist for a good deal on a second reef lamp for my 10g nano and a 5g biotopic cube to use as a planted shrimp tank- I want to go amano style, or maybe Dutch, trying to make up my mind.
ktomminello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #1829
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktomminello View Post
I woke up this morning to find one of my baby betta swimming erratically, it then did a loop landed upside down gasping at the bottom of the tank. Set up an emergency 1g with warm water a single aquarium salt grain and bettafix and drip acclimated him. Appears to be doing fine now and he looks like he's growing. I say he, but I'm not sure yet- too young or sick to be interested in breeding. I have a pair of juvenile betta that are showing signs of the mating ritual (beautiful colors with zebra stripes) so I have them next to each other with a leaf on the top to see if one will build a bubble nest. Rearranged rocks, did a 10g water change on my 40g and removed cyano build up from part of my back glass where it had been hidden by a rock and removed some detritus from the sand. Caught a runaway female fiddler crab. Broke down and set back up my other 2g for a growing baby female that isn't quite ready to breed. Set up a 10g bucket for potential eggs. Still have to check my large paradise gourami over to see why she is bloated (I have a feeling she's constipated from eating too much mysis, gotta love my cats for that one). I am thinking getting an acrylic top for my 10g fw planted and a secondary purple actinic to go with my moonlight LED, I have to go get ferts anyway, so I might as well look into it, and I'm searching craigslist for a good deal on a second reef lamp for my 10g nano and a 5g biotopic cube to use as a planted shrimp tank- I want to go amano style, or maybe Dutch, trying to make up my mind.
So, in a nutshell, you had a busy day
Old 01-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #1830
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Skype™ to Lochnessholly
Was worried about a missing bumblebee platy and found him when I did my waterchange all my parameters were fine, too :/

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com