What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
what i did today

Did a 25% change in all 8 of my tanks. Took in ten male and ten female of my 3 month old redtail tuxeudo fancy guppies. Got ten bucks in store credit. Picked up some methylene blue and tropical flakes. Hooked up my automatic feeder to my fry tank since were going on vscation sunday for a week. Got some slowrelease vitamin blocks for them to nibble on while im gone. I been feeding alot of brine shrimp this past week to build up their fat reserves. Should be fine.:whistle:

Got new snails that i forgot to mention in their tank.. 2 for the crawfish since one has been shaking its claws at me wanting snails...lol

Acclimated the 4 yellow tail acei and fed the new food to the rest of the tank just luv using this trick to add newbies... even saw the acei snatching some food in the mix... lol all in all a good evening

Was a long day for tank maintenance and I only have 2 tanks currently

Did a 75% pwc and full gravel vacc on my daughters 20 long, took apart filter and decor to scrub. Ich is gone and I want it to stay that way. (I did the aquarium salt and temp method)

Then I did a 50% pwc on my planted 70g, also cleaned filter then did some major trimming and removal of he extra plants. I have Vallisneria and it spreads like crazy started with a single plant and it took over. Also had to trim the dead/sick leaves from my amazon sword and the elodea densa just needed to be shortened a bit. The new bamboo shrimp had fun during this fanning and eating away, I was just worried about injuring one with the scissors

I decided to remove a piece of pottery that is the only unnatural looking piece of decor, I removed it put it aside in the trash leaves bucket while I was trimming then I figured its a good cave that my rams like as I picked it up to put back in my butterfly pleco fell out. He's fine but I would of been so upset if he died. It's funny the pottery has no bottom but I guess the pleco had a good grip.

Water change on my 46g AND changed out the stock fluorescent bulb it came with a year ago to one specific for plants:

Before:
image-3870253313.jpg

After:
image-3018297473.jpg

It looks so much dimmer in person but the colors of the fish are amazing. The bulb didn't specifically say 65000k just that its for plants so we'll see what happens.

Also did water changes on 2 other small tanks.

Water change on my 46g AND changed out the stock fluorescent bulb it came with a year ago to one specific for plants:

Before:

After:

It looks so much dimmer in person but the colors of the fish are amazing. The bulb didn't specifically say 65000k just that its for plants so we'll see what happens.

Very pretty... luv it

Before:

After:

That's beautiful!

Got 10 cherry barbs for the 55g. Thank you PetSmart! Instead of spending $25-30 on them I got them all for $8:dance:.

Did a 20% PWC on the 55g. Got black worms for the puffer as well as another plant, bought one but got four:). I love when the LFS employees actually make sure you get more than what you pay for! Ah, good day in the fishie world. Tonight they get black worms for dinner:D

Upgraded heater on my 29 gal DT from 100w to 150w. Test ran it and wiped it down before putting in tank. Spent the afternoon monitoring the temp setting.

Gave my new 10 gal QT a test run. Put the 100w heater in there and set up the filter. I got an Aquaclear 30 so I can easily seed it with filter pad I have in my Aquaclear 50 on the DT. The QT is in a temporary location for a couple of days for testing. I'll have to break it down, move it, and set it up again before getting fish.

Did a 50 % clean on my bettas tank.
Been finding dead amanos in my elephant nose tank one had been eaten! But the other two hadn't, don't know what's going on but think it could have something to do with a certain fish!!

Mystery Snails

I moved one of my gold mystery snails (Argo) from my 15g column to my 5g. My other gold mystery snail (Jason) was spotted sitting up on his foot like a teddy bear holding a piece of algae wafer and nomming it down!! In the photo (sorry, best I could on short notice), he's looking at me while holding his wafer over to the side, as if to say, "Mine!" :lol: You can see how he's grasping it better if you look in the reflection on the bottom of the tank.

Attachments

• Argo at Home.jpg
    Argo at Home.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 57
  • MINE_Jason.jpg
    MINE_Jason.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 68

Before:
View attachment 184576

After:
View attachment 184577

Really beautiful tank. Mind if I ask what the floating plant is? I'm setting up a 56g, and I'm thinking of adding a couple of floating plants. I'm new to the planted tank world - may ease into a fully planted tank later. :thanks:

Before:

After:

OMG I loveeee your aquascaping!!!!

Really beautiful tank. Mind if I ask what the floating plant is? I'm setting up a 56g, and I'm thinking of adding a couple of floating plants. I'm new to the planted tank world - may ease into a fully planted tank later. :thanks:

Thank you. The floating plants are anachris. I'm hoping this new light will get my swords & other plants in the front to get some height on them but I'm having my doubts its the appropriate light for the depth of the tank, I'm going to do a little more research to see if there's a better light. Planted tanks are great, the biggest issue I have are my CAE's tend to up root the ones that haven't had a chance to take hold.

Thank you kjacks & jmay33. I don't quite have the plants as filled in as I'd like but its getting there, hoping the new bulb helps.

Filled water in 37G and found a dead Sword in my 72G, :( but am having to go to work so I will have to try and figure that out tomorrow.:confused:

Everything has been going fine in there...or so I thought.

Last night added a floating lily pad thing made for little turtles to the 72G, but for the Fiddler Crab and thinking of getting more but nothing esle until i figure out whats up.:facepalm:

Today I took samples from my SW tank and found out that it had cycled:). Did a PWC and I'm getting a fish tomorrow:D :dance:

I took my oddly bloated female betta out of qt since epsom salt baths were not doing her any good. I am just keeping watch on her and if she starts acting as if she is in pain or starts hacing issues swimming I may have to euthanize her. Being as the swelling is on one side, and epsom salts, fasting, and peas and brine shrimp have yielded no results, I fear she may have a tumor. I even tried floating her in with each of my males to see if yhat may spur her to drop eggs if she were egg-bound, but that didn't work either. Might try that again tomorrow evening.

Since I was taking her out of qt, I took a look at the bettas when I was in walmart getting groceries and made a lucky find.I had pretty much given up on finding anything special, especially after finding a nice lavender-grey crowntail with what looked to be a swim bladder issue. But lo and behold, after picking up and inspecting just about every cup on the shelf, I got to a cup that had been sat off to the side and stumbed upon a gorgeous crowntail. He has a light body with pale blue green iridescence and mostly light blue fins. But his dorsal and anal fins are yellow at the tips, almost in a butterfly pattern, exept all of the tail is blue. I like the shape of his fins as well. Instead of the typical long delicate fringes, his are more short and thick. He looks fringed. I love him! I will be decorating his tank in a week or so.
Here he is :
img_2552075_0_4303eb854152c0ff097442a904112f2d.jpg

img_2552075_1_b1fc4f67aa4087cd05000efd1ec12e9e.jpg

img_2552075_2_c5220d058a7d60237e335864c431ba6e.jpg

Back
Top Bottom