What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I moved my tank from my bedroom to the lounge room was a really big mission

Yeah running tanks add a level of difficulty to the process because the fish can't be just thrown anywhere. Had to fill an extra tank to move a new tank in a short while ago. I had planned to move another tank in my kitchen during the tank shuffle but lost the motivation when i thought of a 100% WC on a 4th tank to moveit 8 feet into another room. I still have to move it but am building a stand for 2x20g on bottom shelf with a 4' 40g on top. Fun times. Once it is done i get to choose 3 new communities of fish to spread out between 80 gallons though. I would like a tank with more depth to go on top.

I failed at making a DIY bubble counter today. Turns out that 3/5 of the one way valves i bought in one pack leak from the side and one of the bottle tops with tubing insert now leaks a lot after squeezing bottles to find leaks

2 out of 5 check valves I've used have failed. I use a plastic syringe to test it. Was not a problem in my DIY CO2 setup because it was under low pressure (just feeding it in the HOB filter). But when I switched to a ceramic diffuser, the back pressure introduced new problems. Went back to the previous method.

No wonder i start falling asleep when i watch the 20g tank
got a chuckle after reading this.

Did some water changes on all my tanks and rearranged some plants yesterday.

But the big thing was talking to my aunt who has a 29g aquarium--and knows very little--and getting her to understand some of the chemistry behind aquariums and how to properly stock it. Sure she just bought 2 common plecos but when they die (I know this sounds horrible) we're going to get her a bushy nose pleco! And get her school of neons up to size:). And she's interested in a planted tank so I'm going to bring her back some moss, guppy grass, and java fern. This a beginning of a wonderful new aquarium keeper!!

Yeah running tanks add a level of difficulty to the process because the fish can't be just thrown anywhere. Had to fill an extra tank to move a new tank in a short while ago. I had planned to move another tank in my kitchen during the tank shuffle but lost the motivation when i thought of a 100% WC on a 4th tank to moveit 8 feet into another room. I still have to move it but am building a stand for 2x20g on bottom shelf with a 4' 40g on top. Fun times. Once it is done i get to choose 3 new communities of fish to spread out between 80 gallons though. I would like a tank with more depth to go on top.

Yea I had a spare tank set up to hold some water all my rock went into a plastic tub and my fish went in another one I still have to arrange the rock when I get home tonight the tank was a bit cloudy last night because I changed it from bare bottom to aragonite sand

Just did some feeding and water testing again. It appears my tank is cycled so it's back to deciding what to add to my tank.

Got an AC 50 and some hornwort. After that I did a water change and replant. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390241655.402396.jpg
I also found a bunch of Cory eggs on my mag float.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390241811.411725.jpg

Did WC on my 20g and 10g, placed some plants in my 3g Betta tank and rearranged plants in my 20g. Taking out plants I do not want anymore. Fed all fish. Life is good.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tank watched, fasted the 20g in the morning gave flakes in afternoon. The first Kuhli i bought still gets very stressed and pale whenever i take a hood light off. I replanted one side of the tank the day after he went in and i think it was an ordeal for it after the stress of being bagged for sale (pretty roughly won't get the lady who caught strike to catch anything else in future). The rest were bagged with no fuss when more stock came in and they are more trusting. I managed to spot 5/6 at the same time today too.

Added a stick as some temporary driftwood for my baby bristlenose. I have a nice bit i found with hollows and a hidey hole underneath that will suit it as an adult soaking. I think the Kuhlis will enjoy it too. I have been adding boiling water for three days to soak 2 larger bits and a pair of weathered sticks. The Bristlenose took about an hour to find the stick but it has clung to it since.

Noticed my 4 Harlequin Rasboras schooling with their reflection at the end of the tank. I should buy the 5 more i had planned to add, but the bristlenose pretty much completed my stocking regime instead of the full 9 HR's i had planned. I may overstock by about 5 HR's to match the schools of NT's and HR's. I'm heavily planted and do 20% bigger weekly WC than Aquadvisor recommends so i think 5 more Rasboras would be safe. The Bristlenose may wind up being moved to a bigger tank in a short while anyway.

Nothing... no tanks to do anything with really. Pretty much everything died after my move. That's why I haven't been around lately. I've got a marbled crayfish and a handful of baby bettas left. Hopefully soon I can get some set back up again when I get my own place again. I've missed you guys.

