Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #2031
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bringing the 'fish tank emergency' level down to the orange for now. Last night I got home and seen the water level on my 29g was down by almost 2 inches! The wall and carpet were soaked and the paint had a huge water bubble. I thought my filter had sprung a leak. I quickly powered everything down and got a few large towels and a box fan to try and dry everything out. My mom thought the tank/stand/filter were too close to the wall and she figured that's how the water got everywhere. Moved the filter to the side of the tank and ran it all night with a bucket under it to catch any water that might leak out. This morning the bucket under my filter was bone dry, so the filter doesn't leak. Removed 50% of the water and pulled everything out from the wall so it wasn't right against it( im not moving a full tank and stand) Refilled with treated water, replaced everything and so far, so good.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #2032
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwandrsn View Post
50% pwc on my wife's planted 20 gallon tank
7 male guppies
5 neon tetras
3 albino cory catfish
2 albino bristle-nosed plecos
4 ghost shrimp

10% pwc on my 36 gallon bow front reef tank

2 fancy occ clownfish
6 astria snails
6 hermit crabs
Lovely tanks! I think the reef needs something big and red... A skunk cleaner or fire shrimp!

Old 02-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #2033
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearchumjs View Post

Lovely tanks! I think the reef needs something big and red... A skunk cleaner or fire shrimp!
I second the motion! My fire shrimp really grabs your attention.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #2034
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So if this were my tank this would be terribly embarrassing, but its not so I'll share. I'm at my parents doing a major overhaul of their 55 gal. It was disgusting. I seriously doubt my dad ever cleans it anymore. It had some kinda stringy clumps of algae growing everywhere. So bad it actually destroyed about half of the fake plants. I tested the nitrates just out of curiosity. I knew they'd be high but I can honestly say I'm in total shock that anything was still living. Done 3 pwc gonna test again and see where it's at. Then rescaping and planting a bunch of wisteria clippings from my tank to try and combat nitrates and this algae. I've been given the ok to do what I want with the tank so im taking over maintenance duties and gonna be upgrading substrate and lighting to start a planted tank here. Hopefully having a good looking tank will get my parents interest back and they start keeping up on it themselves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-446409982.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	149543  
Old 02-03-2013, 01:57 PM   #2035
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearchumjs View Post

Thanks yeah I'm eventually gonna get a cleaner shrimp and a pistol shrimp. Its a work in progress
Old 02-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #2036

Picked up a new betta and set up a new tank for him. Also picked up a school of neon tetras and some electric blue rams for my sons tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-427174087.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	149555   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1277358806.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	149556  

Old 02-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #2037
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlavassor86 View Post
So if this were my tank this would be terribly embarrassing, but its not so I'll share. I'm at my parents doing a major overhaul of their 55 gal. It was disgusting. I seriously doubt my dad ever cleans it anymore. It had some kinda stringy clumps of algae growing everywhere. So bad it actually destroyed about half of the fake plants. I tested the nitrates just out of curiosity. I knew they'd be high but I can honestly say I'm in total shock that anything was still living. Done 3 pwc gonna test again and see where it's at. Then rescaping and planting a bunch of wisteria clippings from my tank to try and combat nitrates and this algae. I've been given the ok to do what I want with the tank so im taking over maintenance duties and gonna be upgrading substrate and lighting to start a planted tank here. Hopefully having a good looking tank will get my parents interest back and they start keeping up on it themselves.
Oh wow... You know, since they aren't doing pwcs, maybe you should get some purigen to run in the filter. It isn't an excuse for poor tank maintence- which I know isn't your fault, but it will help keep it healthy in between your cleanings.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #2038
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearchumjs

Oh wow... You know, since they aren't doing pwcs, maybe you should get some purigen to run in the filter. It isn't an excuse for poor tank maintence- which I know isn't your fault, but it will help keep it healthy in between your cleanings.
Yea I'll do that next weekend. I'm upgrading my cascade 1000 to a fluval fx5 so I'm going to give the cascade to them and its got purigen in it. But either way I'll be trying to get there every weekend.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #2039
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I finally put a blue background on my tank. I think it makes it look ten times better from having nothing at all on it. I took everything apart and cleaned real well. The skimmer, filter, pumps, everything a good deep clean. Took me 2 hours to do everything.

Thing that scares me is I can't find my Six Line Wrasse. :-/ I am sure he is in the tank hiding, I got a lot of live rock. :-p
Old 02-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #2040
Elephant nose Finatic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbourg746 View Post
Picked up a new betta and set up a new tank for him. Also picked up a school of neon tetras and some electric blue rams for my sons tank.
Love the colour! Very nice

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com