Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-17-2013, 09:03 PM   #2661
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98kshooter View Post

I hear ya! LOL I am on the verge of just changing substrate to rid myself of the little buggers! And its a planted tank so so much work involved there! And having to dip all plants and recycle Blah! The little pests wont win!
Lol even if you did, one would find its way back into the tank some how! How do you get rid of something that can breed with itself. My tank has had them since day 3 and ive tryed my best to get rid of them, now ive just given up and get rid when they get big enough.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
molliwopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:22 PM   #2662
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by molliwopp View Post

Lol even if you did, one would find its way back into the tank some how! How do you get rid of something that can breed with itself. My tank has had them since day 3 and ive tryed my best to get rid of them, now ive just given up and get rid when they get big enough.
That's why I have assassin snails to get the big ones. But when you have so many tiny ones that it looks like your sand is moving. You need to take drastic measures. I've broken down my tank once to change to sand and I really don't wanna do it again till I move.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:14 AM   #2663
Aquarium Advice Activist

My son and I drained my 26 gallon 75% - removed fish, ornaments and plants - took out half the river rock and added eco-complete planted black. Refilled, added plants and ornaments back in - ran filter for an hour with several rinses, then finally added fish back in....

Then I sat back and drank a beverage or 2... lol

Not to be outdone by the 26, we totally drained the 10 gallon after removing plants, ornaments, and fish/ADFs. Dumped the sand and rinsed tank thoroughly. Added 1/2 Eco-complete - 1/2 gravel from 26 gal. Added water, plants, wood and eventually fish/ADFs.

Can you say.....TIRED!!
Old 03-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #2664
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetra1990 View Post
That's why I have assassin snails to get the big ones. But when you have so many tiny ones that it looks like your sand is moving. You need to take drastic measures. I've broken down my tank once to change to sand and I really don't wanna do it again till I move.
Yes! an assassin snail! Might do the trick but the poor little guy would die from being overworked. Today, my fish were slow to wake up...just like me on a chilly, rainy day. Only the third shifters were finishing the clean up, when this third shifter got home...when I kicked on the lights, the shrimp and the Otos were busy... everyone else was crashed out.. well except Guinevere and Elizabeth..the 2 female bettas who as always, were waiting for me and the food. Between the Light restrictions, the double Co2 and the otos, the brown Algae war is just about over... but this snail thing it ain't over yet. Exiled a few more to the betta tanks!
Old 03-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #2665
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98kshooter View Post

Yes! an assassin snail! Might do the trick but the poor little guy would die from being overworked. Today, my fish were slow to wake up...just like me on a chilly, rainy day. Only the third shifters were finishing the clean up, when this third shifter got home...when I kicked on the lights, the shrimp and the Otos were busy... everyone else was crashed out.. well except Guinevere and Elizabeth..the 2 female bettas who as always, were waiting for me and the food. Between the Light restrictions, the double Co2 and the otos, the brown Algae war is just about over... but this snail thing it ain't over yet. Exiled a few more to the betta tanks!
Yep, my freezer has a few ziplock baggies full of frozen snails. Kind of cryptic, but I don't care.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #2666
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetra1990 View Post

Yep, my freezer has a few ziplock baggies full of frozen snails. Kind of cryptic, but I don't care.
Lol thats funny, what some more?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
molliwopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:46 PM   #2667
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by molliwopp View Post

Lol thats funny, what some more?
More ziplock bags or snails? Bags, yes. Snails, heck no!
Old 03-19-2013, 02:07 AM   #2668

Water changes on the 110, both 55's, both 28's, both 29's, the 5g betta tank and the 75. I'm pooped considering I did this all after working all day and attending dale carnegie class tonight.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:19 AM   #2669
Aquarium Advice Activist

Painted my (soon to be) hood for my 50 gallon tank
Also bought a BioMax filter insert.
Starting to get excited getting close to being able to add fish! haha
Old 03-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #2670
Elephant nose Finatic!

Added new bogwood to my elephant nose tank it came through the post. The label on it said for Cichilds? Now I'm concerned! It also has a screw in the bottom to hold the top in place. confused! Well added my old piece to my bettas tank but not sure if i like it.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com