What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What's everyone use as their freshwater community food?

A variety is good for them. I feed twice daily most days, when i add fruit or veg i sometimes do a third feed in a day.
Everyday i do a mixture of
- Flakes (have about 6 brands of varying quality i switch between till i can completely replace with better brands)
- Pellets (I have 2 types a low quality brand and new life spectrum in fry and community fish sizes)
- Algae wafers. These are not very popular and mostly feed the snails (nutrafin brand)

Twice weekly.
- Fresh salad grown with my WC water specifically for my fish.
- Frozen pea defrosted and mashed up
- Fruit

And for a treat i feed each of these once weekly. Pure meat makes them go nuts.
- Frozen bloodworm
- Freeze dried blackworm (nutrafin brand)
- Frozen brine shrimp (not opened yet will try them out today as an additive to the diet)

I usually feed their meat treat about every three to four days followed by peas the next feed to ensure it digests well. Rough breakdown of exact feeds
14 feeds/week (give or take a few as i do try to fast them once a week and do extra feeds when no algae is there as a supplement for the plecos)
2-3 x meat (bloodworm, blackworm or brine shrimp)
2-3 x peas
7 x flake and pellets (bottom feeders get the bulk of the pellets)
3 x Fresh salad or fruit

Can't wait to see my tank for the first time in 2 weeks! Hope all is well. On the road now..

researched all the different plants I had then took the plunge and planted all my baby plants into the substrate. Eeek! This makes me so nervous. My aquariums are my #2 hobby. Plants are my #1. But aquatic plants are a whole new world!
Loved on my fish, hated on my sand, and wished my bristlenose would come out and say hi. Boo.

researched all the different plants I had then took the plunge and planted all my baby plants into the substrate. Eeek! This makes me so nervous. My aquariums are my #2 hobby. Plants are my #1. But aquatic plants are a whole new world!
Loved on my fish, hated on my sand, and wished my bristlenose would come out and say hi. Boo.

(y) I hope it goes well for you. I was a bit bored with fish keeping (comets only) until i got into the planted tanks which led me to altering the fish selection i have, adding extra tanks and learning a whole lot more about everything aquatic as i go. If you are able to set up DIY CO2 i think it plays a massive part in getting more out of your plants and can be done for under $5. A 2L bottle, airline, airstone sugar and bread yeast will get you started, and some glue to seal the tube into the CO2 bottle is handy as well. I have dirted substrate so nutrients weren't an issue for my plants when i started but have a look at DIY root tabs if you have heavy root feeders. I only add low quantities of ferts and never in a balanced way in my low light set up so for me they haven't been absolutely necessary in growing healthy plants but they seem to make my plants color up further from the low light they're under.

Anyway enjoy the live plants and the challenges that come with them. Itis great when you start to see them thrive and your fish will enjoy the habitat and improved water quality. Congrats on taking the plunge.

Changed over my molly tank into brackish shrimp tank:)

I need to get more salt water!!! Right now I only have an air stone running.

Attachments

• 1393644511370.jpg
    1393644511370.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 1393644531176.jpg
    1393644531176.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 63
Changed over my molly tank into brackish shrimp tank:)

I need to get more salt water!!! Right now I only have an air stone running.

That should not be too hard. You live in an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.:hide: Sounds pretty cool. Will you be stocking local species?

That should not be too hard. You live in an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.:hide: Sounds pretty cool. Will you be stocking local species?

Yeah;) I got the water after skate boarding down the hill, got my shoes soaked and forgot to bring the jug up to my bfs apartment. Gah. But I bought some opae from the store I work at:) They are so cute!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I use their Cichlid Super Color pellets they are like little crumbles as a supplement food. I don't use flakes in general due to how fast they turn into ammonia. Personally have had poor experiences with flakes. :nono: These I have not used so I couldn't say specifically.

Thank you autnnsku

I finally got my kribensis! Is ok to keep him In a community tank by himself or should I get a mother krib my stock is ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393725499.800078.jpg

Did a 70% water change on my 55G fed them blood worm and watched my gold rams chasing anything that moved round there spot in the tank

Added ferts before the lights came on, replaced diy co2 bottles, and of course feed the lil guys.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

WCs for all 3 tanks, restarted one of the CO2 yeast cultures (I am leaning towards the dark side every time I do this), nitrate/phosphate testing in the planted tank, daily ferts.

50 % clean on my elephant nose tank and re scaped it. 50 % clean on my Giant African shrimp tank and added a second filter to the tank.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm having an algae out break. All different types. It was even pearling. I did two water changes back to back, scrubbed the glass and took out the driftwood and leaves with it on there. I need some better ferts. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393802948.471678.jpg

I also did water changes on my 36 and 10.

Pwc on several tanks, added Hygro Compacta babies to tanks and an unidentified Anubias, labeled assorted. Moved one tank to a different room added a new stand for the 6.6G Edge, wiped down tanks, moved some small furniture swept behind the cabinets and stands.

One pwc was on the 2.5G after moving it decided to clean the filter pads after it didn't restart, then got a mess from the filter pad it the clean water, then found my impeller shaft fell out and that is why it didn't restart. o did another 50% pwc, replanted the little Hygro.

Moved 2 larger plants from the 6.6G as they were very tiny babies at the start, thought they were Florida Sunset Crypts, though they look much like the Tropica, so I will be looking a little closer to see how to tell the difference.

Moved the QT to a different room, and that was another 50% pwc. Somehow I ended up redoing a lot of what I did earlier today. :facepalm: lol Oh well it is done!

Back
Top Bottom