What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yesterday cleaned the filter in the 37G, my prefilter sponge was gunky. I also cleaned a huge handfull of dead plants leaves out of the 72G. Refilled water level.

Today I saw my Koi Angel being SOOOO mean and realized the pair spawned AGAIN, before I even got them into the other new space, a week ago I think! Maybe it was 10 days....I fed them a little extra for all their hard work. Now I really have to get the fish moved, and get them into their own space.

The male is fertilizing them now, in between slamming the other fish who get too close. This time they picked the DW to lay eggs on. I am a little worried for the other fish. Though they are starting to pay attention to the Momma and Pappa when they turn in their direction, and flee BEFORE getting rammed! My pictures are full now but I will get some pics and post Sunday.

Perspex scratches easy, why not glass? 10 mm should be ok providing it isn't too big/deep. I can see a 75 being born soon! Wood will need some pretty heavy duty supporting frames, that could be tank space.

A fish store near me filled a paddling pool for kids with big regular fish, normally offered in most stores.
It was a display so you could see what you might end up with.

I had thought about a kids pool for the present actually. I'll see what is available locally tomorrow for the short term. But the long term plan with this tank and hopefully Brutus (who might have 18 years left in him) is to couple his tank with an aquaponics set up to grow some of the rarer aquatic plants i can collect here in Australia or just some fruit's herbs and vegetables to eat. I have many plans since joining the AA community.

If i have Brutuses 75G outside in a small scale glasshouse i figure the perspex would be less likely to break if bumped and adding some styrofoam to clad it in winter wouldn't be such an issue. Perspex might be cheaper too for now. I have a room at the moment i can house this in but long term the plan would be to house it in the greenhouse i'll eventually get round to building.

If i went with plywood and perspex i could use a steel 90 degree frame, then add the wood or perspex inside. It needn't be pretty i'm happy with functional for the time being. My budget isn't great right now thanks to a blown head gasket :(. All my power tools were stolen about a year ago too so i'll either replace them or do it with a lot of elbow grease.

I DIY built a few tanks, it isn't that difficult if you are handy, some people are good with the brain some are good with the hands. Which are you? :(
I could stand to be better in both departments if i'm being honest but i get by usually in either department. The good thing for me at the moment is that i have a bunch of friendly people here to check on what my brain devises and if need be my nieces grandad is a retired builder who is a perfectionist and would probably jump at the opportunity to help build something interesting. My niece has a cubby house that is lacking only running water thanks to her grandad. We had a nephew use it as a granny flat for 4 months. If my handiwork is lacking I'll recruit him to help. If he helps it will probably wind up being a 500G thing that locals would pay to see. He's dedicated and bored.

I used manufactured tank specs to get an idea of glass spec.
Tube or two of silicone, bobs your mothers brother.

If you are residing in UK I know a fairly good online store with reasonable tank costs. Stands extra but if you are handy, DIY.

Ponds like all things constructed can be destructed. (y)
As mentioned above the financial situation right now is not great with the engine needing work. Once that is fixed (next fortnight hopefully) i will get all the materials together and build Brutus a permanent home. I have a sliding budget at the moment for the car. If my car was healthy last weekend i could have made a cash offer for 3x1foot tank that a nursing home was giving away for free which only needed water fish and transporting home from Sydney. It had some nice LED lights filtration and heating too. Should have hired a rental car in hindsight. But for now the finances are limiting.

I love your fish room set up by the way. I read through that thread but might not have commented. I need to buy a house before i attempt something like that. Or hijack my dads 2 car garage and move in there :rolleyes:

I had thought about a kids pool for the present actually. I'll see what is available locally tomorrow for the short term. But the long term plan with this tank and hopefully Brutus (who might have 18 years left in him) is to couple his tank with an aquaponics set up to grow some of the rarer aquatic plants i can collect here in Australia or just some fruit's herbs and vegetables to eat. I have many plans since joining the AA community.

If i have Brutuses 75G outside in a small scale glasshouse i figure the perspex would be less likely to break if bumped and adding some styrofoam to clad it in winter wouldn't be such an issue. Perspex might be cheaper too for now. I have a room at the moment i can house this in but long term the plan would be to house it in the greenhouse i'll eventually get round to building.

