What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bought some fish without adequate research and found out they grow larger than expected so my tank is now overstocked. I goofed

Added more Red Cherry Shrimps to my 33 gallon shrimp tank:dance: And added some plant nutrients.

Wow that's really good! You take amazing care of your tanks!

I try, i hadnt done a test on my 37g in a few months so i decided to a few days ago and heres what it read...

Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-80

So i did a 35g wc and tommarow i will be doing a 15g wc, but for some reason all my corals, invertebrates, and fish dont really mind it? Ive never lost 1 fish or invert in that tank.

I found the culprit, bioballs. So i will be taking them all out of the canister filter and using them for my 15g QT.

Also added 5oz of chemi-pure i ordered off DR. F&S.

Last edited:
Did a pwc on 4g, fed all tanks. Might go to lfs or petsmart this weekend for plants.

At Petsmart you might want to check out the Topfin gel pack plants. Suitable low light plants include crypt wendtii red and green, crypt undulata, and Bacopa caroliniana.

Was thinking of trying my bettas. My cousins birthday is this year and they want fish for guests to take home. Its a big party since he is turning one.
3esugyba.jpg
This is what I got so far:)

Finally getting my tank back after a 9 month algae bloom which happened after changing the light from fluorescent to T5HO.
Last week prior to UV sterilizer install (camera shows more of the interior of the tank than I could actually see- I could only see in about 2-3 inches) And yes, all this time I was doing 30 - 50% weekly water changes and no lights to no avail.
img_2805063_0_30e39dc7f9156c7780092d8fcd3387e7.jpg

Next is at day four -
img_2805063_1_aeb9a97163aed1df4a9d4745842e7f1c.jpg

And today (day 6) after 30% water change.
img_2805063_2_bea86e13a60046f5144438c6310ec917.jpg

Test kit arrived yesterday, so prior to this change I tested: Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 5, PH 7.4.
Now that I can see in the tank :), I'm thinking of redecorating with rock and perhaps going to a sand substrate. Still weighing the substrate change....chime in with opinions if you so desire.

I reattached my background using baby oil (vs tape) Wow, it looks so much better! Gotta love the random tips I pick up here :)

My husband and me made a thing to secure the pipe I use to fill my tank. I pump water up from a bucket, and it's always slipping out and splashing water everywhere.

This thing works though. It's a section of PVC pipe with a slot so it can fit onto the side of the tank, and two holes at right angles to the slot, for the water-pipe. Works like a charm. No more splashy surprises.

pipe_holder.jpg

My husband and me made a thing to secure the pipe I use to fill my tank. I pump water up from a bucket, and it's always slipping out and splashing water everywhere.

This thing works though. It's a section of PVC pipe with a slot so it can fit onto the side of the tank, and two holes at right angles to the slot, for the water-pipe. Works like a charm. No more splashy surprises.

pipe_holder.jpg

Awesome idea!!

pipe_holder.jpg

I don't use a pump to fill my tank but have had issues when my syphon tube decides to escape. I solved the problem by cutting a hole in the emptying end of the tube and using fishing line and a sinker tied through the hole to weigh it down. That is another great idea.

Editing in
35g. 50% WC on Comet tank. Missed last weeks WC with this tank so will do another 30% tomorrow. Fed peasin the morning and My sister hand fed them some orange when she visited.

20g. Fed peas in the morning, small flake feed for their dinner and a few pellets to sink for the Khulis.

5g. Small WC which brings should mean this tank has 100% WC over 4 small changes in 2 days. The filter that came with the tank is burnt out so i have no idea how long they were being overfed without a filter running but i had to scoop loads of food out when i emptied the tank to transport them home. This was the free tank i picked up with 2 Harlequin Rasboras, 5 Neon Tetras and a Bristlenose.

Changed the water that 3 bits of driftwood are soaking in. picked up about 5 more marbled stones from driveway to start washing for the 20g i hope to set up tomorrow. When cycled i plan to split my Khulis and Rasboras into 1 tank and add more Khulis. Will maybe add a dwarf gourami too. The other tank will have 13 NTs and 2 bristlenoses for now. Will decide on completing the stocking later.

Back
Top Bottom