Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #3071
Aquarium Advice FINatic

so mom's 55 gallon all of a sudden was "messy". filter intake screen was 100% clogged with what I can only describe as a "fluffy substance", and remnants of it floating everywhere. I had just switched food and thought maybe she overfed, but I know she is always careful. It's EVERYWHERE. I noticed one of the Bala Sharks is missing......

Been scooping up all this stuff with a net for two days and doing water changes. the tube wont pick up the "stuff" because it's too heavy.

Today I saw this gem floating by:

So yea, been cleaning up the 55 today. Then I go back home and break down my 20H. some mystery black worm things are in it and my pleco "disappeared". I got alot going on

Old 04-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #3072
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdebb View Post
so mom's 55 gallon all of a sudden was "messy". filter intake screen was 100% clogged with what I can only describe as a "fluffy substance", and remnants of it floating everywhere. I had just switched food and thought maybe she overfed, but I know she is always careful. It's EVERYWHERE. I noticed one of the Bala Sharks is missing......

Been scooping up all this stuff with a net for two days and doing water changes. the tube wont pick up the "stuff" because it's too heavy.

Today I saw this gem floating by:

So yea, been cleaning up the 55 today. Then I go back home and break down my 20H. some mystery black worm things are in it and my pleco "disappeared". I got alot going on
Well that is very sad but now you know what caused that. I understand that all too well.

So I got my 37G moved and due to the Ich i tossed out the sand and rinsed off the rocks and set a few of the big ones in there. My water had got up to 85, so when I put in the new water I made it 88F in hopes that the Ich would die/not be able to reproduce. Kept out all old water also. Took out as many Rams horn snails as I could and the Amano shrimp, and Mystery snail and all but a couple sword plants and the Salvinia Minima I put a little of that back and my driftwood has a little moss growing on it so I took off the floaty stuff and left what had grown on.

Found that a guppy had just dropped fry and had to hunt for teeny tiny babies in the middle of the debris in the bottom of the tank before I moved it.

So when I went to drain the tank to move it, I noticed my little Albino BN Pleco didn't shimmy off of the overflow filter pad when I went to catch him and realized he had become stuck in the pad so I ended up cutting a little of the pad off so he could get out of there!

I found I had 5 Otos still and my 5 assorted Cories. My big fat Spotted Rafael Cat seemed very annoyed at loosing his hidey hole!

Got home and noticed a funny smell. Looked in my MTS holding bucket and no air was bubbling from my bubbler Closer I got the worst the smell and I checked the air pump and it was working , then noticed the tubing was bent backwards forming a closure under the unit stopping the air from getting to the tub.

Also had a Mystery Snail and some misc. Ramshorns too. I could see some MTS still alive but the stench was fierce! Rinsed it out and rescued a few RH, MS and MTS. There were definitely some losses though.

I am over my head with the moving and trying to do some renovations/house repairs, work and family and broken cars /and fixing cars, and not able to , and all the stuff going on with the tanks.

Also found a bloated Gourami in the 72G. So gotta try and fix him too. I am tired and want to .

New to FW fish? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ork&page=rules

FW - 72G / 12G Edge/11.4G Mr Aqua Rimless
SW - Nano 6.6G Edge - Plus a FW 46G bowfront (QT)
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:15 PM   #3073
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hang in there!

Sometimes learning from the mistakes of others is all the education and experience you need.
bigbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:43 PM   #3074
Aquarium Advice FINatic

my situation turned into an operation. Since I just cleaned out my 75 I was considering making it a larger discus tank. I had been telling my mom she needed a larger tank. Her bala sharks, silver dollars and leporinus are HUGE. So I'm in the middle of moving them over from the 55 to the 75, and I will take her 55 (now I have a 20H, a 10 and a 29 gallon to work with as well....tooooooo many tanks lol). The filter media was beyond disgusting. I've transferred all the gravel over after a good rinsing, now it's fill up time. The fish are in a sea of brown right now, but the end result will make them happier. Good thing I live next door

and to Autumnsky, hang in there! Believe me when I tell you I've had it happen all at once like that before
Old 04-28-2013, 11:13 PM   #3075
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Thanks, i am hanging in there!!! But soooooo tired, lol

Nice thing about here, is that I am in good company when there's ups AND downs!!!

New to FW fish? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ork&page=rules

FW - 72G / 12G Edge/11.4G Mr Aqua Rimless
SW - Nano 6.6G Edge - Plus a FW 46G bowfront (QT)
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:22 PM   #3076
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post

Nice thing about here, is that I am in good company when there's ups AND downs!!!
Keep your head up, think of us as a support group lol.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:53 PM   #3077

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post

I know exactly how you feel seems like when one thing happens 10 more follows .. we have had lots of vehicle problems and job situations come up lately and i have looked to my tanks as a way to escape then problems with filters hit ... always something... it helps me to be able to read all the things going on here and knowing im not alone . Hope things get better
Old 04-29-2013, 10:32 PM   #3078
Aquarium Advice Addict

50% water change on the betta tank also added root tab and liquid fert. Topped off the 29, it's water change will have to wait till tomorrow.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:52 PM   #3079
Aquarium Advice Activist

Checked on the tank while grabbing some clothes this evening. Had to add about two inches if water. Apparently the dehumidifier is pulling the water from our tank. I hooked up the air stone to try to add water agitation and maybe keep the tank oxygenated.

It was a little warm today. Everyone seemed fine, and they enjoyed having their bubbles back.

I tested the water. Still no ammonia or nitrites. Nitrates appear to be less than 10 ppm, but it is hard to tell...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1423232756.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	170713
Old 04-30-2013, 04:32 PM   #3080
Elephant nose Finatic!

50 % pwc on my bettas tank took his old filter off so i only have the one running, my hubby added Anubias to the coconut cave and it actually looks good!
My shipment of cherries came today the guy gave us extra some are soo tiny! They went in my elephant nose tank.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com