If i went with plywood and perspex i could use a steel 90 degree frame, then add the wood or perspex inside. It needn't be pretty i'm happy with functional for the time being. My budget isn't great right now thanks to a blown head gasket :(. All my power tools were stolen about a year ago too so i'll either replace them or do it with a lot of elbow grease.

I could stand to be better in both departments if i'm being honest but i get by usually in either department. The good thing for me at the moment is that i have a bunch of friendly people here to check on what my brain devises and if need be my nieces grandad is a retired builder who is a perfectionist and would probably jump at the opportunity to help build something interesting. My niece has a cubby house that is lacking only running water thanks to her grandad. We had a nephew use it as a granny flat for 4 months. If my handiwork is lacking I'll recruit him to help. If he helps it will probably wind up being a 500G thing that locals would pay to see. He's dedicated and bored.

As mentioned above the financial situation right now is not great with the engine needing work. Once that is fixed (next fortnight hopefully) i will get all the materials together and build Brutus a permanent home. I have a sliding budget at the moment for the car. If my car was healthy last weekend i could have made a cash offer for 3x1foot tank that a nursing home was giving away for free which only needed water fish and transporting home from Sydney. It had some nice LED lights filtration and heating too. Should have hired a rental car in hindsight. But for now the finances are limiting.

I love your fish room set up by the way. I read through that thread but might not have commented. I need to buy a house before i attempt something like that. Or hijack my dads 2 car garage and move in there :rolleyes:

Thank you for your comment(y)
Employ the builder, uncle grandpa? his knowledge will be useful, all of my motor mechanics tools got robbed from the shed, things I got from my apprenticeship, gutted!
I was keen to build my house but without the builder buddy, probably I would still be waiting. I am responsible for the tanks that's all me, the double garage is my next upgrade! Hey dad, how are you mate, nudge nudge! Fancy a beer? Yeah just sign here(y)
Bored dedicated builder, it's all in that one phrase!

What I will say, if you have considered how much longer the fish will live for which some people don't, I think you may go to the ends of the earth to keep it.

Thank you for your comment(y)
Employ the builder, uncle grandpa? his knowledge will be useful, all of my motor mechanics tools got robbed from the shed, things I got from my apprenticeship, gutted!
I was keen to build my house but without the builder buddy, probably I would still be waiting. I am responsible for the tanks that's all me, the double garage is my next upgrade! Hey dad, how are you mate, nudge nudge! Fancy a beer? Yeah just sign here(y)
Bored dedicated builder, it's all in that one phrase!

What I will say, if you have considered how much longer the fish will live for which some people don't, I think you may go to the ends of the earth to keep it.

The only reason i am hesitant to employ Grandpa at the moment is for the fear he will take the project over. It will be a better looking longer lasting tank if he gets involved though:lol:

Sorry to hear about the tools being burgled. It's not a nice feeling to know the things you earned and valued will probably be sold off for next to nothing by someone who's hardest work is carrying away ill gotten goods.

My dad might not be keen on the fish room in the garage but my wicked stepmother used to have a nice tank so i could probably get her to win him over to the idea :devilish:

The only reason i am hesitant to employ Grandpa at the moment is for the fear he will take the project over. It will be a better looking longer lasting tank if he gets involved though:lol:

Sorry to hear about the tools being burgled. It's not a nice feeling to know the things you earned and valued will probably be sold off for next to nothing by someone who's hardest work is carrying away ill gotten goods.

My dad might not be keen on the fish room in the garage but my wicked stepmother used to have a nice tank so i could probably get her to win him over to the idea :devilish:

As soon as you mentioned being robbed it's like yep, I know that feeling!
The trouble is hands need tools.

