What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like my 6G desktop finished cycling last Sunday. Ran a few more cycles of dosing Ammonia the first part of the week to verify it processes it all the way to Nitrate with zero Ammonia & Nitrite within 24 hours. Looks like it does it in a little less than 24 hours.

Did a massive WC this morning and during my afternoon errands stopped by Petsmart and couldn't resist the Blue Mystery Snails. A couple of them are now exploring my tank.

Tomorrow the LFS's will be open and I think I'll see if I can get a few RCS to get that tank stocked.

My Current LED+ light is due by UPS tomorrow.

Now waiting for my 20L to finish cycling...:whistle:

A nice long holiday weekend with nothing to do but play with my aquariums! I'm such a party animal...:dance:

Did my sand cleaning with my turkey baster and changed out 50% water in my OEBT tank! Tank is crystal clear...the OEBT kept trying to grab particles in the baster tube and were curiously climbing all over it since I stirred up the sand.

I was laughing a lot at them. so I was going to feed them but I decided since I stirred things up I would let them pick and feed them tomorrow. Got the light fixed on the hood too, but had to direct wire it, as the swith was broken, so you plug it in and it is on, unplug and its off.

Rescaped my little 3G planted jar. Cleaned the sand with the turkey baster too.

Took out the very large DW and made the tank cloudy. :facepalm:

Put in a Petrified Wood stone for now, since I can't see in there very clearly, I will wait till it clears to change if it needs it, planted DHG and some little plants of Telanthera. Added a different smaller DW with some Anubias Petite Nana plants and Java Fern narrow leaf on it.

Noticed a RCS saddled and then a browner shrimp almost twice its size in there. :eek: Gonna try and catch it. :confused: Not sure what kind it is. It looks more brown than a Amano. Didn't seem to have any giant claws or anything out of the ordinary just huge! lol

Planted some DHG and Telanthera and added a nice sized starter triple crown of Pogostemon Helferi in my 6.6G Edge. I have been growing it from the Top Fin bag of anemic tiny plants to a very nice and green plant worth planting!!!

The Ace hardware 6500K CFL bulb has done wonders for those Top Fin bagged plants. The DHG is the one I have been growing since April 9th in the bag/never opened and it literally doubled in size/root system and height.

Before...
When I bought it...
60074-albums12153-picture54834.jpg

After...

60074-albums12694-picture58356.jpg

Added some Telanthera to the 72G also and the big DW from the planted jar.

Did my sand cleaning with my turkey baster and changed out 50% water in my OEBT tank! Tank is crystal clear...the OEBT kept trying to grab particles in the baster tube and were curiously climbing all over it since I stirred up the sand.

I was laughing a lot at them. so I was going to feed them but I decided since I stirred things up I would let them pick and feed them tomorrow. Got the light fixed on the hood too, but had to direct wire it, as the swith was broken, so you plug it in and it is on, unplug and its off.

Rescaped my little 3G planted jar. Cleaned the sand with the turkey baster too.

Took out the very large DW and made the tank cloudy. :facepalm:

Put in a Petrified Wood stone for now, since I can't see in there very clearly, I will wait till it clears to change if it needs it, planted DHG and some little plants of Telanthera. Added a different smaller DW with some Anubias Petite Nana plants and Java Fern narrow leaf on it.

Noticed a RCS saddled and then a browner shrimp almost twice its size in there. :eek: Gonna try and catch it. :confused: Not sure what kind it is. It looks more brown than a Amano. Didn't seem to have any giant claws or anything out of the ordinary just huge! lol

Planted some DHG and Telanthera and added a nice sized starter triple crown of Pogostemon Helferi in my 6.6G Edge. I have been growing it from the Top Fin bag of anemic tiny plants to a very nice and green plant worth planting!!!

The Ace hardware 6500K CFL bulb has done wonders for those Top Fin bagged plants. The DHG is the one I have been growing since April 9th in the bag/never opened and it literally doubled in size/root system and height.

Before...
When I bought it...

After...

Added some Telanthera to the 72G also and the big DW from the planted jar.

How do you grow it in the bag? Where did you buy the DHG at?

Thanks! Hope to get fry! These aren't your everyday run of the mill geos!

Congrats .... N I got a name for ya... its ron aka rrsarich he comes today to get them ... oh n since i havent a clue what to do with my 55g if u have some interesting stuff i can keep in a 55g inbox me .. my cichlids are by far my fav n i know all the sa ones i like are too big for the 55g in the long run :(

Fed my babies for the last time before the new owner comes ... draining some water so it wont as difficult to catch the little boogers

I've seen those plant packs there. I've always been leery of them though.

I have bought DHG 2x. The first was about 6-7 months ago maybe a bit longer, grew great but my baby BN pleco kept up rooting it and hiding in it and eventually it all floated off except a few strands.

Then I bought it again to add some into the tank again as he had grown enough to move to the other tank and plant in the planted jar.

Ended uo using a giant DW in the jar which took up most of the bottom space and then the same, I added back a DW to the Edge tank and it pretty much took up the space I had intended to put the DHG.

So it stayed in the little bag, in the cardboard too! lol every day I turn on the lamp above it-25" above from the top of the table, turn it over so it gets good light 1-2x per day, and there were days when I didn't get around to turning it. It was so healthy and green, and just kept growing!!!

Anyway I just got to planting it almost 3 months later!!!