So as I am doing a water change on one of my tanks. I came up with an idea for a tank. What if you could take a water Despenser with a spout and jug, cut the bottom of the jug off, take a screen mesh and cover the bottom using a gravel tray or something to stop gravel. Then fill with substrate, water, and cycle. Then when doing WC, just fill up a bucket using the spout. Just a thought. Lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Removed some GBR and lampeye killie eggs to hatch, moved a newly hatched batch of albino BN plecos to a grow out tub and waiting for some peacock gudgeon eggs to hatch.

Added three marbles hatchets yesterday and they're getting along nicely. Was feeding the tank today and during the feeding frenzy I noticed some eggs on one of my ghost shrimp. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390435332.161715.jpg

Fed all tanks been shrimp. I didn't see and Cory eggs except one. I'm hoping they all hatched and swam to safety rather than being eaten.

Watched how my gold saum's personality is changing. He's in breed mode too... So that doesn't help. All I'm thinking, is good thing he isn't strong enough to destroy my tank the way he wants to, biting at everything, pushing, pulling, plant nipping, whipping and shaking. But he won't stay 4-5 inches long. I just recently was able to tell it is male.

Alot happend in 10 days, got my shipment from DR. F & S,
3 coralife electric thermometers-$6 each
3g JBJ picotope kit-$41
Hydor thermo heater-$20
5oz of chemi pure- $8
API saltwater master kit- $20
API reef master kit-$25

And then my blenny in the 20 got gill flukes so i ordered some prazipro off ebay for $13 free shipping,

Went to petco, got a tetra heater to heat wc water for $20.

Nitrates were like 80 in the 37g, did a 35g wc and are now at 10. Added chemi pure to canister filter.

Got a $60 rock at the lfs that came with a unknown type of xenia, alot of electic green and blue mushrooms, GSP, and some red mushrooms.

2/3s of xenia died in 2 nights from the nitrates and all the mushrooms died on the rock.

Got fire shrimp for a good deal, $30 going in the 37g wont come out of the rocks and may have died.

Got my pico up, 10lbs of live aragonite, 4lbs of live rock, replaced the filter to a penguin 100 for $25

Stock is-
1 red legged hermit
1 blue legged hermit
1 dwarf zebra hermit
1 black clown goby
10 heads of whammin watermelon zoanthid frag from the 37g
Some glove polyps from the 37g.

Moved the blue tux urchin to the 20g.
Got 4 giant blue nuckel hermits for the 37g and 1 for the 20, also 1 large scarlet reef for the 37g aswell.

Cleaned out my QT and got it ready to go for a new fish.

Treatment in the 20 is going good w/prazi. Dosed twice already and fish are showing good results.

This was all over a 10 day time period ofcourse.

Will post pics of the 3g when the lights come on at 1pm.

I just finished my school of CPDs in my tank with a nice school of 7:). I was going to wait for the big 50% off sale but I couldn't hold out for another month... But goodness do they look great:D. Tomorrow is the water changing day--fun

Luck of the Irish today

Well. Today while i was picking up a free 15g or in that vicinity. I also spotted a tank with some Harlequin Rasboras and Neon Tetras at the Salvation army shop where my sister volunteers. I scouted round as i have picked up 2 nice 20g tanks for $5 each there before and missed a 4foot by a couple of hours a month ago for $25 with stand filter and a light. So the tank looked neglected (in terms of fishkeeping knowledge) but with good intentions. No filter running and about 1/2 a kg of floating food. Water is a mess. will check the Params soon but i count this as saving 7 fish from death by bad water. I asked if it was for sale. Turned out the owner worked there till a fortnight ago but was moved away and left the tank. They gave it to me free as they were glad a fish lover stumbled upon it. I got a nice little cube tank with filter AND i needed more HR's and can home the NT's plus a bristlenose pleco who will keep my lone BP company. Free tank and it was populated with exactly the fish i wanted. So 2 free tanks today and i got some free top ups for my stocking as well :dance: I often complain i am not lucky but i feel as if I occasionally have rolls. Won $135 in a cash grab last week that i spent mostly on my aquariums.

Must go and play with tanks :fish1:

I was planning to set up a shrimp tank today but i will postpone that again (when i begin to work on it i get free stuff so postponing the setup is no issue). I now have three spare filters and tanks i can use them in. My wallet is due for a hammering over the next week or three. I have enough substrate i like to complete maybe 2x 20g tanks and some gravel i am not keen on to do anpther tank if i am motivated.

I did a water change on all 3 tanks, rearranged the 20g and 55g, added a betta to the 20g and fed everyone veggies.

Back
Top Bottom