The tradesman, in this case grandpa, he will know stuff you couldn't possibly comprehend without spending a lifetime building stuff. My mate/boss-ish who took on my project had the answer for any problem I presented, it was great, I learned so much in the few weeks build time it is unbelievable! If it's a friendly deal you can be taught so much as no one is on a time scale, time=money business type transaction.
I like the angle on the wicked stepmum! Send your old man on walkabout, take her out for dinner, a business dinner I might add! Invite grandpa, by the time he gets back, that's an army of three! Chip the old fella down! :ROFLMAO:

Scraped off the really tough green algea on the 37g, tank looks great now. Gonna do a weekly glass cleaning with the scraper. Works like a charm ;) even got into the sand bed a little and stired it up.

Scraped off the really tough green algea on the 37g, tank looks great now. Gonna do a weekly glass cleaning with the scraper. Works like a charm ;) even got into the sand bed a little and stired it up.

I never use a scraper as it tends to scratch the glass over time I use a green scotch brite pad , it even gets spots you can't get with the scraper
a little more elbow grease but works great , as for the sand my yellow banded maroon clown and yellow watchman goby keep it stirred up ,

I never use a scraper as it tends to scratch the glass over time I use a green scotch brite pad , it even gets spots you can't get with the scraper
a little more elbow grease but works great , as for the sand my yellow banded maroon clown and yellow watchman goby keep it stirred up ,

Wanted to get a blue spotted watchman, but my tank is overstocked as it is. I do 8g wc once a week and have over filtration and a powerful skimmer. I also have 70lbs of live rock which has a crap load of bb and a bunch of filter feeders (sponges, feather dusters, and even alot of barnicles) which allows me to be overstocked. I am going to be moving my biggest fish (flame angel) over to my new tank and maybe a couple of the gobys (purple fire fish, clown goby who is in QT)

Last edited:
Getting a 5.5 gallon today for a shrimp tank. Also might keep a few male endlers or something.

Just went to the lfs looking for a skimmer and return pump for the 60g cube and found what i was looking for! Heres what i got- seaclone150 skimmer-65$, marine land 6g full moon nano which will be turned into a reef-70$, 5lbs of live rock-30$, 20lbs of lie sand-20$ :D happy with my buy today!

Heres a link to my build thread on the 6g full moon nano reef-http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f71/6g-full-moon-nano-reef-build-286161.html

Also found some hitch hikers on the new piece-

image-344652559.jpg

image-1400334329.jpg

image-1047400268.jpg

image-3120492008.jpg

In pic 1 you might be able to see the half eaten starfish my puffer has been enjoying lol. As you can see everyone is loving the new rock, and the blenny has already claimed it as his. Lots of dead and living sponges too

image-3275525860.jpg

Found some worms moving around inside the sponges and crawling around on it. The puffer has eaten a few of them aswell. That makes 75lbs in the 37g lol

Got a lil bit of java moss free with my purchase of a male killifish . Now I have two males and two females in my 29 g

Did a 50 % clean on my vampire shrimp tank and cleaned filters. Needing to add some more plants.

Also found some hitch hikers on the new piece-

In pic 1 you might be able to see the half eaten starfish my puffer has been enjoying lol. As you can see everyone is loving the new rock, and the blenny has already claimed it as his. Lots of dead and living sponges too

Found some worms moving around inside the sponges and crawling around on it. The puffer has eaten a few of them aswell. That makes 75lbs in the 37g lol

You have a beautiful looking tank!

Well fiddled with the new 6g full moon for 2 hours trying to figure out which cords go together out of the 6 there are, the filter is apparently broken and so are the lights except for the moon light which does nothing. Found that one of the wires had seprated from the other and is broken, and am gonna be giving the tank back to the lfs if they will even take it after unwrapping the bio-wheel and the filter cartridge.

Btw guys i got this tank out of the box and it was on sale for that reason (70$) hope the lfs will give me an inbox one or one that is out of box that actually works but the only reason they said they were getting rid of it was because it was out of box and they didnt want it anymore.

Just food, treatment finished yesterday, tanks will be worked on tomorrow. 3 days no water care! Following meds. instructions.

Puffer doing good. :D

Still have problems with 2 tetra, could be egg bound? Feed them mosquito larvae bloodworm and flake.

Otherwise all ok.

Back
Top Bottom