I have purchased 2 Pogostemon Helferi/Downoi. One was super green and health looking couple weeks later bought the other pale hadn't got enough light tiny leaves, but it was not brown/dead looking just needed light. So I bought it and put it under the lamp to green it up, in a week or so it greened and the leaves doubled and looked perfect. There were a few tiny browned leaves in the centers next to the gel. Just picked them out.

My aquatic inhabitants seem to love to eat the Downoi so I don't know what I am gonna do. $8 is an expensive salad snack for them.

Got Staurogyne repens and let it get greener and bigger in the package for the week or so and planted it and it is doing really well, I plan to buy some more of it.

While I was there checking on what they had the had a few things on clearance, I got a ill looking package of Teleantera for 25 cents, there were at least three baby stems which were alive and ok, tiny but I knew I could grow them. In two weeks, they grew bigger and when I separated them, there were 6-7 little and tiny plants (25 cents!!!)

They have a few more I plan to pick up. Cyperus helferi and balanese crypt. They also have Anubias Petite Nana.

Lots of fun!!! They cost 7.99-8+ One store had the same ones for $1 more. I think they may have been in the middle of raising the prices.

Again the light bulb I am using over my snail bowl and planted jar is a daylight 6500K CFL in a pretty table lamp, it took me forever to find (not very available -most here have 3200 or 3400K daylight, I looked for months!!!) it but it was from Ace Hardware, the 2 pack is a good deal.

I have bought DHG 2x. The first was about 6-7 months ago maybe a bit longer, grew great but my baby BN pleco kept up rooting it and hiding in it and eventually it all floated off except a few strands.

Then I bought it again to add some into the tank again as he had grown enough to move to the other tank and plant in the planted jar.

Ended uo using a giant DW in the jar which took up most of the bottom space and then the same, I added back a DW to the Edge tank and it pretty much took up the space I had intended to put the DHG.

So it stayed in the little bag, in the cardboard too! lol every day I turn on the lamp above it-25" above from the top of the table, turn it over so it gets good light 1-2x per day, and there were days when I didn't get around to turning it. It was so healthy and green, and just kept growing!!!

Anyway I just got to planting it almost 3 months later!!!

I have purchased 2 Pogostemon Helferi/Downoi. One was super green and health looking couple weeks later bought the other pale hadn't got enough light tiny leaves, but it was not brown/dead looking just needed light. So I bought it and put it under the lamp to green it up, in a week or so it greened and the leaves doubled and looked perfect. There were a few tiny browned leaves in the centers next to the gel. Just picked them out.

My aquatic inhabitants seem to love to eat the Downoi so I don't know what I am gonna do. $8 is an expensive salad snack for them.

Got Staurogyne repens and let it get greener and bigger in the package for the week or so and planted it and it is doing really well, I plan to buy some more of it.

While I was there checking on what they had the had a few things on clearance, I got a ill looking package of Teleantera for 25 cents, there were at least three baby stems which were alive and ok, tiny but I knew I could grow them. In two weeks, they grew bigger and when I separated them, there were 6-7 little and tiny plants (25 cents!!!)

They have a few more I plan to pick up. Cyperus helferi and balanese crypt. They also have Anubias Petite Nana.

Lots of fun!!! They cost 7.99-8+ One store had the same ones for $1 more. I think they may have been in the middle of raising the prices.

Again the light bulb I am using over my snail bowl and planted jar is a daylight 6500K CFL in a pretty table lamp, it took me forever to find (not very available -most here have 3200 or 3400K daylight, I looked for months!!!) it but it was from Ace Hardware, the 2 pack is a good deal.

So you didnt submerse the DHG at all?

So you didnt submerse the DHG at all?

Not until I just planted it yesterday. Sat in the bag and cardboard. It was sealed in the clear wrap it comes in, with the gel. I never opened or watered it. The whole time!

Took the cardboard off of all of them a week and a half a go.

The one previous 6-7 months ago as I mention I planted right away and it did well in my Edge 6.6G, except for the BN pleco.

Did weekly 20% pwc. Cleaned glass, but it didn't really need much. Sloshed out filter material -- looks good. Trimmed more bacopa australis and planted trimmings. Finally getting that back under control. Added excel and ferts. Fed fish. Enjoyed the pristella tetra feeding frenzy. Cleaned tank cleaning equip.

Changing the tanks around. Switching all of the fish from the 5.5g to the 10g as well as most all of the plants. I'm also changing the 5.5g around as well. Everything in these two tanks are being changed: the substrate, filters (switching), plants, animals... Long process ahead. Just finished scooping all of the RCS an least killies from the 5.5g and it took FOREVER because of all the babies... Now to cleaning that tank from top to bottom:). Then on to the 10g!

Cleaned my snail 2G bowl plant holder.

There were a bunch of baby shrimp in there, I moved them to the planted jar 3G since it holds an extra gallon of water and has the air bubbler in it and a couple RCS too. Had to pick through all the gunk to get the teeny tiny babies out - a few were just specs.

Pic is of it before I changed the bottom to Garnet sand. And the plants were brand new. Snail bowl.

Threw the moss and snails back in the bowl and took out almost all the sand, it was too thick and getting stagnant.

60074-albums12102-picture54575.jpg

Changed from gravel to sand in my 25 gallon last night and found a baby fish :)

Attachments

• image-142726186.jpg
    image-142726186.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 60
  • image-2622971680.jpg
    image-2622971680.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 79
Back
Top Bottom